About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Monday, November 10, 2008

Meeting Royalty

Y'all, the Tongginator demoted me on Saturday night. It's a painful truth, I admit, but there isn't much I can do about it now. And I've had a day to adjust to this new reality, so I'm not feeling too bitter hurt anymore.

You see, my daughter the Tongginator met someone. And not just any someone. This weekend my little preschooler met someone who completely rocked her world. She spotted this person from across a crowded room. The lure of the glitter and charm proved too strong for the Tongginator to resist, so she dragged her Grammy along with her, weaving between cocktail conversations and waiters laden with trays.

When the Tongginator reached this person, who was already deeply engaged in conversation with another admirer, my daughter - true to form - stopped just four inches away, staring up high at the glitz and glam. (Notice I said inches and not feet, y'all.) The Tongginator appeared agog and aquiver. And something happened that I never thought I would see in my lifetime.

This person rendered the Tongginator speechless.

I KNOW! I could barely believe it either!!!!

The Tongginator's new best friend continued chatting with another, but also sneaking furtive looks at both the Tongginator and her Grammy. My Most Important Person In The Tongginator's World replacement tried very hard to quickly wrap up her conversation so that she could acknowledge the Tongginator, but the Tongginator didn't seem to mind the wait. It seemed the glitter and sparkle blinded her to the passage of time.

And then the conversation finished.

And Louise Schlegel, Miss Maryland, graciously knelt down to meet my little girl. The Tongginator, finally coming back into own, quickly introduced herself.

TONGGINATOR: HiMyNameIsTheTongginatorAndIAmFourYearsOldWell ReallyFourAndAHalf.

MISS MARYLAND: Well hello there, Tongginator. My name is Louise. How are you?

TONGGINATOR: Good, thank you. (glances at Tonggu Grammy)

TONGGU GRAMMY: Go ahead, Tongginator. You can ask her.

TONGGINATOR: Can I touch you tee-... your tee-are... your CROWN?

MISS MARYLAND: Of course you may.

With that one touch, the Tongginator's admiration grew by leaps and bounds. Which, of course, knowing our Tongginator, led to this...

TONGGINATOR: Can I wear it?

After sweet Louise tried to gently explain that no, the Tongginator couldn't wear her tiara, Tonggu Grammy stepped in with the firmness needed to dissuade our little jackhammer. Miss Maryland conversed with the Tongginator for a few more minutes before finally bidding her adieu. But the love affair didn't end there. From a distance, the Tongginator waved to Miss Maryland throughout the evening. I'm only surprised she didn't attempt the elbow, elbow, wrist, wrist pageant wave.

The Tongginator and her daddy left the fund-raising dinner early due to bedtime constraints, but I caught a ride home with my parents. And y'all would be proud of me... instead of my typical duck-and-cover, I approached Miss Maryland at the end of the evening to thank her for her kindness.

And you know what she said to me?

MISS MARYLAND: Your little girl is adorable. I enjoyed meeting her so much. And she is absolutely beautiful.

Well, goodness me. Now I know what we're gonna be watching on January 24th. We have to. And I hope Miss Maryland wins, partly because her platform is adoption, but mostly because I believe she has excellent taste.

43 comments:

Stefanie said...

Oh no. Might you have Aqua Net hair spray, tap shoes and fake eyelashes in your near future?

P.S.He loves you.. said...

Don't you know she will never forget seeing her on TV...very neat!

day by day said...

Miss Maryland is beautiful...I can understand why The Tongginator was mesmerized! Sounds like she has a very loving heart as well...to take time to talk with her!

It will be so exciting for her to be able to see her on TV!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

What a fun night! I remember as a child feeling the same way when I met a bride at her wedding--it was as if I had met Snow White!

Lisa said...

...and butt glue...Stefanie forgot the butt glue to make sure the bathing suit doesn't ride up....Sounds like the T had a magical evening...and I'm sure you will soon reign once again as Queen of her heart. :) Just a temporary coup for Miss Maryland.

Aunt LoLo said...

That is just too cute!! And yes, Miss Maryland DOES have excellent taste. :-) What a brave little girl. BBJ can't even cross the room for a MUFFIN.

Monica said...

Now I KNOW that the Tonginator is the envy of my Rayna! The TONGINATOR has met and spoken to and TOUCHED(!) a real live PRINCESS!!!! (Believe me, anyone who owns that nice a tiara has got to be a princess!)

I hope Miss Maryland wins, too!

Polar Bear said...

I LOVE Tongginator's spirit!!! I would have just admired from afar and never had the nerve to actually speak with Miss Maryland!!

What a wonderful memory for Tongginator!!

The Source said...

