About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Tales of a Mission Trip

Hey, y'all. My momma, also known as Tonggu Grammy, will be guest posting these next few days about her recent mission trip to the Philippines. And yes, she and the Colonel were in stitches with some of your suggestions for the name of their new boat. A.W.O.L. seems to be the front runner at the moment, but it has some stiff competition. I'll keep you updated.

Now... from Tonggu Grammy...

Thank you for allowing me to be a guest writer for today. I’m happy to share a bit about our trip to the Philippines.

First, let me say that this is my third trip and several members of the team were returning for their second trip. Hence, we were not inexperienced, although we were about to embark on our FIRST mercy medical mission trip. I say this because that single fact changed everything I once knew about mission trips.

I would like to point out that I am a Pre-K teacher and they appointed me as the group leader for a medical team. What were they thinking?!!?! Obviously they weren't. Unfortunately, I also had the oh-so-brilliant idea to collect used eyeglasses, have them read, labeled with individual prescriptions and distributed while in the Philippines. What was I thinking????

People donated medical supplies, used glasses and medicines in such numbers that I rapidly began to panic. It is not good for the leader to panic for it can cause poor judgment to invade one’s previously clear thinking. I turned down NO donations. Which seemed like such a great idea, except... do you know how much people want to help?

It was NOT pretty.

I became convinced that we were going to be the very first naked mission team to ever serve in the Philippines. I say this because, with such large quantities of supplies shoved into our bags, there would not be room in our suitcases for clothing. This caused much angst, not just because of the whole naked thing (which would be scary), but because we desperately needed the clothing to hide pad our medical supplies while going through Customs.

Because... you know... they are drugs.

Thankfully, our bags got packed and we didn’t have to go naked. Yes, we made it through Customs without getting arrested. Thanks so much to those of you who prayed for us on that one! After 31 hours of travel we made it to the guest house and settled in to begin the biggest adventure of my life.

More tomorrow...

21 comments:

redmaryjanes said...

Welcome Tonggu Grammy! I can't wait to hear more about your amazing adventure. Glad you got to keep you clothes on :)

Dawn said...

Hello, T-Grammy! Looking forward to hearing more about your trip.

Blessings!

Rebecca said...

Ha! Can't wait to hear more. :) I can tell, this story just gets better and better!

Gail said...

Hey there TG! I can see where TM gets her talent for writing...can't wait to hear more and so happy you got through customs okay and the clothes thing went well. ;)

Aunt LoLo said...

Welcome, Tonggu Grammy!

Hmm...a naked mission trip. Now that WOULD be interesting! LOL

Glad you got through customs safely!

Laura L. said...

I agree with Gail, now I see where TM gets her writing ability and humor too.
Yes, thank goodness there was room for clothes.
Looking forward to more of your story.

Jboo said...

Can't wait to hear more about it! My mother-in-law is from the Philippines, so it holds a special place in my heart.

janet

Sherri said...

I can see where TM gets her sense of humor. I can't wait to read the rest of the installments!

day by day said...

Hi Tonggu Grammy! Looking forward to reading more!!!

delucchi family said...

Hee, hee great story, look forward to the next installment....
Love Jules
xxx

Kim said...

I see where Tonggu Momma gets her sense of humor! Looking forward to your next guest appearance!

Buckeroomama said...

Tonggu Grammy, you are funny!

Eagerly waiting for the next installment...

Tammy said...

I am so looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

And no wonder my husband has been trying to get me to go on a mission trip....I'm on to him and that naked scheme of his now. ;-)

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

I can't wait to hear part two!! I see the apple doesn't fall far from the tree......you both have the an incredible talent of writing!!

Lisa

Elizabeth Channel said...

Oh, I am so living vicariously through your writing! Can't wait to see more!

Dita said...

How exciting...Tonggu Grammy in the house!

Can't wait to follow along with you and the Gang!

Janet said...

YOu're leaving us HANGING? I want to hear MORE, MORE, I tell you!

Janet said...

PS- I can see where you daughter gets her naked-in-public gene from. You nudists are all the same.

Pickel said...

I like AWOL. And, the phillipines is a great place. Did she pick up any pearls? If not, they are in your swag bag.
http://growninyourheart.com
Pickel

And yes...ones directly from the Philippines.

Peanut said...

I can't wait to hear more... I hope one day to do a medical missions trip :)

Debz said...

Your a great writer, I bet people love to sit at your feet to hear you tell stories.....