About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Friday, May 29, 2009

Telephone Belts and Hula Skirts

At some point in their lives, pretty much all women face last-minute wardrobe self-consciousness. I mean, I definitely felt that way in 1986 after donning a white telephone cord belt, then hearing errant giggles throughout my third period math class. (Do y'all even remember those belts? Because I totally do. It's like that thing is burned into my brain, screaming, "why, oh why did you think that was a good look for you?!?!!")

Tell the truth, y'all - even if it wasn't the telephone cord belt, it was SOMETHING. Maybe it was white hose with dark shorts... or perhaps the whole Flashdance sweatshirt thing... or the pegged jeans. Whatever it was, I think I can safely say that all women wince when looking back at past personal styles. I can't be alone in this. Right?

Anyone? Anyone? Buellar?

The Tongginator joined the ranks of wardrobe second-guessers yesterday, just before her preschool class Hula Party. The teachers told the children to come dressed in Hawaiian attire. And let's just say that the rest of the class pretty much arrived wearing shorts and floral shirts, while the Tongginator showed up in... well... this...

Lego Boy, does this skirt make my butt look big?

No, it's fine, Tongginator. You look beautiful. Really.
Umm... that's supposed to be a grass skirt, right?


Yes! It is! Lego Boy, I think I love you! Let's
run off together... our moms won't mind!


Y'all may be wondering exactly how the Tongginator formed the crazy idea inspiration for her hula look. Well... you must not own this DVD. Obviously we do. Not that I'm complaining about the DVD or anything. I mean, it's great - it totally gives us a break from all of those Mei Mei songs. (And is it just me or are those Mei Mei gals walking around in dresses that are a tad too revealing?) Not to mention providing respite from the never-ending Hi-5 dance numbers and Kai-Lan's "SUPER!!!!" shout.

Can you tell that I love children's programming? Thank goodness the Tongginator's favorite channel is the Food Network.

And for more creative outfits, check out Fashion Challenge Friday at Do They Have Salsa in China?

32 comments:

The Source said...

Oh my age is showing! I have NO idea who any of those people you mentioned might be. Bert & Ernie, Barney and then Bob the Builder...that's it for me.

I think your girl looks FABULOUS in her Tinkerbell-inspired Hula outfit. Fairies go on vacation, too, you know.

happygeek said...

Something tells me that Butterfly is not going to be one wasting time regretting any of her choices.
Which is kind of too bad, because that skirt has a whole lot of reason for regret.

Dawn said...

Well, at least she didn't wear that outfit to the first day of high school! And I'm thinking she's got the personality to pull it off anyway - you know, a trendsetter.

Blessings!

Gail said...

I checked out the hula girl DVD...how DID we ever miss that one(ahem...thankfully we did). Miss Grace went through a hula girl phase as I remember.
Love the pics of your girl with Lego boy...I'm thinking future son in law someday?

Debz said...

I'm tellin ya she's gonna be a real trendsetter.
I'm cracking up over lego boy's t-shirt! Too cute!

Buckeroomama said...

Was she posing again in the first photo?

I love that pic of them running while holding hands. Beautiful!

(I just got this award and I simply HAD to share it with you. You'll see why. Do come over and grab it.)

Jillene said...

SWEET outfit!! My girls come up with come dooseys too.

Andrea said...

I rocked the pegged leg jeans! Well, in my mind I did! I keep telling my 7th grader that the long haired boys are going to look back and think that they look goofy. How about the trend of the boys wearing their pants downs to almost their knees? Yuck!

Johnny said...

Sassy!

It'll be the rage with teens in about 3 years.

Peanut said...

I wish I could have her confidence. I really want to be trendy, but I get last-minute wardrobe self-consciousness every time I try to be. So then I just change into the same "blend into the crowd" outfit and leave the trendy stuff hanging in my closet.

Wanda said...

She's an independant thinker with a great imagination. Wonderful to watch!

Have a great week-end!

