About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Friday, March 6, 2009

What's Her Name?

This past Sunday, we visited our former church instead of the Chinese-American church we usually attend. We try to do a balancing act between the two congregations because, truly, the Chinese-American church is too far away to make mid-week activities practical. This means that once or twice a month we visit our former church (no, not this one, our beloved church before that), so we don't feel like complete moochers during our attendance at the local church's Bible studies and small group.

The pastor and his wife are just wonderful about it. PW (the Pastor's Wife), a white, small-town girl originally from rural Texas, once said to me - about the Tongginator - "it must be hard sometimes being 'the only' everywhere she goes."

Oh, how I adore PW.

Anyways, sometimes the Husband and I forget that not everyone knows us at our local church. (I KNOW! Can you BELIEVE it?) Because - you know - we aren't there all that much anymore and new families DO join. After some really wonderful praise time, the Tongginator joined the under-12 horde to head off to Children's Church. It was the first time I didn't walk with her.

The husband and I enjoyed every second of the sermon. LSU Freak (the pastor) can deliver a powerful message in a most humble way. After church, I headed up to Children's Church to pick up the Tongginator. And the Children's Church leaders totally pounced on me.

CHURCH VOLUNTEER: Hi. Are you this one's mom?

TONGGU MOMMA: Yes, I am. (bracing myself for The Question, but soon proven wrong)

CHURCH VOLUNTEER: Great. Nice to meet you. Umm... what's her name?

TONGGU MOMMA
: She didn't tell you her name?!?!!

CHURCH VOLUNTEER: Umm... well... she did, but she gave us two names.

TONGGU MOMMA: Oh. Well, she goes by two names. We call her by both her first and middle name together. (Told y'all I was Fake Southern.)

CHURCH VOLUNTEER: Yes... well... I'm not sure these were the right name.

TONGGU MOMMA: Oh. What did she tell you?

CHURCH VOLUNTEER: Well, first she told us her name was Belle Ariel. We weren't sure about that one, but then she told us it was Cinderella Princess. That's when we were pretty sure we needed to find out from you.

TONGGU MOMMA: (totally rolling my eyes at the Tongginator) Thank you for asking. She's the Tongginator.

CHURCH VOLUNTEER: Okay, thanks. (writing down her name on the attendance sheet) You know, we haven't had that happen before. (grinning) She's the first! What an imagination.

TONGGU MOMMA: Just be glad you didn't meet her a couple of months ago. For about six weeks, she would only answer to The Butterfly.

41 comments:

happygeek said...

It's never dull is it?

Dawn said...

Just wait until she is truly able to understand that she IS a Princess... a child of THE King. Who knows, she may even use it as her blog "handle."

Not that I know anyone who would do that... LOL.

Blessings!

bbmomof2boys said...

heh...too funny! Great kid you got there - and a great mommy and daddy who is bringing up such a great kid!

Hugs,
Carla

-Sheri said...

A friend of mine use to wake up every morning and annouce who she wanted to be that day. Most days it was a young woman from church. So today she was to be called Mrs. Mary McGuire. And she would not respond unless you called that name. Not only was it difficult for her mom to remember the new name...she changed names EVERY morning.

Marla said...

Oh my goodness, as always, I am giggling at your girl. She sounds like a pill (and I mean that in an "I can totally relate" kind of way) and I swear she is Jaden's long lost relative. :)

Have a wonderful weekend!

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

That's great!! Speaking of being 'the only' we have 2 Chinese princesses as you know. Our neighbor also has a daughter from China. sometimes the "chinese girls' as they call themselves, will gang up on my oldest daughter, not letter her in 'their club' because she is not Chinese!! You should come visit sometime!!

And I hear that most PW's are great people =)

Sherri said...

Oh how I wish we lived close together. Our girls would get along perfectly. She cracks me up: Belle Ariel. Cinderella Princess. Of course those are her names! I can't imagine why the teachers even questioned her!

Veronica Mitchell said...

This is soo familiar. My oldest daughter frequently announces a new name to her SS teacher, and she kindly obliges. For the last two weeks she has been lions : Mufasa, Simba, Aslan, Cowardly Lion. I am getting very tired of the roaring.

