About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Wednesday, January 28, 2009

When You Learn I'm a Poor Planner

This post is part of a Q&A series. Check it out here.

Half Gaelic/ Half Garlic Lisa asked, "What is the name you are going to use on your blog to represent your next baby?" Yes. Hmm. I just knew someone was going to ask this. And I must confess that I have Absolutely No Idea. The Tongginator became the Tongginator because her personality just screams out to a body that "She Is The Tongginator!" Right now we call our future child MythicalBabyInChina because we don't wish to assume anything. (I'm still working on that sense of entitlement, remember.) We might have to create an uber-original name such as "Baby" or "Mei Mei" until we get to know her well.

And suggestions are totally welcome.

In a related question, Soliloquy asked, "Have you requested a child from the same province as the Tongginator?" And here's where y'all might gasp in horror. Because not only did we respectfully ask to adopt a child from the same province (Jiangxi), we added that we'd feel honored to adopt another Tongginator. Someone save us from ourselves. Fellow Tonggu momma Mrs. Fish continuously reminds me that not all Tonggu gals are spicy Tongginators... her daughter RedFish is as mellow as they come.

Fingers crossed.

But seriously, we'd like for our girls to share a common birthplace. If that isn't possible, we won't mourn the fact, but we thought that it wouldn't hurt to respectfully request it, especially since one other Tonggu momma is part of our agency LID group. It's a small group of three or four families now, although it originally consisted of seven. My only stress related to adopting from a different SWI, which by far is the most likely scenario, involves my complete failure to plan ahead with the blog. Tonggu Momma now becomes... And Our Little Tongginator morphs into...

I am an idiot.

But who knows what the future holds? And... on the off chance that we DO adopt our second child from the Tonggu SWI... I will feel very tempted to blog name her T2. Because Arnold is awesome.

Stefanie asked, "What did you want to be when you grew up?" Well, Stefanie, it depends on the age in question. For example, at a very young age:

Gee... thanks for documenting this, Tonggu Grammy

Only I never really learned how to ride a horse, so that kind of stopped my dream in its tracks. By the fifth grade, it became apparent to everyone that I was destined for Great Things. My fifth grade teacher wrote prophesies for all of her students as an end-of-the-year gift. Behold mine in the middle:

click on the image for a larger view; and please note
the reference to my (sob) former Southern accent

Yes, this dream stayed with me through my freshman year of college, when I decided to become a therapist (probably because I needed one after writing all of that horrendous poetry). I majored in Psychology and graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree. About six months after graduation, I learned the TRUE meaning of that B.S. degree. After three "careers" in five years, I finally found my passion for teaching.

Meredith Teagarden asked, "what grade do/did you teach?" Now here's where that poor planning comes in yet again. You see, I didn't want to be a teacher; therefore I did not major nor minor in education. That kind of puts a damper on things, since I'm not qualified to teach in public schools unless I continue my education. Ho-hum. You can see the idea thrills me. Instead, I taught Pre-K and later kindergarten, both at private schools.

What about y'all? What did YOU want to be when you were growing up?

31 comments:

The Source said...

I once thought I wanted to teach. I spent a few years getting over the fact that I hadn't finished college before having four children...until the oldest began school. I became room mom and quickly discovered teaching would NOT have been for me. God knows best. Now, teaching my own kids, that's another thing. But a classroom full? No thanks!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I enjoyed this a lot! I was licensed to teach high school English and never taught. But I stayed home with my kids and do not regret it. I had several little jobs over the years whenever I'd get bored, but the kids always pretty much stayed with Dad. For five years now, I've been the office person for a youth ministry. Isn't it funny where life takes you?

Tonggu Grammy said...

You're welcome! Your bloggyfriends I am certain, greatly enjoyed the photo.

Teaching is great! It's a SNOW DAY!

Peanut said...

I wanted to be a doctor. I didn't change my mind until after my second year of university, when I realized doctoring would not allow me the kind of family life I knew I wanted. So I switched to nursing and found my calling. And also found a career that I could work around my family. Win-win.

Lisa Cairney said...

Ahaaaaaa! As someone who had a BA but NOT in teaching, and yet went on to teach in a private school as well...my hats off to you, woman! Teaching is hard! I bet you are a great teacher though because you obviously have such a fun spirit and passion for LEARNING as well! I wanted to be a diplomat and work in exotic locales while saving the world and bringing peace and joy to the nations. :) PERFECT skillz for mothering. And TM....I hope God brings you a T2...so poetic. :) Hats off as well to TGrammy for her excellent scrapping skills...we ARE enjoying it!

Andrea said...

I always thought I would be a teacher but after attending 3 different colleges, I earned a BA in Liberal Arts. I am going to apply to sub for the next school year, but only elementary age. The older kids would drive me nuts!

happygeek said...

Teaching, meh.
This said by someone whose life goal was to teach and does have a BEd and did teach for 6 of the LONGEST years of her life.
LONGEST.
Guess what I will not be doing after I re-enter the workforce.
I think you should pursue the whole cowgirl thing. It's never too late to follow a dream:)

Georgia Peach said...

I dreamed of wearing a business suit with crisp collared shirt and carrying a brief case to my job in an advertising agency. My mom says that from my earliest days I told people I wanted to work in an advertising agency in a big city.

Now, I can freely admit that I'm more Main Street than Madison Avenue. And I prefer the blue-jean-wearing-design-roles to the collared shirt account manager job.

Now that we have a second baby, my "career" will morph again. No idea what I'll be doing next month or even this time next year.

