About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Delayed Gratification

Two Sundays ago, during my quest to keep the Tongginator entertained while her daddy was away, I gave in and took my little girl to the mall. Not only did we go to the mall, I also promised I'd purchase something for her... something extra-special she's been wanting for several weeks.

She almost drooled, she felt so excited. She spent the entire car ride describing the many details of her soon-to-be treasured object. She couldn't wait to pick it out. And I started to feel a little bad about myself as a momma. Because - I mean really! - the Tongginator sounded slightly desperate and so completely grateful and... well... I promised I'd buy her a headband.

A HEADBAND, y'all.

(This is sad, isn't it? That a headband is a Big Deal to the Tongginator. Not because headbands aren't cool, but because I am so completely pathetic, I hardly ever take the poor girl shopping.)

We She picked out a headband. It took 10 agonizingly long minutes. I couldn't believe she put that much thought into it, but I bit my tongue because it was my fault she'd obsessed about it for so long. Would it really have killed me to take her shopping for a $4 headband when she first asked for it over three weeks ago?

I feel ashamed.

But the Tongginator feels like a Princess.

So much so, as we left the store (which happens to sit right next to a typically crowded Starbucks), the Tongginator decided to share this joyous, momentous occasion. She screamed, "EVERYBODY STOP!"

And she screamed it loudly, y'all.

(She gets it from Tonggu Grammy, I think.)

Several people actually did stop, turn and stare at us. Most glanced over with raised eyebrows, then went about their business. The Tongginator did not allow that to squelch her enthusiasm at all. She beamed and twirled for her tiny audience in the mall, then proclaimed loudly, "Don't I look beautiful now? I have a PRINCESS HEADBAND!!!"

People smiled and appropriately oohed and aahed. The Tongginator felt sufficiently appeased. I'm just stunned she didn't curtsy right then and there. Perhaps she was too busy watching me duck and cover.

36 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh! I am so jealous of the Tongginator's confidence in claiming and owning her beauty, man!!!! I bet she DID look like a princess. Good job, TM. Good for you, enduring all that shopping to make your girl feel so royal.

McEwens said...

I LOVE THAT!!! Everyone STOP! LOOK at me! TM, you have done an awesome job! We need more girls to be like her -self assured!

McEwens said...

Maybe I need to go buy a head band!

Oh and the O in home is short.. not long O sound, it is a MD thing... That say Baltimore. Did you say it like there was a D in there? BalDmore? that is a MD thing too... sometimes people add the D to water, and make it sound like WER D ER...

K and/or K said...

America's Next Top Model look out!

Michelle said...

Oh, that is a cute story! I was scrolling down to see a picture of this headband....where is it? lol!

Isn't it great when they are so young and such little things make them that happy? So NOT the case with teens!!!

Chris and Deb said...

What a cute story.....love it!!

Polar Bear said...

Ohhh... if only we could all be so happy with the little things!! What a great story!!

CC said...

Yep, she is definitively a future presidential candidate! Or royalty bound. My kids get sooooo excited about getting something from the dollar section of Target ;)

Monica said...

Hah! She was just getting even with you for making her languish so long yearning for that much needed headband!!!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

What a cutie! I just want to hug her!
And I think you're a Perfect Mom! Delaying gratification is a skill we all need to learn!

Janet said...

Oh my! I think that's hilarious, and if I had been in that mall, I would DEFINITELY have oohed and ahhed. How sweet!

I happen to think it's great that a headband makes her excited. Nowadays, not many kids would be happy with that. (Mine included.) They're just too spoiled.

Patricia/NYC said...

Fabulous story, TM!! And I can't help but wonder...are WE related?? Are Tongginator & Kiara related??

T's longed-for headband is Kiara's 50cent ride on the Donald Duck outside of the pizzaria...lol!

Aunt LoLo said...

Hehehe....I'm thinking Shy is not one of the words that would describe Miss Tongginator! That's a FABULOUS story.

