About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Santa, Shaving and Coal

First, I just wanted to tell y'all how much your sweet comments and prayers mean to us. I know I'm not responding privately via e-mail like I typically do, but I'm also sure y'all understand why. We feel amazed by the outpouring of support. Thank you so, so much. And now for the "real" post...

We arrived at our hotel on Sunday afternoon, relatively early by west coast standards, but somewhat late by east coast definition, especially when factoring in our 3 AM start time. Yes, y'all, I did say 3 AM. As in the morning, but not really. Because who in their right mind actually arises at that hour? Not me! I have mentioned a few times that I'm not a morning person, right?

Just checking.

Anyways, we walked into our hotel late on Sunday and to what did our wondering eyes did appear, but a rather jolly old fat man wearing red velor velvet pants, a white shirt and red suspenders while also sporting a very white, very authentic, very full beard. The Tongginator's eyes grew as large as saucers and her mouth dropped open. This man smiled and winked, then disappeared into the elevator.

Of course the Tongginator and I spent the remainder of the evening debating the man's identity. I mean, wouldn't you? She fell asleep with a smile on her face, no doubt dreaming of sugar plums.

The next morning, when we scooted on over to the breakfast room for some coffee and pastries, we saw him a second time. The Tongginator yet again stood with mouth agape and eyes as large as Bambi's. After I encouraged her to stop and say hello, her naturally nosy inquisitive personality took it one step further.

TONGGINATOR: Hello, my name is the Tongginator. What's your name?

JOLLY OLD FAT MAN
: (with a wink and a smile) People like to call me Santa.

TONGGINATOR: What are you doing here?

JOLLY OLD FAT MAN: Well, I've been working so hard, putting in such long days lately, I haven't had the time to commute back and forth to my home. You know how it is.

The Tongginator nodded sagely. I encouraged her to move along so that the man called Santa could finish his breakfast in peace. I gathered some goodies for the Tongginator's breakfast, then sat her down to eat. After about ten minutes or so, I thought the Tongginator sufficiently distracted by Biscuit Goodness to forget his proximity, but when the man called Santa arose to leave, the Tongginator glanced up, waved goodbye, then shouted, "Work Hard!!!"

You tell him, girlfriend!

We spent Monday doing all of the things one would typically expect during such a week, which of course tired out Momma and the Tongginator to no end. When we arrived back at the hotel after dinner, I gave the Tongginator a quick bath. My cell phone rang at one point, so I ran to answer it. I chatted for about five minutes before walking back into the bathroom to check on my little honey bear.

And I found her holding my razor, trying to shave her legs.

With the safety cover off.

I'm sure you can picture it completely -- the shocked gasp, the Tongginator's startled uh-oh look, the blood, the guilt. She's fine. I'm fine. Even the razor is fine. But it looks like Tonggu Momma might be getting coal in her stocking this Christmas. Because I'm sure Santa knows all about what happened. And if he doesn't already know, I'm sure the Tongginator will tell him at breakfast today.

She might even show him her band-aid.

26 comments:

Georgia Peach said...

EEEGAD! I'm glad Tongginator is OK. The razor story made the hair on the back of my neck stand up!

Love the Santa story!

Sherri said...

Yikes! It's a good thing Santa knows that we all aren't perfect!
Please know that you guys are in my thoughts this week.

That's great she saw Santa...this story might come in handy in the future when the questions start!

redmaryjanes said...

Oh now, this is just another Momma Mishap that happens to all of us. I have caught both of the boys at different times trying to shave their chins with my razor. I had no idea how they reached up so high to get it, but they did. Santa will forgive.
Eli keeps calling Santa "The Christmas Guy". I can't get him to remember the name Santa.
I love that a man in your hotel is filled with the Christmas spirit and carries on the charade. Bless his heart! Love you girl, hang in there.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

First of all...can't believe you have time to post....but I am sure it is a good outlet for you with all that is going on.....you have been in my thoughts and prayers!

Oh My...Hope that the T is okay and there wasn't too much blood involved....we had one close call with Sarah...she grabbed mine too, but luckily the safety cover was on!!

Trust me, you will not be getting coal....you have been an angel to many others in there time of need as of late.

Just in case I don't make the rounds before our trip....wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving!

Lisa

Misty said...

oh, yikes, we've had a razor incident (or 2)... those can be scary!
i'm thinking of your family in these hard times.

