About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Wednesday, February 11, 2009

TM, One Hip Chick (Not!)

This post is part of a Q&A series. Check it out here.

Carla and Kia couldn't resist with the "what's your real name?" question.

I can't understand why y'all don't believe me when I say it's Tonggu Momma. I mean, don't you know any other Tonggu Momma's out there? Ha!

Seriously though, my first name is unusual. Like, VERY unusual. To quote the 1990 US Census, "(my real name) is a very rare male first name, an even more rare female first name and a very rare surname." One of those internet name sites stated that only one in every 117,000ish Americans share my first name, as of this year. As compared with, say, a name like Lisa (one in every 294 Americans) or Heather (one in every 1,176 Americans) or Carla (one in every 2,722 Americans) or even the highly unusual Kia (one in every 63,837 Americans).

How many Kias have you met? I know two - one from high school and my imaginary friend who asked this question. Chances are... if I told you my REAL name, I'd be the only one you'd know.

So... take that fact... along with knowing we live in DC Metro area AND are a China-adoptive family... I'd have absolutely NO on-line security whatsoever. Which is fine when talking with y'all, but not so fine when thinking about all those internet creepies out there. Especially since I blog so much about the Tongginator, whose name is also fairly unusual. I'm trying to protect her from Google searches ten years from now. Can you imagine how much she would HATE me if this got out? Or her butterfly fluttering?

Stefanie
asked, "what kind of car do you drive?"

During my college years, my roommates and I wrote down predictions one drunken night. You know, most likely to marry first, most likely to have the largest brood. Fun stuff like that. I got saddled with Most Likely to Drive a Minivan. Obviously, this label still irks me.

Which is why I drive a small SUV (gas mileage not too horrendous at 22 mpg, plus the husband owns a hybrid). Mine is a Honda CR-V, which is basically a Honda Civic with a big butt.

Carla said, "The Tongginator has beautiful hair. I don't think Little T will EVER have that. Do you put her hair up in any special styles?"

You are so, so sweet, Carla. Yes, the Tongginator does have absolutely gorgeous hair. Most Tongginators do. (And by that I mean most of the gals adopted from the Tonggu SWI. Y'all know Sophie right? Most China-adoptive, blogging mommas seem to.) I've done extensive research on this topic and believe that Tongginators have such gorgeous hair because most are at least partially Hakka, a minority group within China. There are two regions within Jiangxi Province that are predominantly Hakka -- and you'll notice that most of the girls adopted from Ruijin and Tonggu have that thick, glossy hair.

Unfortunately, Tonggu Momma (meaning me) flunked hair.

I'm getting better. I can do two things that look a bit fancy. I do topsy turvies, which are basically pigtails (or a ponytail) that you then flip up, thread through the hair just above the band and then pull under. Obviously I'm hair incompetent or my directions would read clearer. Here's a picture so that you can try to decipher my pathetic description.

Check out that wild part! See? Told y'all I flunked hair!

On Very Rare Occassion, I will give the Tongginator what she calls her Mulan Buns. That's when I braid her pigtails and then attempt to roll them into some kind of a bun. I then hairspray it to death in the pathetic hope that the hair will somehow remain up for more than 15 minutes. It rarely works.

The Happy Geek
wondered, "K-Mart, Target or Wal-Mart?"

Target. Definitely.

Colleen asked, "what's your favorite type of music and do you have a favorite artist?"

I love Christian contemporary, but not the cheesy kind. And, let's be honest, most of it IS the cheesy kind. I also love groups with male harmony. (Did y'all watch Group Night on American Idol last week? Because I saved the episode on my DVR and watched the acapella group Rainbow Coalition at least 20 times! THAT'S how much I love harmony.)

Mostly though, I'd have to say that I possess very eclectic listening habits thanks to the husband, a former musician who creates new mixed CDs for me every couple of months. He includes everything from The Cure to Tower of Power, Billy Joel to Brutha, Colbie Caillat to Garth Brooks. But some of my favorite Christian artists are Shawn McDonald (I think he is ah-mazing!), Left Lane Ends (a southern group that is no longer together, but I love the CD I have) and the David Crowder Band.

