About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Lives In The Shoe

If my sister KitKat actually had time to blog, she'd probably name her blog something like Lives In The Shoe. Because that's about how big small her house is. Now imagine said house filled to the brim with her husband, four children ages 9 months to eleven years, one slobbery dog named The Colonel (guess who her namesake is?) and - lately - a cantankerous Greek father-in-law.

I say lately, but I really should specify that he's been there for almost five months. And when I say cantankerous, I mean cantankerousness of the going-to-counseling variety. Otherwise I just wouldn't say anything.

Now... I want to make sure you caught that number I just threw out. FIVE MONTHS, y'all. The husband and I previously hosted house guests for that long... house guests that acted like exemplary family members, most notably my friend-in-real-life Blue's husband Bob (and she just started a blog, y'all), then a year later my sister's family of five. We, however, live in a house that is a tad larger than a shoe.

My sister does not.

At the moment, grumpy father-in-law bunks down with both of my nephews. He also doesn't drive, which means he never leaves the house. Ever.

I say all of this to set the scene. Last week my sister KitKat, BIL and the grump sat watching The Family Feud on TV. A question came up that caused my BIL to freeze in terror and my sister to pretend busyness. And the question?

"How long is too long for relatives to stay for a visit?"

I'm sure y'all can guess the answer. Or approximate. And I know that said guesses are no where near as lengthy as five months. The majority of Americans believe that one week is too long for relatives to stay. Some families, of course, aim for shorter visits because "fish and visitors smell after three days," or at least so says the Tongginator's GGPa (great-grandpa, y'all).

But there sat the grump. And my BIL. And my sister. All refusing to look at one another. Or make a sound. My sister forced herself to swallow a bout of hysterical laughter. And then the moment passed.

But thankfully the grump goes home next week. And my sister now loves The Family Feud.

27 comments:

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Oh Lordy. I can just feel the tension--and the swallowed laughter. I suffer from inappropriate laughter as well, so I can relate.
I'm glad a happy ending is in sight! And kudos to your sis for taking Mr. Grumpypants in!

Debz said...

Oh Dear!
At least they see an end in sight.
All's well that ends well. lol

Blue said...

*whew* Relieved to know Bob was a good houseguest. Could have gone either way. Thanks for the nod to my new blog, too!! =)

prechrswife said...

Funny! We live in a tiny parsonage right now, and when our family comes, they stay elsewhere. I can't imagine having an extra person here for 5 months--wow!

Carolina Mama said...

Love Beaufort! Getting the Carolina Girls Rollcall going! ;)

Brooke said...

lol! that's awesome!

i would have never been able to contain myself like she did

Andrea said...

Your sister is very giving, I could not handle having anyone stay with us that long. Even after a few days, I need my space back. Bless her heart!

Cheri H said...

Wow, that is a long time! I too would have froze when the question came on. Imagine the laughter that went on later while whipering in bed! :) That would have been us!

bbmomof2boys said...

Your sister can sure swallow a lot!! (ok - so I won't even type what I WAS going to type...)

She must be a sweet person to put up with that.

And Cheri - right there with ya babe!!

Hugs,
Carla

gritandglory.com said...

i'm not sure i could've contained myself...

Aunt LoLo said...

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...five MONTHS?! That's crazy! And living in a shoe...I can feel her pain there, as well.

Bless her heart!

Kristy said...

That is just about the funniest thing I have heard all year!!! Tell your sister I said Congratulations!!!

Love, Kristy

Briana's Mom said...

LOL! Yay for the Family Feud! I KNOW I couldn't live with my father-in-law for 5 months. EVER.

I have a small sign in my kitchen (that used to be in my grandparents' kitchen) with the fish and visitors saying on it. One of most prized possessions. :)

OH MY #6 said...

Oh my word. 5 months? R U serious?

Lea
xo

edj said...

That is hysterical! He's really leaving, finally, after that?!? TOO funny!

And as someone who has been on the receiving end of extended hospitality, I can say with certainty that your sister is a gem. Otherwise even Mr Grumpy Greek would have left before now.

Janet said...

FIVE MONTHS? Oh dear. I would strangle even the NICEST of house guests by then. ARG. That would kill me. And possibly them too. I'm glad he's going home soon.

Colleen said...

ROTFL that is so funny...well not funny that the FIL has been there for 5 months but the story is funny. My parents left a week a go and they had been with us for 6 weeks... I love them dearly (and my mom is sick with Parkinson's) but it was a long time.
You are so funny...thanks for the laugh I needed it LOL

CC said...

We waaaaaaaaay overlived our welcome by living with my BIL and SIL for a year. A year. But the money that saved us (did I mention my husband had no job and I was an intern??) allowed us to adopt our son. So it was all good. For us. ;)

Gotta love Family Feud!

Kristin said...

Five months?? Oh. My. Gosh. And I think family after 5 days is enough. Wow. My hat is off to your sister. She is A LOT nicer than me.

'Nuf said.

Meredith Teagarden said...

Your sister may be a saint!

Stonefox (otherwise known as Heidi) said...

Wow, that makes for some serious sanctify-ing.

Michelle said...

Oh, I don't know if I could have concealed my laughter. That is just too perfect.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

5 MONTHS....Kitkat is a SAINT! Good thing for family feud or it might have 6 months or.....even longer!!

Hope you are throwing her a party, or at least taking her out to celebrate!

Lisa

Jill said...

Oh no the show didn't!! That is too funny!

discombobulated said...

love it.

The Source said...

Oh gosh! I have a grumpy FIL, too. I probably would have burst out laughing anyway! That's too funny!

Georgia Peach said...

BAH HA HAHAHAHAHAH!!! Oh my gosh...that's hilarious! Not sure how they could even see the television for the huge elephant in the room!