Misty said...

oh, yikes, we've had a razor incident (or 2)... those can be scary!
i'm thinking of your family in these hard times.

Carolina Mama said...

thinking of you and your family these holidays. Blessings.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

"Work hard!"
I LOVE IT!

Glad everyone survived her first shave!

Briana's Mom said...

I am going to hide my razor right now.

The Santa story was too cute.

Polar Bear said...

I just love her spunk!!! "Work Hard", that is priceless!! :o)

Note to self: Put up the razor when little one comes home! Whew! I bet that was scary for a moment.

Thinking of all of you.

Aunt LoLo said...

That just boggles my mind! How can a kid squash their finger, and start yelling for Mommy...but KNOW they'll get in trouble, so they never make a PEEP when they hurt themselves using something they're not supposed to?!

On another note - I remember, when I was about 4, taking a trip with my family to Hawaii. There was a man "called Santa" there...and he was the highlight of my trip. Actually, he was the ONLY thing I still remember about that trip! It seems to me that he SOMEHOW found a way to get to the hotel room above ours and lower a basket of fruit and goldfish crackers down to our balcony. I hope Miss. T remembers the time she met Santa!

Janet said...

One time I was babysitting my little cousin and she decided to shave her face, like her daddy. She had blood ALL OVER her face and I FREAKED out. Good times.

Meredith Teagarden said...

I loved that! Just loved it! Yes, Little Tongginator there is a Santa Clause :)!

I have passed an award to you!

Michelle said...

My nephew did the exact same in China, only for some reason he decided to see what would happen if he tried it on his mouth! The blood. Oh my gosh, you should have seen the blood. It was totally my fault because I had gone to my sister's hotel room to watch him and my niece so my sister and brother-in-law could go out alone to eat and I left him in the bathroom alone to tend to Gracie and didn't check the shower first. I had to call my sister and have them come back to the hotel room because all of the blood scared me half to death. We must have soaked two towels with it. I can't imagine what the hotel housekeeping service thought when they saw that!

Luckily it was just a superficial wound and my sis and husband were able to go back out and he wasn't seriously injured. But scary!

CC said...

Yack!! How can she be SO fast????

Jennifer said...

Life with the tongginator is always interesting! Again, your blog makes me smile.

Last week Katie handed me my curling iron....it was hot...I asked her how did it get hot??? She replied...I plugged it in over there....yikes!

Jen

happygeek said...

Yikes.
I've been more fortunate. Sprout just used the razor to cut his hair. He's a boy so if his bangs were a bit weird, no one noticed.
Your heart sure stops beating though, doesn't it?

Heather of the EO said...

ACK!!! I'm assuming there was a GASP and then LOUD talking. oops.

I practically handed Asher a sharp knife recently if that makes you feel better. :)

Monica said...

Your second to the last sentence ("I'm sure the Tongginator will tell him at breakfast today.") just cracked me up so much that my husband looked up from "Extreme Make-over Home Edition" and asked, "What are you reading?!"

(maybe Santa will give you extra credit points for entertaining all the rest of us so well!!!)

Sharie said...

So cool that Santa is staying at your hotel to distract the Tongginator.

Amelia and I just had the razor discussion last week (oh how I'd like to shower alone) and I just shared Tongginator's pain with her - I don't think she'll be attempting that any time soon - so no coal for you since you shared a VERY important reminder with us all!

Rochelle said...

Goodness!! You had me wincing to giggling with this post!! Glad everything is okay. LOVE that Santa is there!! What great timing!!

OziMum said...

LOL!!! Well, not so funny that T. was trying to slice and dice her legs! But funny that the man in red is staying at YOUR hotel~ what are the odds?!!

Dawn said...

Oh, my... at least her legs were all that she tried to shave!!!

Our son had a Santa sighting early on and it made for some fun discussions later on down the road. Now that he's a teen, we remind him of it. I'm sure it's a story he'll tell his kids, too.

Blessings!

Michelle said...

TM,
Oh how your Tongginator gives you such good material. She is a riot!

I am thinking about you and keeping you in my prayers.

Love,
Michelle

Peanut said...

The tongginator is TOO cute!
I have a vague memory of one of my children in a situation with a sharp object... they seem to have survived whatever it was! I caught my son eating from the toilet recently... pretty sure I'll be getting a lump of coal myself!

Paul S. said...

Why do our little ones want to grow up so quickly???
I doubt Santa will give you coal for Christmas, but he might consider an electric razor of you :)

Terrye in FL