About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Testing... Testing...

WARNING: Some may actually label this post nagging.

I don't quite know how to begin this post, so I'm just gonna come out and say it. The Tongginator has bathroom issues: some are health-related, some are not. We've dealt with everything here at Tonggu House... from catheters to later-than-typical potty training to numerous urinary tract infections (UTIs) to labial adhesions to attachment-related bathroom control issues.

And when I say attachment-related bathroom control issues, I mean The Serious Ones. That you read about. In attachment books.

Yeah. It is perfectly acceptable to feel sorry for me.

So when the formula scandal broke in the Chinese media, the Husband and I paid close attention. We've been home over three-and-a-half years, but we watched the news stories with interest, wondering - in the back of our minds - if the Tongginator's bathroom issues somehow related to the melamine poisonings contamination scandal. Some organizations believe the contamination began as early as 2004. Add to these facts that the Tongginator weighed less than 14 pounds on her first birthday and... well... you see our concern.

For those of you not as familiar with this topic, just know that milk collecting stations around China added melamine to milk to disguise the fact that manufacturers were watering down said milk. Melamine is a chemical substance with several industrial uses, including the manufacturing of plastics, flame-retardant fabrics, glues, concrete and crop fertilizers.

And those jerks people bowing down to the almighty dollar put it in baby formula. BABY FORMULA, y'all.

It makes me want to sit on the floor and sob.

Last week we took the Tongginator in for testing. She received a complete urinalysis a few weeks ago due to yet another UTI, but this time we went in for a renal ultrasound. We didn't expect to find anything, but we needed the peace of mind. Otherwise I'd be wondering every time the Tongginator received another prescription for Amoxicillin. Or when she "dribbled" yet again in her panties. Or when she complained that her pee pee "stinged" even though tests done that week proved she didn't have a UTI... at least, not this time.

The renal ultrasound came out clean. We expected that result, but I still felt a weight lift off of my shoulders when I received the phone call. And the Tongginator earned a second Princess Headband (and a Popsicle!) because of her stellar performance at the radiologist's office.

Now I realize y'all probably don't struggle with our bathroom issues. I realize that most of our current bathroom challenges stem from the Tongginator's sensory issues. Still, I strongly urge China-adoptive families to talk with their pediatricians about the melamine poisonings contamination scandal. Running through a gamut of tests will be completely unnecessary for many of y'all, but it never hurts to have a little chat with your pediatrician. It's not just me saying this. And I don't care how long your child has been home.

Make the call.

I also ask that everyone - no matter if you are part of the China-adoptive community or not - say a prayer for these poor babies and the families effected by this horrible crime.

End of Nagging. You're welcome.

EDITED TO ADD
: The China Beat has a page of links now up if you'd like to read more about the tainted milk issue.

27 comments:

happygeek said...

Yeah! her ultrasound was clean! (Been prayin').
Also glad that the ultrasound went so well.
A little nagging never hurt nobody.

Stefanie said...

Oh girl, I do. Feel sorry for you. And for the tongginator. That bathroom stuff is the hardest.
Great news on her ultrasound, and great job nagging everyone to talk to their ped about the melamine. I really WILL make that call.

Carolina Mama said...

Bless your heart. We are praying about this for y'all and the other children and families. I had no idea....
Thankfully that sonogram was clear.

Tish said...

great post. so glad the ultrasound was clean. we are still in the china wait, but this will be important to talk about with our ped when we finally do come home iwth our baby.

K and/or K said...

This is great news for you family and nice advice for others. While I don't have experience with kiddo bathroom issues the world of urology is all too familiar to me. Let's just say I should have stock in a pharmaceutical co. and the market might not have crashed.

Lynn said...

I'm happy to hear her ultrasound was clean!

Polar Bear said...

That entire mess is so very sad. I'm sorry you're having to go through all of this, but I am happy that the tests came back clear.

This is a good, informative post. Thanks.

missy said...

Poor baby! I had no idea that this was going on. I pray the sweet Tonginator isn't affected by the melamine. When I was little, I had very serious UTI problems. Eventually they had to enlarge one of my tubes (not sure which one). Hugs to you and your sweetheart!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

I am so glad that everything is A okay with the Tongginator....that is some scary stuff! I read about the melamine on a couple of the boards....and most adoptive families I know are taking the safe approach and having their children tested!

As you know, we just had our first ordeal with a UTI and it was not pretty....sorry that T has to deal with these type of situations frequently..poor baby! I am sure that pretty princess headband helped ease the pain....a little!

McEwens said...

Glad the test came back clean and you recieved peace of mind!

jennifer said...

It is just so unthinkable that this even happened in the first place. So sad... We had our own potty problems here (it is NOT fun), and we didn't even have anything like what you're going through. It has to be so frustrating. I'm glad the ultrasound was good.

Georgia Peach said...

The melamine scandal is just so terrible. What in the world were they thinking?

I'm sorry to hear about your bathroom issues. But i am glad to hear that ultrasound was good.

redmaryjanes said...

Excellent post because I think a lot of people are assuming that this is only a recent thing. I think it is very important to have your child screened.

Briana's Mom said...

It makes me sick every time I think about the scandal.

Bri has her checkup next month. I plan to talk to her doctor about it.

So sorry to hear about all the bathroom issues. :(

The Byrd's Nest said...

So thankful her test was clean and we have an appointment in two weeks to find out about Lottie.

So sorry about the bathroom issues and you're not nagging. It's like having coffee with a bunch of your friends and then we just give you big hugs afterwards! )))Big Hugs(((

Janet said...

Glad things are good in the urinary department.

The whole melanine thing makes me so mad. THESE ARE BABIES! Are you kidding me? You put CHEMICALS into their milk? Why don't you just shove abestos down their throats. Honestly.

Michelle said...

It makes me want to sit on the floor and sob too.

So glad the ultrasound turned out clean!

OziMum said...

The milk powder fiasco, is a disaster. We're praying our little one, was on a different brand - but will be getting him/her tested when we're settled back at home.

:) Another Princess Headband?!! OH MY! How did the little Princess cope with such generosity?!!! ;) (yes, I tease everyone!)

Sharie said...

I have an order for Amelia's blood work and realized this weekend that an ultra sound was probably a good weekend. I've got to fax more info over to our doc tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder!

Sharie

Veronica Mitchell said...

I'm so glad the tests turned out well. I've been thinking of you.

Kim said...

I am sorry to hear she has some issues in this area, but happy to know her test came out well.

It is unbelievable how people can do these things and sleep at night.

Beck said...

I cannot even imagine the level of callousness needed to even consider adding a known toxin to baby formula. Good Lord.
Thank God your little one's tests came back clean. My heart aches for the children hurt by this.

Debz said...

Scairy stuff.
Glad to hear Tongginator's sonogram was clear.

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

I am going to have to keep all this in mind... remind me again before I go... I did keep the link though...

discombobulated said...

This might be too elementary given that you've been dealing with this for so long, but do you watch her wipe? Is she going front to back?

Michelle said...

TM,
I'm so glad to hear T's test came out clean!! I have read so much about this on our agency's SN Yahoo group. It is so scary. I plan on having Mia checked during her next visit.

Lisa said...

Hey, TM. I, for one, WELCOME and appreciate the nagging! I tend to be one of "those" moms who wait things out until it's a bigger mess than we started with...I will make the call...and hey...I feel for you on the potty issues...such a bummer...hang in there, girl.