About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Thursday, October 2, 2008

How I Met Yankee

I adore our friends Brit and Yankee, plus their little girls Doodle and Dandy. We were neighbors for several years until the Husband and I moved to our current house. But, more importantly, we've been close friends with them for over eight years now, even vacationing together a couple of times. We didn't meet under such auspicious circumstances, however.

Let me set the scene...

Not so long ago, during the summer of 2000, I lay peacefully in my bed at 6:45 AM. Why did I slumber so late? Well, first off, the Tongginator hadn't cannon-balled into our world yet. Plus, I earned my living as a teacher way back when, so I spent my summers sleeping late, then rolling out of bed so that I could tax myself reading books poolside.

Because - you know - huge, frosty cans of Diet Coke are really heavy.

(I totally needed my rest.)

But that fateful morning, while the Husband was on a business trip to Boston, I did not gradually awaken to the sounds of birds chirping quietly outside my window. Oh, no. I awoke to banging.

Loud banging.

It took me a minute to realize that the banging resounded from my front door. I stumbled out of bed, down two flights of stairs and jerked open the door. There stood my neighbor - let's call him Prison Guard Retiree (because, you know, he was a retired prison guard). There he stood, waiting to yell at me. "Hoo-ey, Tonggu Momma. The Husband is gonna KILL you!"

I stared at him blankly, then his wife shouted from over his shoulder, "Oh, SURE, Prison Guard Retiree! Tonggu Momma just did this ALL ON HER OWN. Are you kidding me? Like she could even lift them. What are you thinking? They've been ROBBED!"

Robbed. The word echoed in my brain for a minute. Then I slowly turned my head and saw the Scourge... only she looked a bit naked.


On this morning, my ignorant self learned that tires and wheels are two separate things. Before my crash course in Auto Mechanics, I totally thought that wheels and tires were synonyms.

You know, that they meant the exact same thing.

But when the cops arrived... and the insurance adjuster came out... and when I spoke with the Out-Of-Town Husband... I learned that wheels and tires aren't synonyms. Their definitions are separated by - oh, I don't know - a little over $500. Because tires? On the Scourge? They only cost about $225 apiece. Wheels, however, costs a little over $700... each.

I'm sure other differences exist, but my brain continues to stick on the dollar signs. And really, is there anything more significant than expense in the field of auto mechanics? I totally wish you could have heard my phone conversation with the tow truck driver, too.

TOW TRUCK DRIVER
: I'll be out in a little bit.

TONGGU MOMMA
: Umm... okay. But how are you going to tow the car?

TOW TRUCK DRIVER: I'll just tow it.

TONGGU MOMMA: But I just told you that I don't have any tires.

TOW TRUCK DRIVER: Oh, it's fine. I'll just rotate the good ones to the back and we'll be fine.

TONGGU MOMMA: No... you don't understand. I don't have ANY tires. All four of them are gone.

TOW TRUCK DRIVER: All FOUR of them?

TONGGU MOMMA: Yes.

TOW TRUCK DRIVER: Oh... umm...

Now, you may be wondering how I met Yankee on that fateful day. Well truly, y'all, I believe I met every single neighbor on the block that morning. All 48 families. It was Quite The Spectacle. But still, Yankee and I formed a special relationship. Why, you might ask?


Yankee, I believe this is was the beginning of a beautiful friendship...

For more flashback moments that DON'T belong in the scrapbook, visit Sincerely Fro Me to You at We Are THAT Family.

28 comments:

Cheri-Beri said...

That's hilarious. Nice of the crooks to prop it up on the brick. Some criminals are so sweet.

Marivic_Little GrumpyAngel said...

Well, the blessing is that this unfortunate robbery lead to a great friendship. But being robbed! That seems like an awful experience. Yet you manage to find the humor in it.

Krista ~ Bits and pieces said...

You did it again~ made me laugh first thing this morning.

