About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Monday, January 19, 2009

Come On Over!

Just wanted y'all to know that we live within 45 minutes of the U.S. Capitol, so if you'd like to crash at our place tonight, you are more than welcome. You only need to give us a call ahead of time so that we can throw some clean sheets on the guest bed. Typical Tonggu House hospitality involves a rousing 6 AM alarm clock we like to call the Tongginator, as well as plenty of coffee and a forage-for-yourself-style breakfast.

And, just so you know, it's forage-for-yourself because I totally don't function until much later in the day... the husband continues to recover from his double ear infection... and the Tongginator is the Tongginator just four-years-old.

But I figure y'all can fend for yourselves. Because if you are motivated enough to attend this year's Inauguration Day Event, then you can definitely motivate yourself enough to scrounge for breakfast here. Plus, I don't think you can afford to be all that picky, since every hotel from here to the other side of the beltway is booked solid. (Even the no-tell motels, y'all.)

If you DO decide to crash here, I'd also like to warn you that we won't be joining you for the day's historic activities. Instead, we'll wave to you from our front door as you drive away. Because, unlike you, we are not crazy. We totally plan to watch everything from the comfort of our family room. Wearing slippers and huddled under blankets while surrounded by that wonderful invention we like to call Heat. We'll also be drinking hot cocoa. And about 25 feet from the nearest bathroom.

Everyone is bracing themselves waiting to find out exactly how many people plan to attend the inauguration tomorrow. It's such a historic event - the swearing-in of the first African-American President - the government expects record crowds. But there are definitely a few things you should consider before you hop in the car to use Tonggu House as a free crash pad.

#1 The typical afternoon temperature for Washington, DC in mid-January is 37 degrees. Which is pretty darn cold if you are from Georgia, although I will admit it feels fairly spring-like if you hail from Alaska. Or Minneapolis.

#2 Do the math, y'all. The city expects 2 million or more people to descend upon the capital tomorrow. Even though our kind city will provide visitors with a record 7,000 port-a-potties on the mall, you'll still be sharing a smelly toilet with nearly 300 visitors. I'm just saying.

#3 If you want to actually see anything beyond someone else's back, you'll have to stand around outside for hours and hours. This is a problem because, well, see numbers one and two (from the LIST, y'all, not the MOM CODE). Oh, and don't assume that you'll be fortunate enough to have Oprah cry on your shoulder. Because that's so not gonna happen.

#4 There aren't all that many chairs. And the secret service said to expect long walks and even longer lines. So... you know... that means you'll be tired. And cold. And shivering.

#5 It rains and sleets a lot in January. And the secret service can't allow people to use umbrellas for security reasons. So... you know... you may get wet, too.

Having said all of that... if you still want to see this historic event live and in person (and you happen to know our phone number), give us a call. You can crash here tonight. You may have a better view from your living room, but you'll actually live the experience on the mall. And we are more than happy to provide you the means to do it.

Even if we think you are crazy.

Oh... and if you don't feel like crazy, you can always check out the blog of this adorable young lady adopted from China, who IS attending the inaugural festivities.

41 comments:

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

I am with you....No way I would be fighting the crowds and the elements to catch a glimpse when I can have a front row seat right here in the warmth of our home!!

You will have to let us know if you have any takers for your guestroom...lol!!

Have a great day:)

Lisa

PIPO said...

Gee...thanks for the offer. You make it sound so inviting ;0) Of course, if you loan out your slippers, keep the hot chocolate flowing and scoot over a smidge on the couch I am sure you'd have a lot of takers!

OH MY #6 said...

what a lovely offer, I think!

But, I too, will be up here, taking the day off work, to be glued to the television to watch this historic event. I think I might have a jumbo box of KLEENEX brand kleenex beside me.

Lea
xo

Rebecca Ramsey said...

We used to live in DC and I loved feeling like I was in the middle of history. I'd love to be there right now--if I could step out of the hotel and walk straight over to a good seat. And had a nearby bathroom, just in case!

Have fun watching it in your slippers!

Briana's Mom said...

I am from Georgia - just too cold for me! ;) I'll be happy just watching on the tube myself!

mama d said...

Very funny. Thank you for the offer. I'll be joining countless Americans on my own couch with my own Kleenex and an alarm to remind me to pick the kids up from preschool.

Aunt LoLo said...

ooh...the weather sounds inviting! (yesterday was the first day it's been above 25 in about a week...)

A big screen and a pile of blankets sound great!!

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

Wow! As inviting as that invitation is, I think the tv in my living room is the perfect setting for me. Of course the kids whining that they want to watch a movie the whole time, will get annoying!

McEwens said...

As I was reading this, I thought, too bad they couldnt change the day to today, Martin Luther King day.....

Gail said...

I don't think I'll be venturing out into the frozen tundra to go to the airport to fly to DC...though the invitation is tempting. And DC is balmy compared to Wisconsin.LOL We'll be watching history from our warm and toasty home. Thanks though.

Lynn said...

I'm staying home too, got my fire, got my bathroom, got my own food and drinks, I'm good to go. You know when we lived there I hated to fight the everyday traffic, I can't imagine what it will be like tomorrow.

Carolina Mama said...

How we wish we could join you. :) Thanks for your sweet comment yesterday. I edited in about his love for his cousin from China. :) It may have all begun there. :)

Debbie said...

