About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Monday, February 2, 2009

Life With Tonggu Daddy

This post is part of a Q&A series. Check it out here.

Stefanie asked, "How did you meet TH?"

That is one really convoluted story that began on Halloween in 1996. Because, you see, when I met the Husband and felt God telling me that this guy was THE ONE, I thought to myself, 'either my prayer life is totally in the dumps or God really has a wacky sense of humor.' That sounds terrible, I know, until you realize that, when I met the Husband, he was:

1. married
2. in lots and lots and lots (did I mention lots?) of debt
3. my co-worker
4. did I mention he was married?

Now I know most of you are gasping, thinking I'm an Other Woman. And I'm SO not. Well, I was, but there were actually three women and one Tonggu Daddy in this little soap opera, as well as God, a wannabe wrestler and an alien abductee (or so he claimed). Just so you can rest assured that I am not an evil, husband-snatching vamp, find out why the odds were really good, but the goods were really odd. Seriously.

And I have no idea how to tell a teenage Tongginator this story. I welcome suggestions.

Carla asked, "How does TH feel about you blogging and sharing your life with the world?"

Up until a couple of months ago, I don't believe that either the Husband or I ever thought my little blog would gather more than a dozen or so readers. It's a weird feeling, having hundreds of people reading about your life every week; however, the Husband also feels Quite Responsible, seeing as how half my readership arrived after that mortifying and Infamous Laundry Post, which HE wrote. (And yes, I'm STILL blushing.) Mostly the husband feels happy with my obsession hobby. He believes, and I quote, that "it keeps me out of trouble and helps me stay sane." I don't know if I should feel relieved or insulted.

We do have rules, however. While we are pretty comfortable in our own skin, some topics remain off-limits. And although I share a lot of our lives, I try to remain positive and kind while doing so. Obviously I don't always succeed, but I do strive to avoid saying something that I wouldn't want my momma... or his momma... or our pastor... or our social worker to hear. If I feel at all concerned about a post, I don't publish it until the Husband first looks it over. Sometimes he suggests a few changes and sometimes he nixes it completely - like my never-published post entitled "The Ebb and Flow of Pee."

It was HYSTERICAL, y'all... and he wouldn't let me share it. Sniff.

I'm also very, very careful when I post photos... not only do I often conceal faces, I also block or crop out street names, house numbers, license plates, school shirt logos and the like. It pays to be careful with your family's information. Do I think we are completely safe? Absolutely not. If someone really wanted to find us in real life, he or she probably could; however, it's more likely that Crazy Stalker Dude will simply move on to a blog which easily lists identifiable information such as last names, hometowns, school names and other stuff that SHOULD NEVER BE POSTED ON THE INTERNET.

I'm just saying...

The Happy Geek asked, "If you had never married Tonggu Daddy, who would your celebrity spouse have been? And why?"

Have I ever mentioned that one of the Husband's and my favorite shows is Top Gear from the BBC? No? Well, it is. And my celebrity spouse would have to be The Stig. Because I love a man who can keep his mouth shut. And I love a man with great taste in music. And I love a man of mystery. Enough said.

Sarah asked, "What do you just LOVE about George?"

I threw this one in here because I never would have discovered George without the Husband. And I have to say that the Columbia River Gorge is gorgeous, but the annual Fourth of July "World's Largest Cherry Pie" is my absolute fave. Because who doesn't love a braggadocios cherry pie?

24 comments:

happygeek said...

I love the story of how you and TD met.
Good luck with sharing that with your daughter(s).
:).
No suggestions here. Other than lying. And that would be bad. So, good luck.

McEwens said...

Oh boy that going to be fun to share with your daughterS (I know she will come soon) as they get older! Creative lying.... is my only suggestion

Marla said...

Wow, that is quite the story! Reminds me of an episode of Friends. Not sure about sharing that one with the kiddos, I'm sure you'll come up with some very creative words, you're good that way. ;)

Have a great week!!

Debbie said...

I am a firm believer that our kids do not need to know every detail about us!

Queen B said...

Oh, you will totally have a great story for your daughter. It just shows that God truly can work all things to His glory!

And the vet situation...LOVED IT. Sorry. I know it was completely awkward, but that's good stuff.

Can you email the never-published funny blog?

gritandglory.com said...

couldn't comment on the old posts but i loved reading how you met. God definitely has a sense of humor, and some mad miracle-working skillz.

and the laundry post? oh my cow, that was funny!

redmaryjanes said...

You are the funkiest girl in blogland and I love you for it!
What if that racecar takes his helmet off and it's scarey under there????

Kiy said...

GREAT post! Oh, and thank you so very very much. I found you after the Infamous Laundry Post so of course had to head on over to read it. I don't think I have ever laughed that hard (on a Monday no less). Oh, and since he posted that I so think you should get to post the Pee one. Now I am dying to read that! :)

Cheers, and thanks for all the sharing. Love it!

Kiy

Becky said...

Like TH, my husband doesn't fully understand my blogging obsession, but he knows there are worse things I could be doing with my time. Like downing entire packages of Oreos in one sitting. Hey, you gotta relieve the stress somehow, huh?

Aunt LoLo said...

That's a great story about meeting TH!!! I would just teach Miss T to pray...and pray she believes you!!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Sounds like y'all have a great partnership!

Laura L. said...

Great story about how you met TH. I'd never read it before.

No need to share the truth with the Tonginator for a very long time. You 2 are her mom and dad, and that's all that she needs to know until at least the teen years I'd say.

The Byrd's Nest said...

You make me laugh. Don't let him proofread anymore..we want more...we want more!

OH MY #6 said...

ask me someday about my DH and I?

Lea
xo

Sharie said...

Love the story!!

Heather of the EO said...

YOU TRAMP. :)

Once again, I love learning more about you like this. So many things to know! Keep it comin'

Stonefox (otherwise known as Heidi) said...

I had to go back through the week to find my answer! Thank goodness you are witty enough to answer these things...I don't think I would open the floor up like you did!

I'm loving the Q & A! Keep em coming!

Kimberly said...

I love, love your how-we-met story!! And " the goods..." Classic. I may totally steal this line.

I can relate in many ways. Especially because your story parallels mine & DH's so much. I too, met my now-husband at our workplace, and he was separated and soon to be divorced--also wearing wedding ring when we first met, which confused the heck out of me for a while. He wore his for much the same reason TD did. Another case of wife leaving husband, though not for an affair. For us the biggest thing to deal with was the age gap between us (18 years) and the fact that he had 5 grown or nearly so kids from the first marriage. We first began talking when he taught a student of mine who was homebound after an accident, and from the first I knew there was something special about him.

Our love story is soooo different from that of my friends or pretty much anyone else I've ever met. It's cool to know I'm not the only one who fell for "the goods"!! I'm really enjoying the Q & A posts!!

discombobulated said...

Did you group our questions using an excel spreadsheet? Just wondering.

Colleen said...

Good questions and great answers...I met my husband on Halloween...we worked together and I was married (seperated). I have never heard of the show Top Gear....I think I'm missing out.

Debz said...

I always love hearing how Harry met Sally stories.
Sweet!

Peanut said...

I love the story of how you met your husband. Kind of similar to how my dad met his wife.

Stefanie said...

Dahhhuuuuuuddddddeeeeee!!! I SO missed that original post, what a crazy meeting story!!! We have even more in common than I thought!!!
Thanks for sharing, TM :)

Michelle said...

"The odds were good, but the goods were odd." How do you come up with this stuff? Hilarious!!