About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Tuesday, April 14, 2009

What a Sham!

My best bud Canuck K and I chatted on the phone for a long time yesterday morning. A. Long. Time. This was, of course, possible because I chained up the Tongginator in the basement. Actually, she traveled to China while I talked on the phone. Then she headed to the beach. I felt thoroughly impressed with her packing abilities, seeing as how she took along a single backpack for two very different locations. And the beach? Was located in our living room. Oh, if only... Anyways, my conversation with Canuck K rambled from one topic to another, as is often the case when someone chats with me.

I realize this fact shocks many of you.

Somehow we stumbled onto the topic of fiscal responsibility, personal debt and the differences between typical American and Canadian spending habits. At this point I should probably remind everyone that Canuck K is, in fact, a True Canuck, born and raised in the GTA. (That's the Greater Toronto Area for those not in the know. Obviously, I am In The Know. Because I'm best friends with a Canadian smart like that.) We spoke of recent changes in both household budgets. And then...

CANUCK K: I just don't get it. Why can't people stop spending? We've made changes. Lots of people are making major changes. People need to live within their means. If you don't have the money, then don't go to the stores.

TONGGU MOMMA: Or stick to your list.

CANUCK K: Yes! And turn off the TV. Or at least avoid the shopping channels. Stop listening to some guy yelling at you, telling you that you need to buy Shamu!

TONGGU MOMMA: Shamu? (long pause) Do you mean Sham Wow?

CANUCK K: Oh... um... yeah.... that.

TONGGU MOMMA: Shamu's a killer whale, Canuck K.

CANUCK K: (long pause) I knew that.

Gosh, I sure hope so. I'd hate to think what the QVC operators would have thought if Canuck K ordered Mr. Orca himself over the telephone. So... what's the strangest thing YOU'VE ordered over the phone? (And please don't say Shamu.)

26 comments:

happygeek said...

I don't do phone orders. But that's probably because I am so tight I squeak when I walk.
I have a dear S-I-L whose cupboards greatly resemble an "as seen on TV" store. She buys enough for both of us.

The Byrd's Nest said...

Ummm.....I could be your Canadian friend! lol

Pug Mama said...

*snort*
now THAT is funny.
I've never ordered anything over the phone from TV.
I have a iron will.

Pug Mama said...

isn't my baby cute?
Just thought I would post AGAIN, so you could see her cute little mug again.
She is so DARN CUTE I CAN'T STAND IT!!!!

Jillene said...

hehe!! That gave me a good laugh!!

CC said...

Wait. You can order over the phone????

Veronica Mitchell said...

Never ordered anything over the phone, but your post made me think of this:

http://rhettandlink.com/videos/#shamwow

Gina (Caleeo) said...

What does it say about my tv viewing or shopping habits that I had to Google Sham Wow to even figure out what it is!?!?

Wanda said...

Shamu?? So, you've never ordered shampoo for cows? Eh?

Carla said...

Well, we don't have cable....

What's sham wow? The only thing I've ever ordered over the phone is through catalogs I got in the mail.

jen@odbt said...

That is hilarious. She can order over the phone in her snuggie! The only thing I order over the phone is pizza and take out.

Sherri said...

Hey, don't hate the Sham Wow......
it's amazing.

But I bought it at a store, not over the phone.

And that food chopper that the Sham Wow guy sells? I have one of those. But I got it from Pampered Chef YEARS ago. It's one of my favorite things in the kitchen.

MIGHTY PUTTY--That seems like some good stuff. I don't have any, and there's no desire to buy it, but it does seem like some good stuff.

The Snuggie, or the Slanket, depending on where you live, is my all time favorite. (I don't have that either) I love how the whole family wears their Snuggies to the ball game to cheer the team on!

Dorsey said...

I haven't ordered it, but I've been MIGHTY tempted by this purse thing with changeable outer coverings.
see http://www.4miche.com

Other than that we've just ordered boring things like books, computer parts, and hubby once ordered knives.

Gail said...

Oh this made me laugh TM!!!!! I've heard of a Sham Wow but don't know what it is. My tv watching these days seems to be in the area of the Noggin channel with Ni Hao Kailan and Handy Manny.

Kim said...

This is to funny! My youngest son insisted we purchase a Sham Wow for Grampa, however we purchased it from the homegoods store by us. They had a whole display as soon as you walked into the store! In case your wondering how Grampa liked it - he can't wait to use it to wash his car when it warms up.

As far as ordering over the phone... it's Chinese take out or pizza :-)

Rhonda said...

I'd order Shamu before I'd order Sham-Wow. I wonder if you can dry Shamu with a Sham-wow. Inquiring minds need to know...

Patty O. said...

I don't typically order over the phone. I am tight, too and just plain lazy. I did order Proactiv skin care a few years ago and though I thought it worked really well, I quit ordering it because of their practices. They basically send (and bill you for) the products every month automatically, which bothered me. I figure I should be able to reorder when I want to. Plus, I never used the stuff up in just a month so I was getting overridden with product...

What is Sham WOw?

Debz said...

............ok fine...I admit it I have fallen into this trap...not once but thrice...I purchaced a set of CD's by Tony Robbins a few years ago on "Awakening the Giant Within"...the giant is still sleeping.....I bought "The Bean" it's like an exercizing ball but in the shape of a bean so it makes it easy to do crunches and stuff that I don't do:o(....it's a great rocking chair though!!!....and another thing was some 10 minute workout DVD that I thought would take alot less effort....any takers? ;O) Cheap!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

LOL....I can't stand the commercials for Sham WOW!! I am not a big TV shopper, so I can't think anything I have ever ordered.....to be honest, I don't think I have ever ordered anything from a TV ad........Now my Mother IN Law......that is a whole nother subject. DO you remember the twisty turban that Pat was wearing in our yankee swap pictures from Christmas??? Gift from my MIL:)

Have missed you and your daily posts.....just catching up!!

Hope you had a great Easter holiday!

Lisa

Georgia Peach said...

I once ordered what I thought was a digital camera over the phone. But it turned out to be a camCORDER.

I won't say how much it cost, because I got a refund....minus shipping and restocking. sheesh.

Obviously this was before i was married because Big Apple would NEVER NEVER NEVER let something like that happen on his watch!

Debbie said...

And the lesson I got out of this is that I completely agree with your wise Canadian friend. Of course, if no one buys anything, we won't ever get out of this mess. What a conundrum.

Stonefox (otherwise known as Heidi) said...

That's funny. I honestly don't know what I've ordered in Chinese, but I can guarantee you its been weirder than Shamu!

Across the Ocean Blue said...

I don't know if I have ordered over the phone. I am in person shopper, mainly!

mumma to many said...

I have certainly ordered over the phone and some things I wouldn't disclose not because they are embrassing maybe just plain out right naughty!
Now that will make you think! :)
Sham Wow? I will have to google it!
Hugs Ruth in NZ

prechrswife said...

That is funny!

Michelle said...

Oh, how bad is it that I don't know what a Sham Wow is?

BTW, I hope you check T's luggage before she went to China to make sure it didn't exceed 44 lbs. ;)