About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Monday, February 16, 2009

Monkey King Madness

It seems I am late for most everything this year, which feels highly embarrassing to an anal-retentive person such as myself. I feel so humiliated, in fact, I need y'all to pretend that your 2009 calendar shows us still in the midst of Chinese New Year.

Is that possible? As a favor to me?

Nothing particularly cute happened during our two week Chinese New Year celebrations. I'd like to say the Tongginator STOOD OUT among her peers during our local holiday party, but you and I both know that all mommas think that about their children. Which of course means that no one else is thinking about YOUR child because they are too busy fawning over THEIR OWN children.

It's a sad fact of life. And it just goes to show how deluded we all are.

I will say, however, that the Tongginator showed exemplary taste in music. Because here is what she thought of the musical stylings of the Queen Mother of Heaven in Monkey: Journey to the West...

Chinese opera... it's an acquired taste

She more greatly enjoyed watching the Monkey King dance and prance about. I must admit the actor portraying the Monkey King looked good...

he's bemoaning, in a rather melodramatic fashion,
his lack of a party invitation... this totally shows,
beyond all doubt, that he is my kind of guy monkey


Although, as her momma, I must say the Tongginator did a much better job portraying the famous character...

strangely enough, she even LOOKED the part

She looked even better as the head of the dragon during the children's dragon parade. I should mention that my daughter the Tongginator obtained such an esteemed assignment by shoving her way to the front of the group before I could reach her with a tad-less-than-ladylike decorum.

the Chinese New Year Dragon Dance symbolizes the
bringing of good luck and success in the coming year


We also loved watching the Lion Dancers, even though we got pelted with wilted lettuce leaves. Which is, of course, suppose to foretell a really lucky year for the ones getting hit, but try explaining that to a hysterical four-year-old, who doesn't understand the very Chinese concept of luck, but does understand the phrase "food fight."

we got hit TWICE... 2009 had better be a good one
or I'm gonna boycott lettuce for the rest of the year


The Tongginator convinced me before arriving at the party that this was HER YEAR. She planned - for the first time - to feed the lion a red envelope. Unfortunately, The Lettuce Incident put a slight damper on her plans. She did inch closer this year than ever before, though, so I felt proud.

of course she DID wait til AFTER the performance,
but why be picky about such a trivial detail?

We had more fun stomping on the bubble wrap to mimic the sound of firecrackers, which supposedly chase away evil spirits.

Twins Cinnamon and Spice doing their level best
to wreck havoc on bubble wrap everywhere

And to all y'all... 新年快乐... a few days weeks late.

29 comments:

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Wow! I think that monkey man might have scared me too!
I do like the idea of throwing lettuce leaves. My boys could really get into that!

Sharie said...

Wow! What an incredible celebration! You're so lucky to be near so much!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Flying lettuce......who knew food fights were lucky!!

That last picture was my favorite....I still like to do that to bubble wrap when I get it:)

Have a great week....hope you are all healthy again!!

Lisa

bbmomof2boys said...

Happy CNY! We didn't attend any type of celebration this year (funny - I did last year...) but as we get to know more about some of the other children adopted and some Chinese customs I'm sure we will in the future.

Hugs,
Carla

Gail said...

The Monkey King scares me too. G and W aren't too fond of him either or the Lion, but then they are both afraid of Santa.

Love the stomping on bubble wrap, I'll admit I like to do that too.

And 新年快乐 to you a little bit late. :)

prechrswife said...

Love the pictures! The bubble wrap thing is great. Our local group did that at our CNY party last year, but we missed it because they scheduled the party on a Sunday afternoon, so we had to leave early. We got a package with a piece of bubble wrap in it the other day, and Mary Joyce was at first content to pop them one at a time with her fingers until she discovered the "lay it down on the floor and stomp on it" method. I don't think there was a single surviving bubble. :-)

Tonggu Grammy said...