Briana's Mom said...

Oh my gosh! I wanted to be a therapist and I also got my B.S. in Psychology! I found out the TRUE meaning of that degree too. Ugh. I ended up doing marketing for a real estate company. Not what I thought I would be doing at all!

jen@odbt said...

I wanted to be a doctor. That didn't happen. Now I wish I was a graphic designer. I guess I can still make that happen. I've enjoyed your Q&A and getting to know you better.

Valarie Lea said...

I wanted to be a photographer! So that didn't happen...I know how to push the button on the camera but other than that I am like "aperature what?"

The Byrd's Nest said...

I just wanted to be a Mommy. My mother was so furious with me because I would NOT go to college. I did not suggest this for my big kids but I finally, late in life, just get to be a full time Mommy like I dreamed of as a young girl;)

Heather of the EO said...

I wanted to be a mom. Sounds cliche, but it's true. And p.s. I had no idea what I was getting into when I thought that. And I had more energy then too. Not that I wish to take back my wish. Just sayin' :)

Oh, and my degree is in psych too. B.S.

LindaJ said...

I wanted to be a clothing buyer. I am for sure a clothing buyer, the money is just going in the wrong direction.

prechrswife said...

All Tonggu girls may not be as spicy as the Tongginator, but from what I can tell, the majority of the girls of the 8 from our travel group seem to be. Ours certainly is. In fact, I've only heard about one of them having a really calm, mellow personality. I think it would be amazing if you actually got another Tonggu referral. :-) And T2 would be great. :-)

On a related note, we have friends who did get a 2nd Jiangxi referral, but their girls are from different SWI's.

Loving these answers, by the way. Isn't Pre-K fun? One of these years when my kids are in school, and I go back to work, I really would prefer to go back to Pre-K.

Debbie said...

I don't know if I want to grow up, so I am still undecided. I've been a child for 46 years and it is working OK so far.
I am so excited about mythical baby number 2. Debbie is a lovely name for a child, btw.

Misty said...

i always *thought* i'd make a good teacher, but resisted it, tho i was still an english major "just in case." thankfully, i got my MRS after college, so all's good. :)
i'm totally cracking up at the kmart cashier reference at the person's prophesy underneath yours!!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

When I read your blog I always hear in my head your southern accent!

It's funny, I wanted to be a writer when I was little, and then life happened, and it took me thirty some years to discover it again!

Quirky Mom said...

I too have a BS in Psych, and I too learned the real meaning of BS pretty rapidly.

In 4th grade my gifted class went on a field trip to an archaeological site where we dug stuff up. For a while after that I wanted to be an archaeologist. That would've been such a bad career choice for me! LOL. I've also contemplated teaching (then I worked in a K class and realized I do not want to be in charge of a classroom full of kids) and running a horse stable (teaching lessons, etc.) or tack shop.

I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up, however.

Aunt LoLo said...

I wanted to be a K teacher...so I could grade papers. :-) Then, I wanted to be a mommy. :-) I got myself fired a few weeks after my wedding, and got started! hahaha

discombobulated said...

Still unsure.

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

I always knew I wanted to teach and did for 10 years in the public schools. But I've been home with kids now for 10 years (NOT homeschooling) and love it. I'll probably go back to teaching when the baby goes to Kindergarten in 2 years...

Jennifer S said...

1st - What does LID mean?
2nd - Too bad you don't live in FL... you can become a teacher with a bachelor's degree in any area, so long as you pass the subject matter exam for the grade/subject you want to teach. That's how I got in!

Gail said...

I wanted to be a teacher, my mom taught 5th and 6th grade. Later I wanted to be a doctor, I became a nurse. I should have majored in design or art. Still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

OH MY #6 said...

I don't know really! I wish I was a sales associate with a big discount at Crate & Barrell! LOL! Seriously, wouldn't that be awesome!

Lea
xo

gritandglory.com said...

i'm really enjoying getting to know you better through these Q&A posts...

and i have serious creativity envy.

kia (good enough mama) said...

"Because not only did we respectfully ask to adopt a child from the same province (Jiangxi), we added that we'd feel honored to adopt another Tongginator."

Stranger things have happened! My sis and bil were able to adopt both of their girls from the SAME ORPHANAGE! :)

Sharie said...

Your 5th grade teacher wasn't too far off with the writing!

I wanted to be a monkey - yes, a monkey. A trip to the space center in Huntsville Alabama convinced me that you had to be a monkey to travel in space.
That is until the movie Space Camp - which of course I was obsessed with.

Debz said...

Awesome answeres once again.

I have to say that I may be one of the few who from the time I could speak my own mind....(which I'm told was fairly young :oI )I said I wanted to be a Salon owner and stylist. I furthered my expance and became a master nail technician also...this June will be 22 years. 15 in my own salon.
I couldn't understand why other people kept changing their minds on what they wanted to be and now most of them are not even close to being astronauts or scientists.....

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

I wanted to be a ballerina since I was in the second grade.....and I never had any desire to do anything else or go to college. Well, I didn't go to college, became a ballerina and the career lasted all of two years.....by the grace of God, I landed a great job and gained a lot of experience to get to where I am today without a degree!!

Great post as always...and no worries on the name of the next baby....looks like we will be waiting at least another year....you will have plenty of time to figure it out...unfortunately!!

Michelle said...

I am just catching up on the last few days. Noone can do Q & A quite like you, TM. I have loved all of your answers!! Keep 'em coming.