About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Mink, the Model

If y'all feel annoyed by bragging, then might I suggest you move along for the day? Because this post will quite probably seem over-the-top and prideful. Some might even call it obnoxious. But I'm sick, so you HAVE to forgive me.

And surprisingly, I'm not writing about myself the Tongginator today.

I'd like y'all to meet someone very important in my life. This is Mink, the daughter of my childhood best friend Otter.

Mink, age 15, who just rolled out of bed at about 11 AM
no shower, no make-up
, but hopefully some deodorant


The husband and I became Mink's godparents nearly ten years ago. She's an amazing little girl young woman. This past summer she traveled to the Junior Olympics to compete in a track-and-field event. And of course she placed in the top five.

But I'm not bragging or anything.

Several months ago, Mink decided on a new course of action for her life. She expressed a desire to try her hand at modeling. My friend Otter, being cheap and practical the person she is, said fine, "go be a model," but that Mink would be on her own in this endeavor. Mink wasn't too pleased with that outcome, so she stood staring at her momma for a minute. Otter eventually walked away, figuring that if Mink wanted this badly enough, Mink would find a way to make it work.

Well, y'all... Mink is a fifteen-year-old Tongginator in her own right, so of course she took up the challenge.

Mink asked a friend to take a few snapshots of her. (I can only guess at the poses she attempted, since she's a tomboy with NO model training.) Then she sent off a letter, with enclosed photos, to a national modeling agency. (Hopefully she asked someone to proofread it for her. Especially if she takes after her momma in spelling.) And the agency she contacted? Elite Model Management.

Aim for the top, I always say.

We all thought that would be the end of it, but - surprisingly - Elite called this past November. And they asked Mink if she could provide some head shots, since several agents expressed interest in her "application." My friend Otter told the representative that she had no interest in paying for head shots, but that she supported her daughter's desire to model as long as Mink took the lead, so Elite sent Mink - on their dime - to a professional photographer who took dozens of photographs.

Just before Christmas, Mink heard back from Elite. She has an agent. She is now a model. And we are all stunned. Because I tend to think of Mink like this:

Mink and me at my college graduation, December 1995

Keep your eyes peeled for this little gal. Something tells me you WILL spot her one day. And what teen are YOU proud of?

32 comments:

happygeek said...

Congrats to Mink.

Jboo said...

Wow!! Way to go Mink!! That is outstanding!! She is a beautiful girl. Best wishes to her!

Janet

Gail said...

She is stunning! Congrats to her and I love she had a goal and set out to accomplish it...I'd be so proud of her!

Dawn said...

Wow! Talk about a dream come true.

It would be fun to see a comparison of the picture you posted (sans make-up and hair artists) with one of her "real model pictures."

Blessings!

chicknboy said...

wow! what a cool story. she IS beautiful, I can see why Elite wanted her. :)

Marla said...

Wow, that's awesome! She is gorgeous!

Sarah said...

Wow!

Pancake said...

She is stunning to say the least! Congrats to her!

Jillene said...

Congrats to Mink. She is a beautiful girl.

Aunt LoLo said...

That's great! One of my friends went to the NYC auditions for America's Next Top Model. She stood in the freezing cold for 4 hours and gave up and went to a coffee shop. Luckily, she left just before the riot/stampede started and she heard about it the next day! (She's not a model...but she's out of work, and looking for blog fodder. ;-)_

Rhonda said...

Way to go, Mink! What a great story. :)

prechrswife said...

Wow--that is a great story!

Debbie said...

No wonder you are proud. I hope all of her dreams come true.

mumma to many said...

I think that often we don't give our youth the chance to dream, strive and succeed!
Well done to Mink and her Momma!
Hugs Ruth in NZ

Kia (Good Enough Mama) said...

Aw, she's gorgeous. What a brave, industrious girl she is! Go Mink!

Quirky Mom said...

Oh wow, I can understand why Elite would want her enough to pay for the head shots. She is absolutely STUNNING! And I love that she's a successful athlete as well. Go Mink!

Colleen said...

Congrats to Mink!!! Brag away!!! Mink sounds determined like my son Kenny. Who at 4 wanted to be on TV....I said no but he begged. So since he couldn't drive himself I took him to meet with a management company who took him on the spot. He had a agent by the next day and a few months later was on a "Got Milk" commercial. I did not like the business and pulled him...but determined he is...he is majoring in theater (college)at a large University and doing quite well. He graduates next year...he is determined to make it. Sometimes these kids know what they want and how to get it!!!

Heather of the EO said...

It makes you feel old doesn't it?

I'm not proud of any teens currently :) No really, I do have a cousin who I've seen grow up and turn into a young man in med school. It's a fun kind of proud, to see someone grow up and follow dreams.

Colleen said...

oh I forgot to tell you what a lovely picture of you : P

Janet said...

She is truly beautiful! Good going, Mink!

I am proud of my cousins, they are such great kids and I love them to death!

Laura L. said...

Congratulations to Mink and her family!
That's a really neat story! I love it that she decided to go for it on her own. You don't here a success story like that every day.

Funny, for like 1 second I was thinking, "Her name is Mink? Her parents named her Mink?" Then I remembered the whole nickname thing you've got going. Silly me. :)

Pug Mama said...

brag away girlfriend - she is gorgeous!!!!

Michelle said...

Congratulations to new Model Mink!!! Ah... Elite Model Management bring back some [not so] good memories. My husband and I spent a few days in Nice, France and were greeted at our hotel by a banner, "Welcome Elite Model Search Contestants". I spent the next few days around a large group of size 0 legs that could go on for days (are there negative sizes?) and immensely gorgeous girls from all over the world. I was not exactly at my peak of self confidence during those few days. And my husband seemed to spend a lot of free time in the lobby. LOL Ahhhh... yes, good times.

Good luck to Mink!!

Sharie said...

WOW! I think bragging is in order!

a little leprechaun said...

Please tell Mink Congrats! That is awesome!! And I love how she followed something she felt strongly for. That's great!

Hope you are feeling better!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

Missy said...

Go Mink! She is stunningly beautiful...wowza! I love it that she went after her dreams. GO GIRL!!!

bbmomof2boys said...

All right Mink - that's the way to make your dreams come true!

What teen am I proud of? My oldest - T! He'll turn 19 at the end of the month (wait - 19??!!). He's persuing his dream to be a doctor while bringing up our granddaugher at the same time. He's on the deans list, calls home 3 or 4 times a week (*grin*), works part-time. We are so proud of him!

Thanks TM - thanks for the reminder!

Hugs,
Carla

Ivy said...

What a stunning girl. I could definitely see her on the cover of a legal magazine!

She's beautiful.

Hugs,

Ivy

CC said...

she did it all on her own? And didn't get scammed by those companies? THAT IS AMAZING!!!!!!!! You go girl!

gritandglory.com said...

congratulations, mink! i love your tenacity!

Flamingo Mama said...

wow. stories like these make me think, "if only...". yea, i looked exactly like that when i was 15.


she is beautiful!

Nightowl Mama said...

wow how wonderful

Um hey way did someone throw a paint ball at your face. that's crazy. lol
are you undercover?