About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Monday, May 18, 2009

They Already Know Her

Some days I wish I could just carry around a video camcorder without looking like a complete moron. Because there are times I doubt my ability to paint the full and complete picture of something that went down transpired. I can describe the event, for the most part, but I can't fully convey the tone, the spirit, the moment. Last Thursday was one such day. The Tongginator and I traveled to a place we'd never been before, meeting many, many people we'd never before seen.

Y'all, we attended kindergarten orientation.

And the Tongginator made her presence KNOWN.

I believe I've mentioned before that our neighborhood contains a Horde of Children. Among that horde are ten children - from our bus stop alone - who will attend kindergarten or first grade at the Tongginator's elementary school. This does not, of course, include twins Pocket and Posies, who are kindergartners this year at a local parochial school. And it does not include the many older elementary students who shall protect our little ones ride the bus alongside this newest crop of school-aged children. I say all of this to explain and confess: our street hugely contributed to the the look of sheer panic that settled on the principal's face.

You see, Maryland guidelines offer 22 as the number of students per kindergarten class, even though most classes average around 18 children. And our local elementary school employs four kindergarten teachers. During orientation, 72 children - seven from our bus stop alone - arrived with their parents in tow, ready to learn all about Going To School.

Quick... do the math, y'all.

I say again, the principal's face deteriorated into a look of sheer panic as she surveyed this extremely crowded room, no doubt imagining the many hours she would soon spend begging the district for a fifth kindergarten teacher. Over 150 people stood shoulder to shoulder, struggling to find breathing room, with their little children wiggling to and fro. The principal called all of the preschoolers to the front of the room to sit on some carpet space, hoping to free up additional room in the back for the over-protective ever-so-involved parents.

I stood among them.

The Tongginator, however, did not sit amid the crowd of 69 children who squeezed together elbow-to-elbow. Instead, she stood - one of just three Not Following Directions - towards the rear of the carpet, about fifteen feet and twenty people from me. The principal encouraged the three standing children - among them my daughter - to "please take a seat so that we can get started."

And the Tongginator... oh, the Tongginator... she turned to the principal, amid a room crowded with over 150 people, placed her hands on her hips and said ever-so-sweetly and oh-so-loudly, "EXCUSE ME, but there is NO SPACE."

Oh yes, she did.

The entire room broke into laughter as the principal looked down and replied, "oh, you're right. Here... come over here and have a seat near me." The Tongginator thankfully obeyed as one of my neighbors shouted, "Tonggu Momma, THAT'S your daughter!"

Alas, yes... that is my daughter. And now maybe the faculty will fully understand what I meant when I wrote on her student personality profile: "Highly talkative and very persistent, the Tongginator responds well to adults who possess strong behavior management skills."

Because that IS my daughter.

41 comments:

Buckeroomama said...

Good for her! Spunky. :)

This is going to be your the beginning of your many kindergarten memories with the T. Enjoy!

Aunt LoLo said...

AHAHAHAHAHAHHA.

Methinks this is some sort of Cosmic Payback for the panty comment in church a few weeks ago.

;-)

(You know what REALLY impresses me, though? She knows what she wants to say, but she's still POLITE. Ya done good, mama.)

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

I cannot wait for the Kindergarten stories! I'll be sharing them two as I have 2 going in the fall!

Heather of the EO said...

That's just a wee bit embarrassing huh? Oh, that girl. She never fails to crack me up.

happygeek said...

A princess needs her space you know.
Good thing she and the principal are on the same wavelength.

Jboo said...

Although I chuckled a bit, it is nice that she speaks up for herself! And wow -- that is a lot of kids for kindergarten! Fun times ahead for you all, I'm sure!

Janet

autumnesf said...

You know, I'm cringing too! But we will have the kid that refuses to talk, refuses to follow directions, refuses to get involved and bursts out crying when forced.

Oh, and lets add that we will have JUST moved into that state within hours of her starting school.

I might as well bring a lawn chair and hang at the school for a few days.

Ugh..

Andrea said...

Aw, kindergarten - I remember it fondly! Good for her for speaking up and using her manners.

Dita said...

Oh how FUNNY! I would have been in tears. It's gonna be a LONG year for that principal. Hey, what's in the water over there on your street? Holy COW 7 kids at your bus stop starting school?

TM, be prepared for many visits to that school...perhaps you might consider getting a teacher's aide position so you're on site when they call you upteen times a week...take if from one who knows!

Jillene said...

hehe!! That is AWESOME!! And I too would love to carry around a video camera. I tend to forget half of the things and I'm not the best with words.

Saint Louis Family Robinson said...

As usual, I'm laughing out loud (I've learned, the hard way, to set my coffee aside BEFORE opening your blog).

Also, sending you a BIG THANK YOU your way... I feel you do a great job in preparing me for the upcoming year with my own Tongginator! LOL!

LaLa said...

Funny funny...hey, she ended up with a front row seat with the Principal... : )

This year there are SEVEN K classes at Annslee's school! Lucky for me I get to learn from you as A doesn't go until 2010 : )

Veronica Mitchell said...

I could have written this myself. We just took my oldest to her K orientation. When we divided into classes and took the kids to meet their teachers, my daughter was the ONLY ONE who could not sit still. She stood. She spun. She pointed. She flopped. She lay. She never, never sat.