Awww...what a memory! Miss Maryland is definitely pretty on the inside as well as the outside.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

I do see some pageants in your future....and I don't think those pretty pink headbands are going to cut it anymore.....The Tongginator now has a new type of "headband" on her mind!!

Very cute story....you have to love her spirit!!

Hope you have a good week!!

Lisa

Kate said...

Yeah, Yeah...impressed with Miss Maryland and all...but what is REALLY impressive is your use of the word agog. Seriously...I am in a state of vacabulary envy.

Some might even say....agog...

Kate

Lynn said...

What a great night and memory for your daughter!

Wendy said...

What a sweet story! Miss Maryland is beautiful and sound like she is a nice person too!

PIPO said...

Ahhh...the stars in her eyes.

Jillene said...

I just read your story over on Heather of the EO's blog and can I just say that you are HILARIOUS!?

I think that I am now going to have to stalk you--even though you already have like a gazillion followers!!

Beverly said...

perfect!!

My Heart Beats In China said...

Hi
Thanks for stopping by. Love your blog and this story! Your daughter is very smart! Next thing you know she'll be wearing that crown!

Will come back and read your posts. Great Title by the way. Also, my daughter flung the food all over...faster than the dog could even eat it. Too funny.

I will keep you in my thoughts as your wait continues for Mei Mei. LID is June, my birthday month! Hope things speed up real soon.

Blessings,

Ivy

McEwens said...

That is AWESOME! I hope she wins Ms America, she was very gracious

Lynn said...

Hey, I emailed you, did you get it? My email is dlrtc at yahoo dot com.

Marivic_Little GrumpyAngel said...

For that world-class display of grace and kindness I will root for Miss Maryland (and Miss California) on January 24th.

And in a few years I will root for the Tongginator when it is her turn to compete for the tiara she wanted so much to borrow :-) Wouldn't you be an even prouder Mama then?

prechrswife said...

How sweet is that? :-)

CC said...

Absolutely adorable. Sorry about the de-throning.

Debbie said...

What four year old wouldn't be all agog over a princess in a tiara. Heck, I might even want to touch her crown! Glad to find you through Heather's blog.

Lisa and Tate said...

Cute.... I hope Ms Maryland wins too! How cute she made Ms Tong feel so special...

The Byrd's Nest said...

Awww....I think she should have let her try on her crown. It meant so much to little tongginator.

How sweet that she was so enchanted by her.

Michelle said...

How cute! That's better than meeting a Disney princess. Glad to hear Miss M has great taste!

Kathryn said...

cute, cute, cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the way you write!!!!!!!!

Sharie said...

I thought for sure you were at a wedding as that's exactly how Amelia reacts to brides. Of course I could never write about it as wonderfully as you do!

OziMum said...

Geez Miss M-land is gorgeous! And sounds like she has the perfect personality too... she WILL get world peace?!! Hope she wins!

Hope Tongginator was wearing her princess headband?!

Stonefox (otherwise known as Heidi) said...

Yes, she does has great taste! How awesome the Tongginator got to meet her!

Jennifer said...

Katie would have been in royalty heaven too.

Sounds like Miss Maryland was very sweet.

Jen

Soliloquy said...

Well if the crown hadn't drawn her, that face would have. Miss Maryland is GORGEOUS!

I'm impressed that the Tongginator let nothing stand in the way of her goal.

Please tell me you got a picture of them together....

Rebecca of "China, Baby!" said...

How fun is that??? What little girl could resist royalty... or a sparkly tiara!!??? What a lovely person she is too. And yes, with fabulous taste in children. :)

Drea said...

That is so cute! Thanks again for all of your support through our journey! Just wanted to peek in over here! And as of right now, Mia is asleep in her fairy room! I'm sneeking out to watch DWTS and eat some cake!

Janet said...

Adorable. As usual. :-)

Joan said...

How cool for your daughter!

My daughter had an adoring moment when she was 4. We were at a play for the local VFW and it was a spoof of Gilligan's Island. My daughter was not all agog over Ginger or Maryanne but .... Mrs Howell. :-)

Joan.

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

Olivia would be so jealous!!

discombobulated said...

Is Miss Maryland adopted? What a great story.

mommy24treasures said...

what a sweet sweet post:)

Briana's Mom said...

Sounds like you may have a future Miss America on your hands!

Suzy said...

Awwwwwww! That is so sweet. And let me tell you, once you get it bad for the tiara, you never EVER outgrow it. I graduated with a 4 point GPA, and I would have traded it all for one measley little tiara. Heck. I'd still be wearing it. God knows his stuff, though, and He made sure I never got one to covet. And I don't want anyone else's. No SIR. I want my OWN. Maybe I'll have a big one in heaven...

Steffie B. said...

what a precious, precious story.... ;)

Mandy said...

That is terribly sweet. I may just have to root for Miss Maryland instead of Miss Mississippi!