About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Friday, November 28, 2008

While Folding Laundry

As a parent, you prepare yourself for your child's big milestones: the first time she smiled at you, the day she toddled her first step, her first day of preschool. You eagerly await those upcoming milestones, but - at the same time - you wax nostalgic about the days gone by.

You long for that sweet baby powder smell... or when your toddler raised her arms at you with that "uppy" look we all recognize... or the first time your then-three-year-old asked, "why, Momma?" You spend months waiting for new all-important moments, but they quickly slip away, living only in your memories or the pages of a scrapbook.

And then there are the milestones that take you by surprise. They seem small, insignificant even, but they take your breath away with their simplicity. You feel silly for fighting back the tears, yet they well up in your eyes anyway.

Because they really are inconsequential. Almost unnoticeable, even.

I experienced one of those moments this weekend while I folded laundry in preparation for our trip. When did my baby girl get to be so big? It seems only yesterday that I could fold her shirts with the sleeves laying horizontally across her shirt. And now... now I can't.


My little Tongginator is growing up. Sniff.

16 comments:

Dawn said...

And remember when it was *fun* to do the laundry? All those cute LITTLE clothes that made it almost seem like we were playing with doll clothes. Now mine almost adult-sized and laundry is just laundry... and work! Ha!

LindaJ said...

Growing up is hard to do...for us parents. i was looking at Lila last night sleeping in her bed. Why does she look so big? When did she start taking up over half the bed?

*SNIFF*

Missy said...

sniff, sniff right there with ya! Wait until you take her shopping for...gasp, bras!

It's all so sad : (

Hope you all are doing well. You have been in my prayers.

Heather of the EO said...

I hear you! I experience these moments and feel like I'm probably the only one growing emotional over the tiny milestones. So this post got me all weepy. Love it :)

Momto3 said...

It always hits me how big my boys are growing when I pass down their outgrown clothes.

OH MY #6 said...

so sweet.

Drop by my BLOG for some fun.

Lea
xo

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

When I saw the title of this post I wasn't sure what we were in for...

They grow up so fast....it does make me a little sad from time to time to look back at the small clothes she wore this time last year....so tiny!!

Hope you are hanging in there...miss ya!

Lisa

Sharie said...

I know exactly how you felt. I was just getting some of Amelia's old clothes ready to sell and was so sad to see how much she's grown.

Sharie

Michelle said...

Can I send Leila over to your house for a few days for T to give her some lessons? Leila takes great pride in keeping her room very nice and neat, yet she prefers the cramming/stuffing method of laundry care. I think T has a future at the G*ap. That's pre-Presidency, of course. ;-)

Kia (Good Enough Mama) said...

Oh man, I had a similar moment this week when I found an old pair of Little Man's rubber boots from when he was two. They are SO tiny. Impossibly tiny, actually. :( It's so sad, isn't it? I keep telling LM that he's not allowed to grow any more. For some reason, he always looks at me like I'm an idiot after I say this...

Jennifer said...

It goes by so fast doesn't it?? Your post reminded to savor each moment.

Jen

Patricia/NYC said...

PERFECTLY stated!! I've been feeling so much of this lately too...just today we were going out to the playground, I ran into the other room for something, when I returned Kiara already put her shoes, hat, scarf & zipped up her coat...didn't I just do all that for her LAST week??!!! sigh...It really does go WAY TOO FAST!!!

Hugs, my friend!

Catherine said...

They do grow so quickly. What a fun memory for you to cherish. It's neat to look at the little things in life.

day by day said...

Awww....they really do grow way TOO fast! : (

Kristy said...

I totally understand the tears, my baby is 15!!!!! I don't know where the time goes, so love hard and never stop watching because it happens so fast.
Love and blessings, Kristy

Shellie said...

OH, sniff, those little arms are so cute! Where does the time fly to?