The Source said...

Well, naturally a girl in a brand new PRINCESS HEADBAND needs the attention and adoration of her public, mom. Too cute! My twins get all thrilled over an actual Happy Meal and not just a hamburger. You know, the .30 toy is such a huge deal.

Beverly said...

Oh that is great!! She is def not shy!

Misty said...

a sweet story w/ spiritual implications, no? i hope you got some starbucks out of it as well! :)

Heather of the EO said...

I just LOVE her. Can she marry Miles?

Just an idea...

Shawnstribe said...

Oh yeah!!!!!
this girl has got style!!!!!
can we have a picture of the tongginator with her new headband : )
xxx
s

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

The Tongginator has a voice and it must be heard!!

I keep telling you, she is a leader in the making!

OziMum said...

My son said his birthday was the best day of his life... but I had to persuade him with 2 DS games, 2 Playstation games and a really big box of Star Wars leg0... Little T is definitely easy pleased!!!

Kim said...

How cute that she wanted to announce her headband to the world.

I think the fact that she did have to wait a few weeks was a good thing. She appreciated it more and she knows that she is not going to instantly get something just because she wants it. That's is good momma skills right there... not bad.

Briana's Mom said...

Yep, Project Runway. ;)

She is so hilarious!

Queen B said...

Love her.

I think the waiting just made it that much sweeter!!!

happygeek said...

What a card.
But really, who wouldn't want to show off their headbands?

mommy24treasures said...

awww, I can understand the guilt/ What a sweet story.

Amie@HeartSmiles said...

OH that is soooooo sweet. LOVE her confidence. Wish I had half of hers at that age...


:)
AMie

Peanut said...

I'm with everyone on the picture... can we please have one?
I can totally see my daughter doing this!
I think it's great when kids aren't just handed everything they want... then a $4 headband actually does make them feel like a princess!
My daughter is right now delightedly prancing around in $2 shoes and thinks I'm the most amazing mommy for buying them for her. I'm going to ride this one for as long as I can!

kia (good enough mama) said...

I'm with the first commenter, Lisa! Your girl has got enviable confidence. This is awesome! :) I think it's wonderful that she was so excited to get to pick a headband. She could teach my spoiled brat a thing or two....

Carla said...

LOL - I can so totally see you looking desperately for something to hide behind too!

I think, though, that making her wait was good. You didn't know if it was going to be a passing thing, and to get it one day and have it be tossed under the bed the next. This way you KNOW she'll wear it at least a week.

prechrswife said...

That is SO something Mary Joyce would do! Priceless, but I would be ducking for cover, too.

Jamie said...

Hehe, how cute. The Tongginator is very much a "Hello World, here I am!" type, isn't she? :)

Sharie said...

Amelia has MANY headbands which have been tossed aside because her glasses and the headbands don't cooperate. Had I known you were an abusive mother I'd have put them in a box and sent them to the Tongginator especially for a reaction like that!:)

Actually when you started to write I thought for sure she was getting a Webkinz or a Build A Bear - oh if a headband could bring Amelia that much joy.

Dawn said...

You've done a terrific job - let's hope a headband (or a similarly priced object) will thrill her that much when she's a teen!

Blessings!

Jennifer said...

Love it! I love her confidence. I bet she looks beautiful!

Jen

The Byrd's Nest said...

I LOVE it!!! AND I pray she always stays that way....I have a daughter with completely low self esteem and this is an awesome attitude for her to have! Love, love, love it!

All Rileyed Up said...

That is soooo cute! One time, I took my daughter to the restroom at a restaurant. When she was done, she ran back to our table, which was in the outdoor seating area, but stopped at the entrance and annouced to the whole seating area, "I went pee pee!" There were some chuckles, but there was one dude with a shaved head and tattoos on his arms - he gave her a thumbs up and said, "Good job!" Ah, life. You silly thing, you.