About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Thursday, June 4, 2009

Birthday Bashing

Thanks y'all so, so much for the birthday wishes for both my momma and me. And the raccoon names... oh, the raccoon names. ALL of you made me laugh so hard, but I have to say my top three included Veronica's Cheney, Kiy's Bulwinkle and Sarah's get-the-hellheck-out-of-my-yard. All y'all are just too clever by half. Thanks for giving me something to laugh at as I inch one step closer to forty celebrate another year of life. (And Rhonda? It was birdseed. Bulwinkle get-the-hellheck-out-of-my-yard Cheney raccoon was eating birdseed.)

It's been a very busy few days, so I've been a bit of a slacker in the blogging department, but I know y'all want to hear how I celebrated my 35th birthday. Because I'm so fascinating and all.

I spent four hours (FOUR!) in the morning attending the Tongginator's end-of-preschool picnic. Joy! Actually, it was a very fun few hours, especially since ALL of the parents attended. Plus, the children are five or nearly five now, which means they pretty much entertain themselves as long as food and swings are available. Although there was that small incident involving an unfortunate reaction to swings AFTER food. But it didn't involve the Tongginator. And I was able to share my wet wipes. So it was all good.

Although I'm not sure the momma and child involved felt the same way.

In the evening, the Husband and the Tongginator took me out to eat at our favorite local Chinese restaurant (where Wanda lives). I ate Firecracker Shrimp (oh, yum!), rice, steamed dumplings and a fortune cookie. Which is actually my all-time favorite cookie except possibly for those sinfully delicious Samoas. But Samoas are Evil whereas fortune cookies pretend to be crackers, so I like to tell people I prefer fortune cookies when I really don't.

After dinner, the Husband even willingly played a game of Scrabble with me. Which is incredibly kind of him, especially seeing as how I typically beat him like 600 to 250. Last night, however, I felt really tired, so I barely eked ahead by 50 points. But I'm not bragging or anything.

So... did y'all notice that I skipped about five hours there? I went directly from my morning plans to my dinner plans. And there is a reason for that. Warning: If you are male and know me personally, stop reading now.

Really. Stop reading.

Okay... so... hello again to all of my female readers and the one male who sometimes reads here and doesn't actually know me in real life... yesterday afternoon I proved yet again that Tonggu Momma is a Complete and Total Idiot. I decided to undergo my first ever bikini wax mild torture on my birthday.

ON MY BIRTHDAY, y'all.

If you have never before made the extremely moronic decision to undergo this treatment, ask around. Your friends will tell you that it does not hurt. They will tell you that the minuscule amount of discomfort only lasts for a second. They will tell you that the embarrassment you feel is totally worth it. Yes, they will.

But they lie.

And that's all I will say about that.

35 comments:

Aunt LoLo said...

Wait....you PAID somebody to do the waxy deed? Oh, mama...that's just masochistic.

I'm glad the picnic was fun, though. I wouldn't wish away these years for anything, BUT...to have the kids entertain themselves? Push THEMSELVES on the swings? Sounds decently BLISSFUL to me. ;-)

bbmomof2boys said...

Never done the "waxy deed" as Aunt LoLo called it. Never want to because of the exact reason you stated - our friends lie - they WANT to see us in pain!! :)

Happy Belated to you and your mom! Sorry I missed it.

Hugs,
Carla

Jennifer said...

Happy belated birthday!

As for the bikini wax, I don't think we ever discussed it, but I would have told you it wasn't that bad. I was thinking about scheduling one soon myself with our upcoming trip to the Keys, but I think I waited too long (we leave on Sunday).

Stefanie said...

Birthday? Birthday!! How did I miss this??
Happy, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you, TM!
Hope your birthday was one to remember :)
Sorry to hear about the wax nightmare... have never and will never go there...

KiT said...

Happy happy (belated) birthday - my fellow Gemini. My "big day" is coming up soon and a picnic sounds great, dinner out even better, but I think I will skip the middle event. OUCH!

happygeek said...

I'm wincing just thinking about it.
Mind you, I'm too chicken to even pluck my own eyebrows, so when my 35th finally rolls around, I will not be doing THAT to celebrate.

The Wade's said...

Oh TM...Why oh why did you willingly have that done on your birthday? I have never gone there, and never plan to.

But I'm glad that you had a wonderful birthday!

Patty O. said...

I'm hurting just thinking about that waxing. Yikes!!! I don't even like getting my eyebrows waxed, so I can't imagine ever subjecting myself to that kind of torture. You poor, poor birthday gal. Happy b-day, btw!!

Blue said...

Ahahahahahahahhaaaaaaaa *gasp* hahahahahahhahahaaaaaaa!!!!
*ooh, stitch in side*

WHEW! Sorry to laugh at your expense, TM, but the mental picture of your face at the conclusion of the 'waxy deed' has made me giggle. hehehehheeheeee.

Gail said...

Just wanted to say Happy Birthday (you youngster) a little late, it sounds like it was pretty special. EXCEPT for the crazy thing you did with the waxing....you shoulda asked me...I'd be honest. I'd have to be anesthetized and asleep to have it done, and then great pain meds afterwards! Not ever going to happen here. I can barely get through my eyebrow waxing without tearing up.

Marla said...

Yikes, the eyebrows are bad enough, no way I'm letting that hot wax go any further south.

Glad you had a fabulous (albeit painful) birthday!!

jen@odbt said...

Ouch! Other than the beauty treatment, sounds like the rest of your birthday was fun.