In addition, she was one of only a handful of white kids, and is so pale she is almost vampiric. Between her glow-in-the-dark color and her constant motion, my girl will always be easy to spot.

Johnny said...

Born Leader.

(btw, our kiddo's elementary had to have 7 kindergarten classes this year!)

redmaryjanes said...

Hey, she was just speaking the truth!

Wanda said...

Aren't kindergarten orientations FUN?

I am impressed she really knows her mind. You have a whole wack of things to brace yourself for but she will always land on her feet.

day by day said...

Oh, that is funny! Well, at least you can rest assured that she can hold her own...and hey, that is a good thing! : )

Suzy said...

Ok, NOW Monday is off to a good start. Thanks for the post. I really am not looking forward to the school years, but as I have a few more before that's an impending problem, I'll just thinkg about that another time...

The Source said...

That's a LEADER and a THINKER! She ended up with the best seat, all eyes on her AND everyone knows who she is! Yep...she's going to be Queen Bee. Good going, girl!

Kim said...

You know... she is just the kind of kid that the teachers actually end up really loving. Full of personality and spirit.

Beach Mama said...

It's a good thing they got acquainted early on; The Tongginator might be spending a lot of time in the Principal's office:). My mama told me that I used to "correct" my Kindergarten teacher when she recited the Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes differently than how I learned them. Sometimes you have to stand up and be heard!

Sharon said...

You are such a good momma to know your daughter. So cute how you tell it!

Becky said...

You tell 'em, Tongginator! Sounds like the principal handled it well. If I've learned anything as an adult, it's that kids have reasons for EVERYTHING. And sometimes they're absolutely right.

Carla said...

Oh that sounds like it was so much fun! IN both the true meaning of the word and the sarcastic version as well. ;) LOL

72/4 = a whole LOT of Kindergarteners per room! While not at the max of 22, still too close for comfort because you know some kids didn't make it I'm sure.

we've been known to write "our child needs a coach/leader/etc. with LOTS of patience" on forms before. ;)

Patricia/NYC said...

LOVE her!!!! Oh I can picture the entire scene! lol!!

Our Kindergarten class will expand to 9, yes, NINE classes of 28 students each, in the Fall...did I mention how crowded my neighborhood has become??! ;)

prechrswife said...

Can't wait for the kindergarten stories!

Dawn said...

Ahh... it's gonna be a good blog year! *snort*

At least it won't be a shock for the staff that first week. They've seen her in action and have had their warning.

Seriously, I'd rather a child be more outspoken that cringe every time their spoken to or required to be in front of a group. No problem there for T!!!

Blessings!

alece said...

think the teachers are already making bets (and bribes) about who will get her in their class!?!?

ha! i love a girl with spunk. T sure's got some!

Sherri said...

Oh, TM, I wrote the same thing on Olivia's profile! I figured I was probably the only parent who wrote such a thing, but you were also a teacher once, were you not? You know what to do keep those school personnel happy!

Olivia walks into her school each day like she owns the place. I'm sure the Tongginator will be the same.

Mamatini said...

Heeee! I'm sooo excited to be hearing Kindergarten stories from you! (Especially poignant since this week Kindergarten is coming to a close for Isa.)

P.S. I also thought she was very polite when speaking her mind. Well done, TM.

Briana's Mom said...

I seriously love the Tongginator. She is just awesome! She tells it like it is.

They might need a extra kindergarten teacher just for the Tongginator. ;)

Why am I feeling a little nervous that this might be a glimpse into my future? :)

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

That is our girl.....I just love her spunky personality!!!! I can hardly wait to read the blog posts come September......I am sure you will have more material than you know waht to do with!!!

Lisa

Sharie said...

OH I can't wait for school to start - you will have SO much to blog about it will become a full time job - I sure hope your hubby likes to clean:)

Doug and Terrye said...

It's that wonderful persistence that will take her far in life! :)
When my boys started kindergarten

Terrye in FL

KiT said...

Wow - your neighborhood sounds great! At least from the Togginator's perpective - B would love having that many kids to play with at any time. We attended kindergarten orientation recently as well, but it wasn't funny or good material for a blog post at all. I want my $ back! ;)

Patty O. said...

I LOVE it! She is so spirited and confident. She is going to go far in life with that spunk!

Mahmee said...

Ha! Awesome. I laugh yet, I will tell you that the Tongginator and my R sound IDENTICAL! I think I'm frightened now of kindergarten orientation. (gulp)
M.

The Gang's Momma said...

"Highly talkative and very persistent, the Tongginator responds well to adults who possess strong behavior management skills."

Yeah. I'm copying and pasting that one to my files for future reference. I think Li'l Empress's future teachers will appreciate the warning!

Janet said...

Tee hee. Humbling, yes. She would SO thrive in my classroom. I'm a Nazi. ;-)

Kayce said...

HEHE!! Kinder will be sooo much fun for all involved!

CC said...

And make sure you underline that last sentence!

Our current K has 30 kids per room!!! And, my friend's neighborhood school will have K classes with 35+ kids per room. No thanks to massive budget cuts. As a former teacher she is irate and freaked and looking into private school!