And I'm totally rooting for Danny Gokey and Jamar Rogers on American Idol this year.

Riley asked, "If you could fly or be invisible, which would you chose and how would you use this power?"

Not to be difficult, but I always wanted to teleport. Because wouldn't it be totally cool to just close your eyes and wish yourself somewhere else? Or perhaps I just watched The Wizard of Oz too much as a small child. Anyways, I'd use it to help my husband avoid traffic every day, seeing as how he commutes over 50 miles one way, nearly every day, in one of the worst traffic areas within the USA. I'd love to whisk the Husband around like Hero does for Ando.

But, if I have to choose between flying and being invisible, I'd totally choose being invisible. Because I am terrified of heights. AND I throw up on airplanes.

Kiy really wanted to ask where we live. I can't give specifics, but I will say that last month the media went from considering our area of the country "The Land of Old Fogeys" to a hip place to live, all because a new family moved in to a little white house. We are within a 40 minute drive of the United States Capital. And that's all the husband will allow me to share. E-mail me if you live close. We'll chat.

discombobulated asked "winter or summer?"

Ack! Neither. I love the spring and fall. I am definitely high maintenance. I hate being too hot or too cold. Must be those years living in Hawaii.

Quirky Mom asked, "If the Tongginator is a butterfly, then what are you?"

Ooh... I would say a panda, but that's a bit of a cop out, seeing as how everyone knows how much I LOVE pandas.

Although, after giving this some thought... I am lazy like a panda. And I eat a tremendous amount of food that isn't exactly packed with nutrients. And people often assume I am all cute and cuddly and whatnot, but I am SO the opposite. So maybe I AM a panda. What do y'all think? What kind of animal am I?

And you must absolutely share your favorite music groups!!!!

24 comments:

happygeek said...

Tone deaf, hearing aid-impaired momma's of musically inclined pre-schoolers don't have favorite groups.
We listen to Bob and Larry and Music Machine ad naseum.
We dream about silence.
And dream.

Andrea said...

My fave groups: TobyMac, Newsboys, Sugarland and Maroon 5. And I totally flunk at hair too - good thing I have boys!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Loved getting to know you better, but I have a feeling if I asked for questions, I wouldn't get two, so then my ego would be bruised!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

I'm going to call you Wallace Earl just for fun. When I'm not calling you TM.

You MUST listen to some Kyle Matthews music! He's amazing. Do a search and try him out!

I'm bad at hair too. My parts always look like meandering rivers.

Love ya!

Cheri said...

I love this! Your quite interesting! :)

Marla said...

My musical taste varies from day to day. Thank goodness for iPods and their unlimited number of playlists. One fave right now is Adele's "Chasing Pavements" though. Love that song.

LOL @ no minivans, I'm right there with ya. I cram my 4 kids into an SUV and always will.

Happy Wednesday!

Michelle said...

I just scored one million points on Wii Sing It this morning, so my new favorites are anything from Camp Rock. LOL Just kidding. I truly CANNOT sing. My ability to read saved me. ;)

Seriously, my favorites are Casting Crowns, Third Day, Stephen Curtis Chapman and Josh Groban. I saw them all in concert in the last year or so and they are amazing.

BTW, I am totally cracking up at your Honda with a big butt comment. I am going to laugh every time I see one now.

p.s. Thank you for the blog link!! I'm going to go check it out.

discombobulated said...

I think you made the suspense worse for those who don't know your name! Though, everyone totally understands the security issue.


Can I copy one of your mix cds made by Mr. Wonderful? I know his name is really Tonggu Daddy, but to me, he's Mr. Wonderful. He should be a professional Husband Trainer.

Briana's Mom said...

The Tongginator does have gorgeous hair. Briana's hair is very thin and I am thinking it may stay that way.

I am definitely a spring and fall girl too.

I don't own a minivan and never will.

I had no idea that one in 294 Amercian's share my name. That is very interesting!

Quirky Mom said...