Wanda

M3 said...

Oh I like her outfit WAY better than the traditional grass skirt. WAYYYYYY better! The imagination is awesome.

jen@odbt said...

I like her style - it's green like grass. She totally rocks the hula girl look. Pegged jeans...shudder...what a fashion faux paus.

adoptionroad said...

I own that DVD and I totally get it. What I do not understand is why neon colors were ever cool and stretchy belts with giant buckles worn just under my chest was considered to be stylish at one time in my past.

Jboo said...

Love her sense of style!! She can wear anything and look beautiful! :)

Have a fun weekend!

Janet

Donna said...

Personally, I think it would be wonderful if our kids always felt this comfortable with their unique wardrobe choices. Sigh... I still remember begging my parents for Ditto jeans and platform shoes!

:)

Donna
Our blog: Double Happiness!

Debbie said...

Sadly, I still make some fashion faux pas. Oh well. The Tongginator? Now she is perfect!

Patty O. said...

Personally, I love the outfit. Some people can just pull stuff like this off and your girl is definitely one of them.

Your post makes me think of an especially embarrassing outfit I wore to a college party: purple tie-dyed shirt (and no, I did NOT got to college in the 70s), white tights that had no feet, under denim shorts. And my hair? Total 80's big style despite it being the 90s. No wonder I never dated!

6DaysWeek said...

Great skirt--she pulls it off well!

Monica
www.6daysweek.blogspot.com

DawnS said...

I totally get the connection - it's just more palm inspired than grass really :) Obviously she was the coolest one there!

Laura L. said...

I love what she chose to wear. I think it's really cute. :)

Oh yes, children's programming. When I occasionally find myself belting out the line from some silly song, I want to slap myself.

Jules from "The Roost" said...

Love the out-fit!:)

Sharie said...

Amelia would like to know how to make that skirt - I think she is a bit jealous of the fabulous look Miss T had going on!

Dita said...

The best part about the outfit is that YOU let her wear it! I reckon you've figured out when and where to stand your ground and this wasn't one of those days (need I mention the rain boot saga?). You are such a great mom for letting LT be herself...or perhaps you are photographing her so that you may one day blackmail her with your photo booty. Only time will tell!

Ahem, yes, I had a telephone skinny white cord belt AND I had 3 inch shoulder pads, earth shoes, Norma Kamali dresses, platform shoes, tube tops and the occasional leisure suit with a quiana shirt complete with self-belt......and Girl...I was SMOKIN'...my mom has the (blackmail) pictures to prove it.

Janet said...

Well, I think the skirt is FABULOUS. With a capital "F".

Briana's Mom said...

Ok - I had the Madonna gloves, the Flashdance shirt and legwarmers, and neon colored socks when they were all the craze. I didn't wear them all at the same time - hmmm, I don't think I did. I've mentally blocked it - anyway...

I think the Tongginator looked very hula to me! :)

Tammy said...

Some days more than others, I *love* seeing what my 7 year old comes out of her room wearing. And some days I MUST intervene and most days I just let it go. It will just be a matter of time before she looks at photos and asks, "WHY in the world did you let me wear that??".

Ruth said...

I think it is a great outfit for Hawaiian days :-)
Too funny - we used the same line this week about this dress making my butt look big :-)

Michelle said...

Food Network? What's the Food Network? You mean there's a whole channel out there for nothing but food?!? LOL Just kidding. Sadly, I do not recall the last time I watched it, and I really need to!

T has quite a sense of style... and the fierce poses to go with it. I like her fairy interpretation of a hula girl. You used to live in Hawaii. You saw at least one of those, right? :)

Hannah said...

Love it!! I bet she was the best hula girl in town!

Mahmee said...

That girl can pull off anything. Cute!
Hey...did you HAVE to remind me about the Flashdance sweatshirts. Ugh. :-)
M.

CC said...

You go hula mama! My dad used to call me "Mini Huni Honi" or something based on some Hawaiian word.