Some of my best friendships have started out in strange ways. Perhaps not 'this' strange but strange just the same and I cherish them and how they can to be a part of my life!!!

You are on of those friendships~ strange indeed!

Aunt LoLo said...

Way to steal my line!

Oh my goodness...what a thing to wake up to. If you're in a nice neighborhood...what am I doing to tell little bro?! ;-)

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Now that is funny....what a way to start your day....were you in utter shock when you opened the door?

I still want to know how the tow truck driver got the car out of your driveway!

It is funny how we meet some of our friends....this is a story I am sure neither of you will ever forget!

Carolina Mama said...

Unbelieveale! It is nice you can chuckle about it now.

McEwens said...

HOLY COW!! I hope you eventually caught the tire/wheel stealer!! Glad good friends become of it!

Briana's Mom said...

Oh good gracious. I have never seen anything like that in my life. They actually stole your wheels. That is crazy and hilarious at the same time!

Jerralea said...

Don't feel bad, I didn't know at first that tires and rims were separate items, either. I learned the hard way - but not as hard as yours! At least you got a friend out of the deal!

Crayl said...

How terrible that it happened, but how wonderful you made good friends!

Valarie said...

What a way to start a morning! Nice of the theives to set up your future friendship for you though. :)

TJ said...

What a crazy start to your day! I can't believe that happened in a neighborhood, and no one saw!

TJ said...

I had to come back by after reading your comment to me. Wow, so Tonggu Daddy is pretty much a local. Ok, I'm in Yakima, but it's pretty close. :)

We are THAT Family said...

Oh, my!

So glad you can laugh now!

Heather of the EO said...

You are such a great story-teller. I just love it.

prechrswife said...

Oh, boy! At least you got a good friendship out of the whole experience.

prechrswife said...

For the record, the delete was me--double post! Oops...

Kelly & Sindy said...

OMG, WHAT AN AMAZING STORY! I'M
SORRY THAT THIS HAPPENED TO YOU
" YOU NEVER KNOW WHERE YOU'LL
MEET A FRIEND"

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!

SINDY

Amy-littletoesandcheerios said...

A day you and Yankee will never forget, that's for sure!
Great story.

Janet said...

Oh dear. That wasn't very nice of them, to steal your tires. They could have stolen something that didn't matter like....your hubby's power tools or something....

PIPO said...

Lawdy - I have to say that is somewhat amazing to me. How diligent of the wheel weasels.

D... said...

I learned something new today, I, too, have always thought wheels & tires are synonyms. Huh.

I got a giggle about the names of your friends & their children. :D

Sharie said...

OMG! I would have FREAKED!! But, I am a car person and do know the difference between tires and rims...as we "car folk" like to call them.

By the way I had to read a lot of posts to finish this one.

The Scourge was a beauty, I always wanted a BMW, now I'm dreaming of a Prius.

You are a smart mommy to keep the other dogs hidden. At one time Amelia had 13 blankets, but now she has only 1 that makes her happy...it's miserable while it's in the washer. It's not replaceable either. My mom got it at a garage sale and it has some other kids initials on it:)

Finally, your family story of Edinburgh is WONDERFUL!

Tonggu Momma Husband said...

OK JANET ....
Don't be talking about my power tools that way!

:-)

Suzy said...

That makes me feel like cussing. Not ONLY did they steal your wheels (and your tires) leaving you without "wheels" to get around, but it resulted in a sleep disturbance (a heinous felony in my book). Of course you needed rest, you were a teacher!!! Heck, I'd need to hibernate to sleep off the stress of teaching.Thank goodness you didn't have to get up and get to work, that sort of added stress is the sort of thing that makes some people homicidal...Glad you handled it so well!

happygeek said...

All I could think of was that song
"They wanna see our Fairlane up on blocks"
Soo funny.

Tammy said...

Ha ha ha.....the Lord works in mysterious ways for folks to meet!

CC said...

Wow! I wonder how long until that happens to me here. Seems pretty inevitable on my block...