Ummm, I can say that my favorite music group is not Trixter... any more. But you know I'm bad at favorites, so I'll stop there.

I don't live close, but I'll be close in a couple of weeks, in multiple directions. I wonder how close I'll actually manage to be.

bbmomof2boys said...

I do live close - just 4 hours away chick - look out - u might get a surprise!! :)

Now, my name might be one in every 2,722 Americans but I bet that you don't know my middle name nor how to spell it!! My dad was the one who named the girls and he was just a little bit weird!

By the way - love that part - didn't u know that the zig-zag part is in style? Oh....that isn't a zig-zag part?

Hugs,
Carla

Colleen said...

Now I'm going to be trying to figure out your name....did you know that I was supposed to be named Lisa but my mom was on too much Demerol and my dad liked Colleen....WTG Mom take drugs and let dad name me....Love the hair style...can you come and do mine? : ) I'll even pay you but you will have to let me know who to write the check out to : )

Special K said...

Very interesting stuff.

I mean now I know you have a big butted Honda, can't do hair, have varied musical interests, and can relate to a teleporting, lazy panda. Wait... why does that sound like I just smoked a joint or something? LOL!

Debbie said...

I knew you would be a Target gal! I just knew it! And now I have to go meet discombobulated. You know that is one of my favorite words!

Sharie said...

I have to say that as much as I try to stay anonymous on our blog now using just first names and trying not to say where we live - I made some mistakes early on and with my niece in dance all anyone would have to do is Google her high school - or my first name and you'd have it. I completely understand your need for privacy.

Now - music groups - LOVE music! Rascal Flatts has been my favorite since they were unknown, I also love George Strait, New Order, Depeche Mode, OMD, and about anything else that could be considered 80's alternative. Yeah - I'm a product of the 80's and I'm PROUD!

AND I'm totally with you on Target. Wal-Mart is 3 minutes from my house - I have a fabulous view of it out my back window -AHH I know - but I still drive 15 to get to my Target!!

Misty said...

oh,TM, as a Lover-of-unusual-names, I am DESPERATE to know your name, tho i will restrain myself (barely, and only b/cs i like you). i bet your dh and my dh would have FUN exchanging mixed cds. he makes THE BEST cds! and i have so many fave bands/singers.

prechrswife said...

I think our daughter got left off of that thick Tonggu hair list. Hers is still thin, and more of a dark brown than glossy black. It also takes forever to grow. I think her 18 month old sister officially has more hair at this point. :-)

If you are looking at contemporary Christian music, check out 33 Miles. (I went to college with the lead singer, so I have to put in a plug there.) They have a different sound than a lot of the groups out there. Other favorites--Steven Curtis Chapman, Michael W. Smith (especially his Worship CD's that came out a few years ago), and Casting Crowns.

Janet said...

I love so many types of music! Mostly what I get to hear now is kids stuff, but we have taken to listen to African music, which I love. I also like the "oldies" like Billy Joel, etc. I love country, old rock, opera, classical,blue, big band, many types. I HATE rap, hard rock, goth, emo, etc. I'm just old, you know.

CC said...

You can be Kung Fu Panda. Right?

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

love the picture and your flunking hair comment

Laura L. said...

I was surprised when you mentioned Ruijin here.

That's where our little one if from.
Most folks haven't heard of it before, unless they are from China.

Would that make Jadyn a Ruijinator? :)

Do you know someone with a child from Ruijin? Just curiuos. We don't seem to hear of that many from that SWI.

Rebecca of "China, Baby!" said...

A Honda Civic with a big butt?? Oh my, I'm going to be laughing about that one for the next YEAR or two...

Patty O. said...

I think I must be a panda, too!!!

I like the Killers, lots of 80s music and The Indigo Girls. Stuff like that. Mostly I listen to what my husband is into, since he too used to be a musician and has really good taste in music. he always seems to know what's out there.

Peanut said...

I failed hair too. My mom reminds me of that every time she visits. Apparently skin care too... I don't moisturize my kids enough.

And yeah, I'm not such a big fan of winter or summer either.