I only wish that I could have politely covered my ears when hearing that "wonderful" Chinese opera. I seriously doubt my ability to acquire a taste for that horrendous sound no matter how much I love the Tongginator. She was one of the brilliant spectators in my opinion. Oh, and don't forget her insistent calls of "I want a turn!" as she charged to the front to get to the dragon head. That rare opportunity was payment for the horror she was to witness when the real lion turned on her later. Wish you all could have been there!

happygeek said...

That is a truly great pic of the Tongginator and the monkey mask.

Briana's Mom said...

What a great CNY!!! The Tongginator always makes me giggle!

I would have been a little freaked by flying lettuce myself...

The Source said...

"I should mention that my daughter the Tongginator obtained such an esteemed assignment by shoving her way to the front of the group before I could reach her with a tad-less-than-ladylike decorum."

Too funny! And it only serves as further evidence that the Tongginator and Darling Daughter are kindred souls. The Oldest & Girlfriend graciously volunteered to chaperon Darling Daughter & Chicken Wing on their first date for Valentine's Day. Oldest's girl brought along her camera to document their romantic evening...and then downloaded them onto facebook today to find Darling Daughter's HEAD sticking out somewhere in EVERY picture...with a goofy look on her face.

I'm glad Tongginator enjoyed most of the celebration. Stomping bubble wrap is one of my favorite activities!

discombobulated said...

It looks like a lot of fun! I love that either Cinnamon or Spice is comforting Miss T. during the opera performance.

Elizabeth Channel said...

Fascinating! I love the picture of them stamping the bubble wrap. I really learned something today!

Sarah said...

Throwing food at people is for good luck? Can I use that as my excuse next time I have the urge to throw something at a family dinner?

Debz said...

Sounds like everyone had a blast. Did anyone bring salad dressing?

I love killing evil spirits, I mean bubble wrap!!!

Missy said...

I never knew that about the lettuce leaves...funny! Looks like a great party. I'm glad Tongginator had such a good time. She does a great "monkey" : )

Heather of the EO said...

I love these pictures! She is so vibrant, is she not? Isn't that a nice way of putting it? I love the monkey shot of her!

Jennifer said...

Um yeah, Chinese opera is DEFINITELY an acquired taste for those of us with Western ears!

Michelle said...

You go, T!! Standing in lines and being ladylike is overrated. :)

And if it makes you feel any better, we attended a local university's CNY party yesterday. I don't think they got the memo that CNY ended either.

Have a great week!

All Rileyed Up said...

What fun! I love all the pictures! Tonginnator is so cute as the red dragon. And the bubble wrap to mimic fireworks is genius.

Ada said...

I nearly pee'd my pants reading your post.

redmaryjanes said...

Wow, we celebrated, but had no food fighting. My boys would have loved it for sure!

toloosenthemind.com said...

Hi there! I'm literally catching up on months of your blog (when I should be writing on my own!). Love the CNY photos. Yes, I agree, getting hit TWICE with lettuce must be a good sign somewhere! I also loved the Barbie post - I too don't do the Barbie thing, so it was nice to find another Mom who feels somehow anti-American when I tell people that we don't buy them! Whew!

I promise I won't let your blog escape me for months ever again! :)

Janet said...

I'm NOT telling my kids about the bubble wrap thing. They would torture me constantly with the sound of them stomping on it....

Marivic_Little GrumpyAngel said...

Chinese New Year is awesome! It's wonderful your daughter gets to enjoy this as a part of her life. I bet she will someday have very fond memories of the Monkey King. I love her cute silk dress.

Misty said...

the idea of wilted lettuce makes me want to gag.
speaking of flying food... my shea/bear threw a cookie in a restaurant yesterday and hit a poor businessman in the face. does that count as good luck???? i sure hope so...

kris said...

damn it. is it too late to ask someone to pelt me with lettuce??? cuz i could use that. i'd like this year to be MY year too.

Beverly said...

Love the pics. Opera in any language is an acquired taste!! She looks great as the monkey king/queen!

CC said...

Other than our own dragon dance we missed out this year :( :(

Colleen said...

Wow I never knew that about lettuce...this weekend I'm throwing lettuce at my boys...for good luck of course : )
Love the pictures!!! Looks like you all had a good time.