About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Thursday, March 26, 2009

37 Years Together

Now that I'm finally coming out of my influenza-induced fog, I'd like to take this opportunity to wish my parents a very belated happy anniversary. I couldn't have picked a better time to share my felicitations, seeing as how my momma is out of the country on a two-week missions trip and the Colonel (my daddy) is on a work trip in Florida. Still, I'll get credit for I'm acknowledging their special day and that's what counts. My momma and daddy married 37 years ago on the Ides of March.

Fortunately, such an infamous date in history did not in any way influence said marriage.

Which is a good thing. And an excellent reminder that a wedding is just One Day, but a marriage can last a lifetime. If you work at it. My daddy likes to say that he hasn't regretted one day of their lives together... and that day was Saturday, October 16, 1976 when my momma went to visit her parents.

Ba-da-bum.

just before leaving for the Marine Corps Ball, 1973

Don't they look gorgeous, y'all? I mean, for 1973 anyways. I thought so, too. It's not exactly a scrapbook moment, however, because my sister Kit Kat - an infant at the time - threw up all over my momma's new ball gown about five minutes after my aunt snapped this photo. I'm thinking maybe they never did make it to that ball. But they managed to find peace, love and happiness, despite years of child vomit, teen whining, mid-life crises and grandchildren gluttony.

The Colonel and Tonggu Grammy, fall, 2007


It's all about The Commitment, y'all. A sense of humor goes a long way as well. Oh, and some stain remover for that vomit.

For more walks down memory lane and marital advice, check out Sincerely Fro Me to You and Proposal 2.0 at The Glamorous Life Association.

35 comments:

happygeek said...

Congratulations to the Colonel and TG.
37 years! Whoo-hoo.

Gail said...

What a beautiful tribute to your parents TM! Congrats to the Colonel and TG!!!

Jboo said...

Congrats and happy anniversary to your parents!! Sweet post and photos!

Janet

jen@odbt said...

Beautiful couple. Happy Anniversary to your parents!

kris said...

oh you have a WAY with words! i'll remember the stain remover... good tip. happy anniversary to your lovely parents!

Monica said...

They look like they belong together--then and now!

Lauren's Nana said...

Congrats to TG and the Colonel for 37 years!
Great post TM, only you could do this with such class and humor and I have to remember the stain remover as well:).
I hope TG is safe on her trip, we are sending up prayers for her.

prechrswife said...

Happy Anniversary to Tonggu Grammy and the Colonel! What a precious tribute to your parents! (I wonder what it means that Oct. 16, 1976 was my 4th birthday?)

discombobulated said...

What a great story. I love the pictures.

Blue said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better!

Brooke said...

congrats :) thats amazing!!

Ohilda said...

Just beautiful! I love it. And you are so right. It IS all about the committment and never allowing the "D" word into the marriage, not making it an option.

Praising God for your beautiful parents.

Hugs,

Ohilda

The Glamorous Life said...

Oh you know how I love a love story.
Especially one that mentions vomit.

You have a way with the words.

:)

Becky said...

Great post! True love stories are the best kind. And I love both pictures of them.

The Things We Carried said...

Oh, I never can resist a good love story and they have one! LOVE the first picture, and then the way your dad is looking at your mom in the second...Makes me teary. Lucky you, lucky them!

Lisa (Briana's Mom) said...

Happy Anniversary to the happy couple!!!!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Happy Anniversary to your Parents....Love that picture of them looking at each other...beautiful!

Lisa

Kim said...

Happy Anniversary to your parents! Love the photos!

Glad your feeling better too!

Patty O. said...

How awesome!! They look like wee bairns in that 1973 picture!!!

How great to have such good role models of marital happiness and hard work. I am so glad you appreciate that, because I used to take my parents' marriage for granted--until a few years ago when the separated. I am much more aware now of what you said about marriage being hard work and commitment. I don't want my marriage to end like my parents' did. Thanks for the reminder.

Upstatemomof3 said...

Congrats to your parents!! And glad you are feeling better.

Meg @ Soup Is Not A Finger Food said...

Oh, I so hope that's me in 22 more years. :-)

Norse, Jesica, and Boden said...

So sweet! Your mom looks so YOUNG in the first picture. Blessings to them as they celebrate all that hard work and love!

CC said...

Congrats! Love that final pic. and what is she, 14 in that 1st pic?????

Kayce said...

What an inspiration! Happy Anniversary to your parents!

Janet said...

Beautiful! And happy 37th to your 'rents.

Tammy said...

Happy Anniversary to these two fabulous people!!

Such a sweet story. Praying for your mom on the mission field.

Muthering Heights said...

How sweet! I love the old photo of them!

Sharie said...

Your mom looks like a baby in that first photo:) The love in your dad's eyes in the second brought tears to my eyes.

Lisa @ Take90West said...

Ok, I seriously have tears in my eyes and I don't say that often. The way your dad is looking at your mom in that second picture? Isn't that how much we all want to be loved by our spouse? She is one lucky lady.

Colleen said...

What a wonderful tribute to your parents!! Happy Anniversary!!!! They look adorable together. So who do you look like....daddy or mommy? Yes this is a trick question.

living4him5 said...

Finally! I found your blog! You've left me some sweet comments on my blog and when I clicked your name it wouldn't display your blog...Anyway...I found it!

BTW... Great post on the folks!!

Blessings,
Amy

Melissa said...

What a beautiful heritage of love and commitment your parents have given to you and your family. You are so very blessed.

Aunt LoLo said...

What a beautiful post! And yes, they do look FABULOUS...for the '70's. :-) Your mom was a doll!

Dita said...

I love this story...and the photos, well, they are just PERFECT. What wonderful role models you have had. I can see where you get your sense of humor from!!

Michelle said...

Happy Belated Anniversary to your parents! What a cute couple - then AND now!!