About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Thursday, June 25, 2009

Reading, Level 8

or why it takes so long for the Tongginator to complete her daily homeschooling lesson...


TONGGINATOR: (reading) I got a big hug... (no longer reading) Hey, momma, I want a big hug right now. I love big hugs, especially big squeezes. Can you squeeze me tight right now?

TONGGU MOMMA: (giving her a big squeeze) Of course I can. Now you need to keep reading.

TONGGINATOR: Okay, Momma. (reading again) Matt can pat the sad cat... (no longer reading) Who's Matt? And do you think he's petting one of OUR cats? Maybe it's Rusty... or maybe it's Molly. Although Molly really only lets Daddy pet her, not even you can pet her really.

TONGGU MOMMA: Honey, it's a pretend cat. Keep reading.

TONGGINATOR: (reading again) Don cut his lip... (no longer reading) Ouch. I bet that hurt. Hey, Momma, do you think he would like the Boo-Boo Doggy or the Boo-Boo Princess ice pack best? (now noticing my expression) Umm... never mind.

TONGGINATOR: (reading again) Jan can hop and run... (no longer reading) I can do that, too! Look, Momma! (she jumps down to hop, then notices my expression and returns to her seat)

TONGGINATOR: (reading again) Jim can not hop... (no longer reading) I bet Jim feels sad that he can't hop. But maybe he's little. Maybe he's just three or something and that's why he can't hop yet.

And on and on and on... I've already started praying for her kindergarten teacher. Will you please join me?

Several of you commented on the Tongginator's writing earlier this week, so I thought I should sing the praises of our homeschooling reading/ writing curriculum. The Tongginator and I use the Sonday Learning to Read System, a multi-sensory structured phonics, reading, writing and spelling program.

Originally created for use with children diagnosed with dyslexia or sensory processing disorder, it's growing in popularity within and outside of the special needs community. My sister used it with her two oldest boys - one with special needs, one without - and raved about it so much, I had to try it with my little sensory gal. Once I tried it, I had to fork over the money for it. It's expensive (like, obnoxiously expensive), but I cannot sing my praises loud enough. I LOVE it!!!

The Tongginator can, at this moment, read (no more sounding out!) any three letter words containing a vowel in the middle (except for e), all three letter words ending in "ay" and also any four letter words containing the middle vowels "ee." She can also write all of those words during a spelling test. We are moving on to the "e" words this next week and I expect she'll master them within a few days.

It's the curriculum, y'all! Of course, she's smart, too. But I'm her momma, so I have to say that. Heh. (But she really is smart.)

31 comments:

Tonggu Grammy said...

Just in case you doubt TM, she REALLY is smart. This is coming from a Pre-K teacher with 25 yrs. experience. Of course, I am also her grammy and may be only slightly prejudiced.

Jennifer said...

While I am sure it can be slightly annoying that she stops so often, I learned from PBS Kids "commercials" that elaborating on and making up stories about the characters in your book help you become a better reader in the long run.

Chelsea Gour said...

I can so totally relate! I have homeschooled for 7 years (12 year old twins). I have homeschooled Isabel for 3 (7yr old). If I had started with her, I might not have kept going! She reads exactly like that!

Sharie said...

I agree with Jennifer - she's not only reading, she's comprehending!! No matter how annoying that may be:)

Wade's World said...

You are going to have so much fun doing homework with her the next few years!!!

Aunt LoLo said...

I believe you when you say she's smart. ;-)

I remember, when I was a kid, as SOON as kids could sound words out in a decent speed, my mother would include them in the daily scripture reading. We would read a chapter every night, and everyone would take turns reading a verse. It really helped!! It gave us confidence, in our ability as well as our presentation, and (as an added benefit) Myrnie and I were the ONLY ones in our 7th grade honors English class who knew what the heck Shakespeare was talking about. ;-)

Oh, and I get the same commercials with BBJ, except we're learning shapes and colors instead of words. (I was so proud of her, though - yesterday, she looked up at a bouncing logo on a movie screen and said, "Mama! Wong Sik! (yellow) Wong sik oval!!" We're still working on separating our two languages...)

bbmomof2boys said...

hmmmm....has it been that long since my boys have done kindergarten? I didn't think they started to read during their first year at school! She's doing awesome! Are you afraid that she might be too far ahead and then get bored? I had that problem with my oldest. He's pretty smart and when we had our parent teacher conference the teacher told me he'd finish his work and then disturb the other kids. I asked her to give him some challenging work - duh!! She told me that she didn't want him to get too far ahead...huh? yeah, I nipped that one right in the bud and got him into a different class!

Hugs,
Carla

Buckeroomama said...

She's doing VERY well! Always knew she's one smart cookie. :)

Jboo said...

What a great program -- so fun to read at such an early age! Good work little Tongginator!

Janet

Sherri said...

Orton Gillingham is all the rage right now. We have a dyslexic school here in our town that uses their methods and curriculum.

Of course Tongginator is smart!

