About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Why I'm Mum About Politics

I don't talk politics very often, y'all, in part because the husband and I are a split household. This makes for many irate interesting conversations around the dinner table. It also makes for many thought-provoking moments. I love that about our marriage.

Most importantly, I don't talk about politics very often because I'm just not that bright. You think I jest, but - alas - I do not.

Remember Mr. L? The one with all of the political signs stapled to one of his classroom walls? Well, Mr. L also had one brick wall in his classroom. And he once wrote the name of yours truly on one of those bricks in the spring of 1992. He did that in response to an essay I wrote for my AP American Government class... an essay in which I used the phrases "log barrels" and - even worse - "congressional pork rolling."

Congressional pork rolling, y'all. Can't you just picture the little piggies rolling down Massachusetts Avenue?

(blushing yet again, 16 years later)


As I said earlier, I'm just not that bright. And dear old Mr. L wrote my name on a brick because...

(cue drum roll)

I proved myself to be nearly as dumb as a brick with that comment.

I truly loved Mr. L. He made us all laugh, even when he teased us. And he kept us humble. Humility is important in an election year, whether you voted for the winning candidate or not. That's why I'd love it if y'all headed over to Toddled Dredge to read what Veronica had to say about politics.

Let the uniting begin! Because, after all, we DO live in the United States of America. Well... most of us anyways.

22 comments:

happygeek said...

Ah, those mixed marriages. Tough I tell you.
We don't even discuss politics much anymore. Saves our sanity. And the marriage.

Aunt LoLo said...

Hehehe...there was a teacher like Mr. L in my high school, but (alas!) I left mainstream high school before I could take his class. *sigh*

I think, regardless of who we voted for yesterday, everyone's VERY interested to see what our "Change" President will come up with first!

McEwens said...

tough to livein a mixed house, but like you said.... we are the united states. We have to come together

Pug Mama said...

must say I agree - on the unity part. It's about time.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

How we need to pull together!
Our new president will need all our prayers!

Veronica Mitchell said...

Also a mixed marriage here, tho' we can discuss everything fairly civilly except immigration.

And in a Russian history class in college I wrote a paper in which I persistently confused "Provisional" with "Provincial" government. Not at all the same thing. I looked really dumb.

Lisa said...

YEEHAW! DITTO, girl.

Alyson & Ford said...

My DH is very into politics so I do not feel very worthy of such detailed conversations. Enjoyed reading your recommendation on "What Politics Can't Do".

Alyson
Mommy to Alyzabeth for Seven Weeks
LID 01/27/06

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

So you and TD were on different sides.....I am sure that has made life interesting these past few weeks.....

Meredith Teagarden said...

I have always thought you are such an intelligent writer! Brick, Hm! No way!

Michelle said...

Well, if YOUR name goes on a brick, I'm not sure where mine would go!! Sounds like your Mr. L had quite a sense of humor.

Janet said...

Sniff. I don't. Exclusionist. :-)

Kim said...

you have such a great sense of humor! Thanks for the laugh today

prechrswife said...

The brick is funny. :-) We're a pretty united household politically, but my hubby and his mom, not so much...

Carla said...

Dh and I are united in politics, but details within and solutions are hotly debated. :)

Enjoyed reading the link.

CC said...

I still luv me some Mr. L

Jenny said...

My husband and I are also a "split household" as you called it. I do not mind though. My husband is an Irish citizen, so that means my vote counts more! (I choose to ignore the fact that it is because he can't vote...)

Heather of the EO said...

I'm not that bright either (when it comes to politics...um, or math.)

I'm heading over to the Dredge because I have been doing lots and lots of thinking on humility this election year. And I'm so glad you mentioned it here.

Marivic_Little GrumpyAngel said...

Mine is not a divided/split household, don't like to look at it that way. We're united under one ideal just on different areas of the spectrum, some to the right, some to the left, some in the middle. It's actually fun and fertile ground for spirited discussions. OK I'm going to check out Dredge.

Monica said...

Well, my husband and I are in synch in our political views...but our middle child exercised an independent spirit this election cycle by admiring the leader of the "other side"! (Course, he wasn't alone...my little sister and her entire household were exuberantly rooting for the "other side"...all of which really helped me feel good in spite of "losing"...because at least some really great people that I love a lot are really excited and happy!)

So, there is another real benefit to differing political views in the same family...namely, a loved one ALWAYS wins no matter what the outcome...and that is pretty cool! (Helps this worrier, worry a little less!)

Patty O. said...

I can relate. My name totally belongs up on that brick wall, too. You should hear some of the questions I have had to ask my husband about politics this year.... Sigh.

Rebecca of "China, Baby!" said...

Hubbs and I are completely on the same page politically... but I don't discuss on the blog (or on anyone else's). Just don't feel smart enough to argue with people about it. :)