About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Thursday, February 19, 2009

No Hands But Ours

It's been nearly a month since I publicly humiliated my childhood friends myself. After three weeks with no incidents, I thought I had it under control. But (sigh) it's an addiction, y'all.

In February of 1987, my good friend discombobulated officially joined the ranks of Teenager. At her 13th birthday party sleepover, we spent the night looking in the bathroom mirror for "Bloody Mary," dropping people while trying to master the "light as a feather, stiff as a board" trick and generally having a blast. Well... as much of a blast as near and new teens could manage with strict parental supervision.


We shared secrets, especially of the "I heart so-and-so" variety. We giggled. We frizzed out our hair and traded fashion secrets that probably should have remained secrets. And we learned one very important lesson.


You can't do it alone. You need a helping hand. Or at least a rear... with a pillow on top. I love that I still keep up with discombobulated, SoHi and the rest of the crew.

I also love that I've made a few new friends lately, friends who embrace that whole helping hand philosophy... Stefanie, Amie and Rebecca impress me to no end. They've worked hard to make the No Hands But Ours site a reality. If you are at all interested in China's special needs adoption program, go check it out. Also, if you enjoy the Sunday Links at Our Little Tongginator, head over to NHBO on Wednesdays for Whatever Wednesdays, where I'll be doing a similar thing, but with a special needs twist.

And for more walks down memory lane, check out Kristen's Sincerely Fro Me To You at We Are THAT Family.

20 comments:

Andrea said...

I know I have pictures that are very similar to those. Especially the hair!

Aunt LoLo said...

Oh, I MISS those parties!!

The Source said...

Awww...ya'll are so cute. And talented, too, look at that pyramid!

I remember being too freaked out to even TRY doing Bloody Mary!

Heather said...

Great pics! It's always nice to hear about people who have stayed friends through childhood and beyond.

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

I think we've all been there and done that. Thanks for helping us relive it! Those were good times.

kris said...

i am CERTAIN i touched the ceiling during light as a feather- to bad they didn't have flips back then to PROVE it~! ha!

stef rocks, so does rebecca, amie i'll need to keep up with more and get to know better!

i soooo look forward to the day i can tell E's story on the No Hands But Ours site.

Patty O. said...

This post brought back memories! You are blessed that you still keep in touch with those friends. Nothing like really good friends to make life great!

Crayl said...

Oh the hair, the sweaters!! Sweet.

Janet said...

Hilarious!!!!! I LOVE the hair. This could be my friends and I....:-)

Jerralea said...

What great memories! Love the hair!

Patricia/NYC said...

I stopped by Whatever Wed. the other day & thought is was FABULOUS!! I just told Stef how great that site is...wow! You all have done such a wonderful service to so many! Keep up the great work!

We are THAT Family said...

Hilarious hair! You crack me up!

Debz said...

Your too much fun!
Look at the do's on ya's!

Are you wearing one of those afgan sweaters? The crochet ones!!! Oh My I haven't seen one of those in ......ever!

Lisa said...

I am a lot older than you, but our parties involved the same fun, but we were dressed in ugly seventies clothes. I wonder if kids still do those things at parties.

Tammy said...

Holy moly, I fully expected to find myself in those photos! And I would have bet money that second one was taken in the basement of one of our houses!

Love all the clothing and hairstyles!

Debbie said...

I had been married six months when that photo was taken! You know how to make a hot chick feel old:)

CC said...

Awesome!!!

And the pics are too much :)

Scribbit said...

Those are some great pictures :)

Dita said...

OMG...I remember doing ALL that stuff with my gal pals, too. You missed the Ouiji board, Magic 8 Ball and, of course, the Judy Blume books!

Right there with ya, girlie!

Lovin' NHBO, by the way!

Elizabeth Channel said...

I've got to go home and dig in my parents' basement for my old pictures. All this is so inspiring!