Kiy said...

No wax is coming near this gal! Heck, I don't even have the courage to get my eyebrows done, I'd near be able to do "the other". I'm impressed with your bravery. Yikes!

Happy you enjoyed your day, and here's a very happy belated b'day wish going out to your mama. I somehow missed that it was her birthday too!

Sending you lots of ibuprofen wishes,

Kiy

Jboo said...

Sounds like it was a mostly fun birthday!! You are one brave lady to undergo that tortue, esp. on your b-day!

Janet

Carla said...

I'm either shocked that your friends lied to you or shocked that you believed them....just the thought of having that done brings tears to my eyes. But I have to ask, was it worth it? Will it be worth it when it starts to grow back?

LOL

I often think about those OB/GYN and wonder what they think and prefer....

Johnny said...

That last part made me think of the scene in "The 40 year old virgin".

They shot that in "real time". i.e. he really did undergo the wax treatment and they shot the real pain he was experiencing (which is why all the actors including the technician were trying very hard not to laugh).

Oops, did I giggle at your pain.

Sorry.

Laura L. said...

Oh,TM! I'm not sure if I could ever do the waxy deed. What a way to celebrate your birthday.

Kayce said...

Happy (belated) Birthday!!!!!

As always you make me smile! Love the scrabble stuff...I'd have to do favors to get my husband to play that game with me, birthday or not!

As for the wax...I just stick to the eyebrows! Okay and maybe the occasional mustache. Ain't being a woman grand!??!

Juliette said...

Happy belated birthday!
As we would say in French "C'├ętait au poil!"

Dawn said...

Glad you had a happy birthday for most hours of the day!

I've never tried that procedure 'cause I know the girl friends LIE about it. Just like they told me childbirth was similar to bad cramps. I don't know what kind of cramps they've experienced, but I've never had any like *that*. LOL

Blessings!

PS - I sent you an email on the subject.

Doug and Terrye said...

Bless your heart...after enduring that kind of unusual punishment I think you should have a second day of birthday fun that is pain free :)

Terrye in FL

Sarah said...

You did that? On your BIRTHDAY?! Thanks for going against the grain and not lying about it :)

Heather of the EO said...

Um...a bikini wax for your birthday? Oh you silly goose.

Georgia Peach said...

holy schnikees! ouch!

Big A and I once agreed to have a siding rep come by on our anniversary (oh so romantic)

big mistake...huge.

but no where near the birthday wax. Sheesh. I agree with terrye in FL...today should be regarded as partial birthday do-over!

Happy partial birthday do-over!

Sharie said...

OMG I'm rolling! Next year I say - get a pedicure - or a massage - or an anything but that! Besides - that's kind of girly for a self-proclaimed non girly girl!

Wanda said...

Uummm......it's Wanda! No, not THAT Wanda. (I actually hadn't read that post since I've been in blogger h..l for the past 2 weeks. It works for me when it wants. Very moody. BTW. Your blog has been coming up with the wallpaper showing under your posts for about 3 days now. Not sure if it's me or you now. Getting fed up.)

So, your birthday sounds ALMOST great except for the torture part. Call it a rite of passage.

;-)

Wanda (not the fish)

Janet said...

Well, I am personally offended that you didn't choose the name SNOWPANTS for your raccoon. The kids thought of it themselves, you know. ;-)

As for the bikini wax. Ouch. I have never had one. Never plan on it. Ugh.

My Baker Boys said...

Eeeeeek - 35!! That's what I'll be this year!

So, what's it like? Did you slip and fall and break a hip yet?

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

OUCH!!! You are braver than I am my friend!! The eyebrows are as far as I will go....

Glad you had an otherwise wonderful bday!!

Lisa

Elizabeth Channel said...

Wow--I haven't had one of those in like 9 years...you are tough!

So glad you have a great birthday...except for the waxing thing...which was of your own choosing...

: )

Dorsey said...

I think I could withstand the embarrassment, unless I was growing a national forest...ahem...there...

But I have GREAT friends who tell me that YES it hurts! Luckily my BFF has agreed that when I get the courage up, she'll go with me. So we can suffer together. =)

Debbie said...

I just don't think I could ever undergo that. Ouch!
Glad you had such a great birthday.

Misty said...

my sister and i once dubbed ABMs (akward bonding moment) and that is what i thought of when reading dorsey's post. i think i'd only do THAT w/ my sis!!
and... aren't you like a sensory gal or sometihng?? like in the you don't like crazy sensations? i personally am a bit intrigued about a wax job (as in, would i like it or not), but truth be told i'm wayyyyy too low maintenance to even bother. if it involves upkeep, i say no thanks, sensory not included!! :) happy birthday belatedly to both you and tonggu grammy! and i am also curious if you find that a couple of days later, was it worth it? did you like the wax job completed?

alece said...

happy birthday!

oh, and i hear you about the wax. my first time, i cried from the pain. i also have a weird reaction to things like pain and awkward situations (which, of course, perfectly sums up the whole bikini wax experience) --- i laugh uncontrollably. so there i lay, chicky doing her thing. i am laughing---loud and non-stop---and have huge tears rolling down my cheeks.

AND i've gone back and done it again.

what's wrong with me!?

Alyson and Ford said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!
Sorry, no experience in the "wax-thing".... not going to try it now for sure...Sounds ugly!!
I wear board shorts over my bathing suit so I figure I don't need to have such torture!

Alyzabeth's Mommy