I have not followed through on my plan to have Olivia read all summer. I had better get the books out!

prechrswife said...

Very good job, Tongginator! Love the commentary, too. :-) I've taught 5th graders who couldn't comprehend that well.

Patricia/NYC said...

Way to go with the reading, T!! Great job, TM!!

I laughed though, as Kiara does THE SAME thing while listening to a story (we're not yet there with the reading...just a few words right now)...

Jillene said...

hehe!! That sounds like a reading session at my house!!

Mahmee said...

Good grief! That is something to be proud of alright!
This post cracked me up as it reminded me so much of R and how she 'communicates' while doing any little thing.
M.

Saint Louis Family Robinson said...

Ohmigosh! That sounds SOOOO like Josie... it drives me crazy trying to get through a book... she will ask 3000 questions and now she's adding the "what if..." statements to EVERY sentence we read. Seesh. I know it's great that she's thinking and comprehending, but inside my head I hear myself screaming "How about just enjoying the story in front of us!" LOL!

Oh and here's something funny: Todd fell asleep the other night while reading a book to her... she got side-tracked and was creating her own little sub-plot and while she was chattering on, he fell asleep! Man, she was 'hot' when she realized Daddy was not listening!!!!

Thanks for the Sonday tip!

Carla said...

VERY good reading (and comprehension). :) Of course she's smart...and yes, she's ahead of where entering K should be, but it seems like she enjoys it so why not!

Mamatini said...

Wow! I'll just echo what others have mentioned about her elaboration skills. As tough as it is to hear her go on and on speculating about a sentence, that was one of the areas where Isa struggled initially in Kindergarten. She is such a realist that it was hard for her to 'imagine' and flesh out the details of a story when her teacher asked (though that had a lot to do with her much more reserved personality, too.)

Ina, however, being a Tonggu gal, seems to have no problem at all in the imagination and talking department!

mommy24treasures said...

that is SO Chloe! She is the exact same way with reading. Actually everything, the girl does not get in a hurry at all. Send her to get something, by the time she brings it you forgot you sent her.

Janet said...

She IS really smart. Belle can read those, but has to sound them out.

And yes, that is how our reading lessons go too, and why they last so STINKING long!

Marla said...

Dang, she is one smart cookie! And LOL @ stopping and interjecting something after each sentence. That made me giggle. But hey, at least you know she's getting the comprehension down, too. :)

adoptionroad said...

That sounds very familiar. LeighAnna would probably want to create a story later using all the characters of the reading assignment but make me dictate it since her writing isn't quite there yet. And then, just because, I'm sure she'd create a dance to tell the story. The reading program sounds great but I'm already needing to use the Sonlight program we never quite finished for Pre-K.

Briana's Mom said...

LOL! I can't stop laughing because Briana constantly stops me during reading her a story too! Bri is always pointing something out in a book or asking what something is. It takes twelve years to read one story!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

That sounds like a wonderful program.....and I do think it is great that she asks questions. Comprehension is so important!!

Hugs,

Lisa

Kristin said...

As a kindergarten teacher, I say, yes, pray for her teacher!!!

Seriously though, TM is quite ready for kindergarten. Oh my. Reading like she is? Wow. And asking all those questions? Yes, they can be annoying but show such creativity and intelligence.

Having a five year old at home right now also made me decide to jump to teaching fourth grade next year. Too much five-ness is not good for me!! I'll come back to kindegarten when my little girls are bigger. :)

Kristin said...

Let's try that again. TM is not ready for kindergarten. The Tongginator is quite ready to go! My mind is mush tonight. Chalk it up to 8 hours in the car with my four kids.

Super Mommy said...

Okay - if you can only get her to stay focused!! LOL - I'm sure that's easier said then done - and if you did - where would these cute little conversations come from?? ;0)

Mei-Ling said...

... LOL.

The Source said...

What her kindergarten teacher will think is going to depend entirely on her teacher's attitude. With Darling Daughter, we either get "Too active and talkative" or "She's so enthusiastic and curious!" We prefer teachers who LIKE children with a love for life and learning. :) Yeah, that's how I like to put it.

Liene said...

Sounds like what we go through when we either A) read to Eriks or B) have him read since we're trying to teach him. One thought after the next trying to figure out why. My mom, also a teacher with 30+ yrs experience has said that this is very much a trait of smart and curious kids. It can drive you nuts though! Don't ask me how many times I've said, "Enough please! You need to continue reading/or would you like me to stop or keep going because if you're talking I can't read."

Soliloquy said...

As our sweet friend, Alece, calls it.... not ADD. It's ADOS

Attention Deficit Ooh Shiny!!!

This is a CLASSIC post!

Jean said...

I am currently HS my 9 yr old- home from China only 7 months. I would be thrilled if she read like that and then elaborated because that would mean she was comprehending what she read!

Way to go Tongginator! Have you thought about continuing HS her?

I am going to check out the program you mentioned- Thank you!!