I am so excited about tomorrow but I wouldn't go for any amount of money. Like you, I pride myself on being smarter than that.

gritandglory.com said...

i had no idea that's where you are... we (typically) visit that area on our ministry travels. i hope that means there's a meet-up in our future. just not tomorrow!

Valarie Lea said...

Yeah um thanks for the invite, but not gonna happen. I will just stay here in Alabama. :)

Dawn said...

As much as I'd love to meet you in person, let's save it for a later date, k?

We lived in central VA for years and years and loved to venture north. D.C. is an incredible place... but best done with the cherry blossoms in full bloom.

Blessings!

Joan said...

Washington DC is on my list of must see places but not this week. I'll be at work listening to NPR enjoying the events from the warmth of my desk. Even if the temp is 35 something, with rain it would be yuck. :-) So, thanks for the offer but I'll stay here warm and dry.

Kim said...

Yeah, even if I did live remotely close to D.C., there is NO WAY I would attempt to go. I'll be watching for the warmth of my house :)

Patty O. said...

I'll pass, though thanks for the invite. Big crowds AND cold weather? Sounds like the makings for a nightmare day, at least for me and my kids. No way would I ever take my kids to crowds that big. Way, way too nerve wracking. But, I loved your description. You are probably right, I have a better view from my living room here in Illinois, than I would have in D.C. itself.

Third Mom said...

I'm going down, and I cannot wait. I've been incredibly emotional all weekend, so much history and so many personal memories have resurfaced, all of different steps along the way of healing the racial divide in this country. I simply have to be there.

discombobulated said...

spoken like a true local yokel! My in-laws actually fled the area and are in North Carolina. Anyone who lives near D.C. knows it's a zoo on any regular day. I just hope everyone is safe.

I'm very sad that I will be at work again on a very special day. I feel like I miss out on so much because of my job...

Kristen@nosmallthing said...

We live about the same distance away...I wouldn't go if you paid me. It's an historic event alright, but it is best watched under my blankie on my fluffy soft couch thankyouverymuch.

Marla said...

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll stick around here with my nice sunshine and 60 degree temps. Mornings in your house sound a lot like ours, we're very much a do-it-yourself breakfast kind of family. :)

Anne said...

A regular 4th of July on the Mall is enough to fill up a year's worth of crowds for me. I can't imagine the sheer numbers of people on the metro system tomorrow.... that being said, I'm sure the electricity in the air and feeling of expectation will be tremendous. And ALMOST worth braving the crowds.

mommy24treasures said...

you have such a gift for writing.

I won't tell Chloe about the invitation;)

Laura L. said...

Thanks for the invite. :) You're too kind.

I do believe I'll stay here in my cozy home. I think the president-elect would have to be a family member or very close friend before I'd go fight the crowds in D.C.

discombobulated said...

Forgot... hope Husband feels better. He gets such strange illnesses for his age. First, he's in a geriatric/cardiac unit of the hospital with life-threatening heart issues. Now he has a double ear infection like a small child. Hope the doctor gave him a lolli this time!

The Byrd's Nest said...

Ummm...none of that sounds appealing to me except coming to your house...snuggling with warm blankets and drinking hot chocolate!

Becky said...

What? How did I not know that you lived so close to D.C.? Obviously I need to pay better attention...

The hubby and I lived in Fairfax, VA for a while right after we were married. We loved it there!

And good for you for keeping put. It will be a madhouse, for sure.

Andrea said...

Thanks for the invite! I will watch from my warm and not-so crowded house!

Queen B said...

When you describe it like that, I can hardly refuse...

Heather of the EO said...

I'm on my way! :)

You are too funny. Yes TOO funny.

Sharie said...

I am SO with you. I STILL remember going to see the POPE as a kid because of the LONG walk and the FREEZING temps. That wasn't nearly as many people and it was the POPE and I could actually get a glimpse of him:)
My niece did get to play with the Highty Tighties at the inaugural concert last night and I can't wait to hear ALL about it...I didn't even get to see it as I don't have HBO!

Lisa and Tate said...

You do make your offer awfully tempting... sadly... NO AIRLINE TICKETS are available. I guess I'll just hang out here in Utah, sip hot chocolate, watch the TV and enjoy the clean air of my freshly cleaned bathroom. Thanks for your heartfelt offer.

Lisa

Super Mommy said...

Um, thanks for the invite, but I think I'll stay right here in my 70 degree weather and catch the highlights on the news.

You sure do make it hard for a girl to say no though!

Sarah said...

Something else we have in common. I went to college in DC (What can I say I like living places with Washinton somewhere in the name?). I became too much of a local that I wouldn't be caught dead out there tomorrow. You know the tourists flock in the locals evacuate. I miss DC, but not enough to go there when the whole world has it in their sights. I'll be watching on TV & being very happy about it!

Janet said...

I'll be right over.....:-)

Pug Mama said...

ohhhhh, amen sista!

Michelle said...

Oh, now this had me rolling!!! Especially the #1 and 2 part. Mom code. You are hysterical!!

Seriously, I didn't get to watch the inauguration today (GASP!) thanks to a very busy work day, but I did catch the arial views of D.C. My first thoughts were, "what will people do if they have to go to the bathroom?" Thanks for the offer, but no thanks! That scene was straight from my worst nightmare. Me, crowds... Oil, water...

CC said...

Alas, we could not camp at your place. Not that I ever would have braved the cold. But what memories I would have!

jen@odbt said...

We watched from the comfort of our home too except I think I could see Aretha's bow from my house :)