About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Storing Up Treasures

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
~ Matthew 6:19-21


Our pastor spoke about this passage recently. It really hit me in my gut because... and I'm so embarrassed to admit this... I've been storing up treasures lately. I'm not exactly sure if they'd be considered earthly treasures, since moths and rust can't destroy them, nor can thieves abscond with them.

I only wish thieves COULD steal them.

Well... if I'm honest... technically it's possible for thieves to snatch them away, but probably only for one more night. Because tomorrow they will vanish, stored up and unable to disappear without lots of hard work from yours truly.

Sigh.

I do this to myself every year. I only wish I placed my focus more on heavenly treasures than on this vat of decadence I wallow in each October. It's bad for my heart, both literally and figuratively.

Because my treasures?

It's so shameful.

But my treasures?


I'm not talking about the Courage. Confidence. Character part either. Look a little lower. See them? Of course you do. They call out to one in the dessert diet, chanting, "one isn't so bad!" Only they mean one cookie, not one BOX. And yes, there were more boxes of goodness, but I already ate through them. I think I've stored up at least 3000 calories these past two weeks. I've seriously lost count.

And my glutes? They've definitely forgiven me. They are now talking to me again. Thanks so much for asking.

But my friend in real life Organic Nerd may never speak to me again.

32 comments:

Georgia Peach said...

hahahahaha.....hilarious!

Dawn said...

We haven't bought any of the cookies this year. Last year was a different story. I bought three boxes from the daughter of a friend. Hubby came home from work that same day and said to me, "Don't buy any cookies from anyone. I bought three boxes from three different people (employees) today." We ended up with a DOZEN of those boxes. Thankfully, they freeze well. Unfortunately, they just didn't stay in the freezer long enough.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Oh the wonder of Thin Mints!
You've got me drooling!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

"Half Gaelic" is a big fan of GS cookies....he ordered 14 boxes from our niece!

He believes one won't wreck the diet either......one sleeve that is......his favs are the thin mints! He will eat and entire sleeve with a huge glass of milk as a "snack" before bed.....YIKES!!

Stefanie said...

You had me all revved up for some good preachin' this morning! All I'm thinking about now is where I can get me some Thin Mints. Thanks.

redmaryjanes said...

LOVE SAMOAS!!!!!

happygeek said...

We don't have those up here.
GOOD THING!

Briana's Mom said...

Those cookies are evil. They seriously call you to come eat them. I swear I have heard my name before. ;)

Michelle said...

LOL! The Thin Mints are my downfall....I don't even buy them, because they are as good as gone as soon as my hands hit the box! : )

Polar Bear said...

Are you sure Girl Scout Cookies aren't one of the necessary food groups, like dark chocolate? :o)

Love the Do-si-dos!

McEwens said...

OH girlfriend.... scoot over and pass me some of those mint ones!!! Those are my favs!!!!!!

K and/or K said...

I know Jesus loves Samoas. I just know it!

goodfountain said...

I want to support the girl scouts, I really do, but I have to Just Say No to the cookies. A lesson learned the 'large' way.

Third Mom said...

Oooo, Thin Mints! I love them frozen, but if I open a package, they're GONE, which is why I just can't buy them anymore. Dang.

Peanut said...

Oh great! Now I'm hungry! Funny how certain things just get you and you can't stop... I get pretty weak when it comes to cookies too!

Patricia/NYC said...

Allo I can say is....PLEASE... give me more Samoas!!!! LOVE them!!

Cheri H said...

Yummy!!! Wanna share? LOL I need to go find me a girl scout now!

LaLa said...

You do know they make ice cream too...thin mint ice cream is YUMMY!!!!

Janet said...

Never heard of them. But don't worry....they're still with you....on your hips. :-)

Carla said...

they are selling cookies already?! Somewhere?! OH MY GOSH I SO NEED ME SOME.....

*not a good post to read in the throes of major PMS*

Sharie said...

I knew as soon as I saw the tops of the boxes what they were. Those colors! YUM!! No fair, they don't sell them here until spring!

Sharie

Michelle said...

Seriously? It's that time of year? How on earth did I miss it with tons of little Girl Scouts living in our neighborhood? Maybe it was all the Boy Scouts selling popcorn that blocked their way at my door. Please eat a box for me. Samoas, please.

organicnerd said...

Ha, never! I do splurge once in a while. AND, Back to Nature makes a fudge covered mint cookie that looks and tastes JUST like Thin Mnits without the hydrogenated oil and other junk...I swear it to be true! In fact, I'm eating one right now while I enjoy your blog.

Soliloquy said...

THAT is a CLASSIC post! It will go down in history!

Do you know? We had NOT ONE Girl Scout come to our door this year.

Nary a single box purchased (and therefore, sadly, not consumed) this year.

Pity.

Monica said...

I'm with you...gobble down all the cookies you can while they last!!! Those Girl Scout cookies are so SEASONAL, you know!!!...and you can't possibly enjoy them without a few tall glasses of ice cold homogenized skim milk alongside them!!! (I am STILL reeling over the discovery that SKIM milk is bad...what could possibly be GOOD in my diet if SKIM MILK is bad!!! Thanks, NOT!, for leading me to this discovery via your healthy organic buddy!!! Now, even my MILK is going to leave me feeling guilty!!!!!!)

mommy24treasures said...

I have sinned and ate WAY I mean WAY to many doseedos and tag a longs in my time. So I understand and forgive you...

Carolina Mama said...

What a riot and in October no less! Oh dear. Congrats on you Kreative Award!! And I love that Helmet post! :) Cute pics.

How is family of your friend coping?

OziMum said...

I thought they were bookmarks til I scrolled down a bit lower!!! LOl!!!

Hey! If you can't give your taste buds a treat every now and then, then there's something wrong!!

CC said...

Yum. oh.

Debz said...

SINNER!!!
LOL
Hang on a sec while I remove the plank from my eye..

Ok
I repent.

discombobulated said...

A serving of Girl Scout cookies is one box or they wouldn't put only 5 cookies in a box. I know the guilt. I love Girl Scout cookies, but wish they'd give us just a little more per box.

Lisa said...

Yummmy. SURELY your pastor couldn't have POSSIBLY even REMOTELY been referring to these sort of treasures, could he? Because, please...these came straight from Heaven. I'm pretty sure it says that right on the box.