About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Thursday, November 13, 2008

Montage of the Colonel

When the parental units came to visit this past weekend (you know, when the Tongginator met the future Miss America), the topic of my little blog came up. I asked my father his opinion of The Great Time Waster Our Little Tongginator. Because, you know, I'm still a ten-year-old girl hiding inside the body of a middle-aged woman, desperately seeking the approval of my family members. My daddy nagged me yet again about writing a book gave his approval, but did mention that he felt there was a little something lacking.

He believed my readership might quadruple if I altered things a bit. He felt it would take very little effort on my part, yet reap great rewards. He informed me that, in his humble opinion, I did not post enough photos... of HIM.

I'm sure y'all now understand from whom I inherited my sense of humor. And, as you can guess, I'm happy to oblige him. But only because I love him so much.

Here is a photo montage of my daddy the Colonel, also known as the Tongginator's Grandfather. I don't wish to get into too much trouble, but there is one blog-worthy visual I must point out. If you look at the photo in the lower left, you shall see the Colonel, me and my Aunt P. I would be remiss in my blogging duties if I failed to comment on that shirt.... that collar... that era.

And that bottom center photo? That is the site where my fingerprints died. Oh, yes it is. At least, I think it is. When you live in six houses and one apartment before the age of five, family rooms all tend to blur together. And since I am not an Enginerd like the husband, I have no idea if that makeshift cooking apparatus is a kerosene heater. It must be, though, right?


I'm sure my blog readership quadrupled today. After all, if the Colonel says it's true, then it must be so. I love you, Daddy.

And is this what you had in mind?

For more Sincerely Fro Me To You fashion and childhood flashbacks, check out We Are THAT Family.

38 comments:

heidi said...

What a handsome daddy!

Sharie said...

How wonderful to have so many photos of your dad when he was younger. I have 1 photo of my dad before I was born. I think I'm going to have to go steal some photos from my mom:)

Joan said...

Dad's Rock!!! Especially Dad's with a wonderful sense of humor.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

I always love your flashback photos....the colonel is a handsome man!!

Lisa said...

Look what a handsome daddy the Colonel is! And you know what I love? That his flight suit is nearly identical to John's. And since his other wardrobe pieces from that era were a tiny bit questionable, I think I'll advise John from now on to only be pictured in HIS flightsuit as well. :) I love me a timeless fashion statement.

Lovely tribute to your Daddy, TM, and hey! I bet your readership DOES quadruple by day's end.

P.S.He loves you.. said...

very good looking...love those militarty men!

My Heart Beats In China said...

What a great post and handsome Dad! Love those clothes, that era, Oh I hear Abba playing in the backround!

Absolutely terrific post! Kudos to your Dad and you for writing this.

Hugs,

Ivy

Briana's Mom said...

Love the pictures of your handsome daddy! I didn't realize your blog was lacking anything until now. ;)

Krista ~ Bits and pieces said...

So handsome~ there is something OH SO special about a father daughter bond!!!

Thank you for sharing him with us,

Krista

Tonggu Momma Husband said...

Hi TM,
Two comments ...
One, yes, that is a kerosene heater. So if not that heater, one just like it took away your finger prints when you were little. Second ... I'm sure all the 'handsome' comments are achieving their subliminal goals ... causing Tongginator's Grandfather to smile from ear to ear ... and causing Tongginator's Grammy to roll her eyes yet again at her husband.
I can't wait to spectate on this conversation.
:-)
Oh ... and ... what are you doing Friday night?

Aunt LoLo said...

Well, I hope your readership DOES quadruple!!

And tell your Daddy is is very handsome. :-)

Rebecca Ramsey said...

The colonel is cute!
And I am another ten year old girl in a middle aged body! We should form a club!

Georgia Peach said...

Yep, that's one handsome Colonel. But can he wrangle a classroom full of children, grandparents, and crickets like Tonggu Grammy?

A question for you, my word-nerdian friend. Why is the word spelled colonel and pronounced Kernel? Can someone 'splain that to me, please?

OH MY #6 said...

lovely, lovely post! your dad is really handsome.

Lea
xo

Debbie said...

Your dad was right. We do like the photos!

Valarie said...

I am sure he appreciates the one of him blowing his nose! :)

We are THAT Family said...

Too funny and what a great Dad. The photos are awesome.

Carolina Mama said...

So sweet! Love these pictures. What a blessing.

prechrswife said...

Great pictures! :-)

LifeAtTheCircus said...

Wonderful pics, way to make your Daddy's day!

jennifer said...

That's it! I will be a reader for life! Those pictures have captured my imagination and will not let me go... I must have more pictures! I must have more blog! Your father is a man of good looks, charm, and brilliance!


(Do you think he will like this comment?)

Ha! Have a great day!

Momto3 said...

How fun! Love your dad's sense of humor!

McEwens said...

Love his humor! your dad is goooood loooookin

Gail said...

Your dad is quite handsome I have to say.

I'm also a 15 year old(sometimes 13) in a middle aged mom body too!

Kate said...

Ah-HA!!! That little mystery is solved...the apple REALLY doesn't fall far...

...and hey...if you figure out how to overcome that child in an adult's body wanting approval thing...let me know...

Loved the little flashback...

Kate

Tonggu Grammy said...

My eyes are definitely rolling, so dramatically that if MY mother were to see, she would tell me that they're going to get stuck that way. Just so you know, yes, that it is the offending kerosene heater and only 1 of those photos was taken prior to TongguMomma's birth. (That would be the one of the sloshed Marine after the Marine Corps Birthday Ball) Unfortunately for me, the Colonel has always looked young. So unfair!

PIPO said...

I gotta say the Colonel will keep me coming back...not a doubt in the world. LOL

At least you're a little girl inside. I have a 10 year old boy tucked away in my subconscious ;0)

Michelle said...

So not fair!! You mom & your dad are both funny!! It's in your genes.

And Enginerd... love it!

Did your site meter spike?

Cheri H said...

Love the photo's! Boy does he look young!

Laurie said...

That colonel is handsome AND has a sense of humor;) Hahaha! Loved it.

rachel said...

You are an amazing writer and hilarious. I just love your writing style and your blog. Your comment just made my day...thank you!

discombobulated said...

The first one of him is how I remember him.

I think you accomplished the goal of quadrupling your followship and making the Colonel proud, but does he know you posted him blowing his nose on the World Wide Web?!

Monica said...

I am certain that posting photos of this caliber will, indeed, make your readership increase exponentially... Personally, I was especially touched by the portrait of your father blowing his nose...

(0:

Janet said...

My mom always nags me to write a book too. Hmmmm..maybe a joint effort? :-)

The colonel was well represented. I am sure he is satisfied with his homage. :-)

The Colonel said...

Why do I detect such sarcasm
Which we know today is the lowest form of wit
It could never be from her youthful years
Which were filled with joy and glad
Nor from the parental unit
Whose guidance through her formative years
Was just so perfect and complete
Oh where did I go wrong
Oh How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is
To have a thankless child!

Jerralea said...

Of course, I've already become a loyal reader of your blog, but I have to admit the good looking Colonel adds to the attraction!

Patty O. said...

Great pictures. You are lucky to have such a great relationship with your dad!

Tammy said...

Sweet post. I am totally digging the bottom left one, in a Greg Brady fashion sort of way!