About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Wednesday, April 22, 2009

More Tales of a Mission Trip

My momma, also known as Tonggu Grammy, continues to share with y'all about her recent mission trip to the Philippines. You can read Part 1 of the story here.

Our itinerary called for 4 medical screenings, attendance at a seminary graduation, work with a home for rescued street kids and time spent with local pastors and missionaries. The medical screenings, of course, felt the most demanding both physically and emotionally.

Different churches sponsored each medical screening. Each screening brought about 75-100 people. They had so many needs and it frustrated us that we could only help with the most basic. In many ways it felt overwhelming. When we had to tell people that they MUST see a doctor after we left, we knew that it most likely wouldn’t happen, simply because they didn’t have the money. We did what we could, distributing the donated meds and vitamins, but it wasn’t enough. We were, however, able to provide many with eyeglasses and that proved to be a real blessing for both them and us. What a joy to see a face light up when reading became possible once again!

We experienced some really heartwarming eyeglass stories, but I am just going to share two with you. The children in my school (pre-k through eighth grade) donated medical supplies and eyeglasses in addition to helping with the funding of the trip. We didn’t have many children’s glasses, so it was easy to keep track of which glasses came from which child.

When we gave one pair of glasses to a little girl, her mother said, “Now she will be able to see in school.” Later that week, I sent an email to my school, sharing that Taylor’s glasses were now being worn in the Philippines by a little eight-year-old.

The second story is about a teenage street kid. We tried just about every pair of glasses on him and nothing seemed to work. He grew more and more nervous as he began to realize that he might have a real problem. Fortunately, we finally found a set of frames that fit this teenager, even though the lenses didn't match his prescription. Apparently, the frames are the most expensive part - their cost often prevents even working people from affording glasses. Once we found frames to fit, we gave one of the pastors the pesos needed for an ophthalmologist eye exam and new lenses.

Those frames originally belonged to another child from my school. His mother had brought them to me the afternoon before we left. At the time, I felt reluctant to take anything else because of the packing issues. I graciously thanked her while grumbling in my heart. I am sure many of you know what that’s like. Well, God used those glasses, which caused my silent grumbling, to provide clear vision to a street child who would have no hope of owning glasses without the generosity of Alek and his family.

John 9:25b "One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!"

More tomorrow...

16 comments:

The Things We Carried said...

So many little things, become big, that I take for granted. This is a reminder. I, too, am sometimes blind, but this reminded me to see...

Dawn said...

God can use even our grumbling obedience!

Blessings!

Heather of the EO said...

No, I never grumble...

pffft.

I love that those glasses were used!

I see where TM gets her story-telling abilities. :)

Jboo said...

What a great post! Love reading about your mission trip.

Janet

Rebecca Ramsey said...

How awesome!
I love this story. Mission trips are so life changing--for everyone involved!

Blue said...

Thanks for sharing your stories, Tonggu Granny!

Aunt LoLo said...

How beautiful! It's so true - God will work with whatever we give Him! He could take more, but he's gracious enough not to. Does that make sense?

The Source said...

Tonggu Grammy, your stories are touching. As the mom of a boy who needs his glasses to get out of bed in the morning, I understand that young man's anxiety and I'm so glad y'all were able to help. My 88 year old grandfather was orphaned at a young age and got his first pair of glasses at age 7. He recently told my son that he took care of that pair and wore them until he joined the army at 18 because he KNEW there would not be another pair if something should happen to them. It certainly made my boy appreciate HIS pair a little more!

Laura L. said...

These are great stories Tonggu Grammy! Thanks for sharing.
Wow, I can't imagine experiencing it all firsthand, as you did. What a blessing!

Shawnstribe said...

how beautiful....open the eyes of my heart Lord.......
thank you for opening mine too
xxx
s

jen@odbt said...

Great post. I needed to read this after my day.

happygeek said...

There is something truly miraculous about seeing clearly for the first time.
I do love it when God works miracles through the obedience of his children.

Dita said...

beautiful reminder to us all TG!!!

Janet said...

VERY cool story about the eyeglasses! I have sometimes thought, while doing something "charitable", that I would rather be doing something else. ANd then I find out what a blessing it has been to someone else and I feel so ashamed. Let us never tire to do the good works asked of us.....what a great reminder TM's mom! Thanks!

Sherri said...

When my daughter was in first grade she got her first pair of glasses. She immediately squealed with delight at being able to see that the leaves on the trees were actually individual leaves--not just a fuzzy blob on the top of the tree!

That is a good thing you've done there, TG!

Tammy said...

I just love stories like this... it's such a comfort to know our God still works miracles right before our very eyes....literally!