Pancake said...

You gotta love it!!!

Jboo said...

So funny!! What a sweetie!

Have a good weekend!

Janet

Laura L. said...

Ha! I love this. :) What a fun imagination.
Hey, I see that it's something that Jadyn doesn't do yet.
I've sworn before that she thinks to do everything our other children have not. Not this one...yet.

Elizabeth Channel said...

Lovely! Her imagination is aweseome!

Kristy said...

That just cracks me up, what a great imagination she has, that is awesome!!!

Love, Kristy

a little leprechaun said...

That is so funny! But, I honestly thought they were going to say that she said her name was The Butterfly! Love her imagination!!

mommy24treasures said...

she is sooo funny! I love it.

Sarah said...

She didn't say her name is Princess Butterfly? I can't keep up with her. Ask her what I should call her and I'll stick to that. Because yes, I have started to talk about you to other people like we're real life friends, not just link love.

planetnomad said...

Awesome!
For some time, Abel would only answer to "Buzz Lightyear." But he was very polite about it. "Abel," I'd call. "Yes, Mommy. It's Buzz Lightyear Mommy," he'd gently remind me.

jen@odbt said...

Too funny. Reminds me of my nephew who only answered to Stanley - this went on for about a year.

Patty O. said...

I love your daughter. She is just so funny and original and a real spitfire. Way to go Tonginnator. Keep em on their toes!

sara said...

Wow, she keeps everyone on their toes, eh?? I thought I was the only Cinderella Princess.Hmmf!

P.s. LOVED the blog post about Daddy in the paper..heehee

Briana's Mom said...

Super-Nana sees absolutely nothing wrong with that. ;)

Aunt LoLo said...

Hmm....I'm always leary when someone tells me my kid has an Imagination. ;-)

And I'm waiting for the day that BBJ tells someone her Name Is Bubba. Oh, how the questions will fly then!

Valarie Lea said...

I can tell she is a blast to be around!

Myrnie said...

Haha... love it! I think there's a special place in Heaven for nursery volunteers, don't you? :)

Joan said...

Your daughter just cracks me up. :-)

Kayce said...

Classic!! I would so love to do that as an adult!! I think I just might..hehehe

Sharie said...

Oh thank you! I really needed a laugh tonight! I sure would love to meet Belle Ariel some day she sounds fantastic:)

prechrswife said...

That is hilarious! I'll have to remember to share this one with the Children's Church crew at our church. :-) (Or at least at VBS worker training.)

"And I hear that most PW's are great people =)"--By the way, I completely second this. :-)

The Things We Carried said...

I love that girl of yours!

Stonefox (otherwise known as Heidi) said...

That's awesome. SHE knows who she is!

Marivic_Little GrumpyAngel said...

a-ha-ha! That is just so funny! What a girl! Such a delightful sunburst who keeps adults on their toes :-) Belle Ariel? I would have totally fallen for that one.

kerri said...

ROTFL!
I love her imagination and creativity, she is adorable. ;)

Rhonda said...

She is just so stinkin' cute! I love her imagination...

Doug and Terrye said...

I totally get it!!! Grace insists that we call her "Princess _______" Each day we wake up with anticipation to find out what name will fill the blank that day. At one point she would only answer to Tinkerbell!!! :)

Terrye in FL

Dita said...

Sounds like they weren't gettin' her real name outta her no way, no how.....she should work for the FBI...she's a natural!

Gotta love that girl!

Heather of the EO said...

I hope that when she meets Miles she gives him her real name. After all, honesty is really important, especially if you're going to get married.

Michelle said...

Said with such confidence!! Just gotta love the T!

gritandglory.com said...

i totally expected "butterfly" to be one of the ones she gave them. nice to see she's branching out! :)

Scribbit said...

That's a hoot :) At least they had the sense to ask you!

Misty said...

that is pretty wonderful! thanks for the welcome back! and, if you're interested in an answer from your Q&A, i found this interesting link:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/560/why-do-hot-dogs-come-10-to-a-pack-while-buns-are-8-to-a-pack

RamblingMother said...

Oh, Hahahahahahaha!! She is a funny one.