About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Saturday, October 18, 2008

A Day in the Life of TM

Two weeks ago, when I told Shanny I would participate in her Fall 2008 edition of Photo Bloggy Days, I didn't realize that the day in question would be such a non-typical Day in the Life of Tonggu Momma. First off, I went shopping. THAT in and of itself involves a bit of a miracle. More importantly, however, I said goodbye to my dear friend Rosie this weekend.

Yeah. Not fun.

But taking photos every hour or so definitely occupied my mind for the better part of Friday. So - without further adieu - a Day in the Life of Tonggu Momma...


7:00 AM The Tongginator woke me up... oh... about thirty minutes before I shot this photo. Because she is an obnoxious little booger such a morning person. If the photo appears a bit shaky, it's probably because I had yet to drink my first of many cups of coffee. Oh, and because I'm not that great of a photographer. The Tongginator, however, recently became quite an adept puzzler, as evidenced by her mastery of this United States puzzle. I'm thinking geography scholarship. (Do colleges offer those?)


8:00 AM This is the burnt beautiful Toast Egg I made for the Tongginator's breakfast. Some of you might call it Egg-in-the-Hole or Egg-in-the-Basket or Toad-in-the-Hole or Bird's Nest or some other incredibly wacky name. But you are wrong. This is and always will be a Toast Egg. Because it consists of toast and eggs rather than amphibians, dirt, sticks or basket reeds.


9:00 AM The Tongginator doesn't even turn around to wave goodbye to me anymore during preschool drop-off. She regularly tells me, en-route to school, "Momma, hurry up! My teacher NEEDS me!"


10:00 AM Y 'all... I actually went shopping. And the earth didn't tremble nor did the waters rise. Yes, it takes a Dire Emergency to force me to actually shop for clothes. The When Pigs Fly event involved my refusal to wear capris, jeans or yoga pants to Rosie's wake and funeral. Because - call me crazy - but somehow I didn't think that would be respectful. Therefore, I ventured forth to torture myself shop at the local mall, purchasing slacks and a dress, plus two sweaters and a top.


11:00 AM Heading back to the Tongginator's school from the local mall... yes, I am all about traffic safety, as evidenced by this particular photo. Just for the record, no persons, animals nor automobiles were harmed during the shoot, despite all attempts to inflict serious harm.


12:00 PM Chatting with a few neighbors about the week's tragic events. Yeah. It wasn't a very joyous conversation, but I did find it comforting.

1:00 PM Bless her heart, the Tongginator is exhausted as she finishes her lunch, all because her Evil Momma can't stop talking to the neighbors. The Tongginator ate lunch an hour later than usual, hence the "I'm so tired and you are a terrible momma for not letting me take a nap" eye rub.

2:00 PM Laundry... now why-oh-why do I suddenly find this tedious chore So Absolutely Essential?


3:00 PM Saving a memory from the local newspaper for Rosie's husband Ring and her twins Pocket and Posies.

4:00 PM The Tongginator spends the better part of 30 minutes "crashing" on me. This typically involves me donning protective armor (the plaid pillow) and her running across the room at full speed before jumping on me. Usually the Tongginator crashes with her daddy. Have I mentioned before how much I dislike it when the husband travels?

5:00 PM The Tongginator, while eager to play with her cousin M&M, definitely gives me the cold shoulder because I was leaving her with her Aunt KitKat for the evening.


6:00 PM Where I spent the better part of my Friday evening, saying goodbye to my friend Rosie.


8:00 PM Evidence that the so-called homemade Spiced Pecan Pumpkin Bread I made for Saturday's funeral reception actually came from my friends at W~S. Long live prepackaged baking goods!


9:00 PM I distracted myself reading a few blogs before finally falling into bed at 11:00, exhausted, but struggling to sleep. This cute little munchkin is Sophie of Sophie's World. Sophie just happens to be another Tongginator.

23 comments:

Beachy Mimi said...

Loved all your photos. If I ever DO get to play with the Tongginator, I promise it won't be "crash". You are a brave TM. I hope you have a better week.

Sharie said...

I've been thinking constantly about your family and Rosie's. I hope you have found time to carve out a little alone time for yourself to reflect as well.

Sharie

missy said...

I've missed a couple of posts and wanted to check in on you. I am so sorry to hear that Rosie is gone. I pray for her family as I know the heartache of a child losing a parent... Paige is sad a lot. It will be life changing for this family, but God's love is unending. HE gives us the strength we need to go on.

I pray for you. I know you are hurting so much. We are all here for you. You are such a good friend and I know you are making Rosie smile from the Heavens today.

missy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peanut said...

I enjoyed this photo-story of a day in your life. Your picture-taking is so creative!
These are hard days for you. I'm sorry about that and sorry you're going through it all without your hubby by your side. You made me realize that our friend Con has been gone nearly two months already... it's so hard to believe.
I don't know what to say to encourage you. My friend told me to trust the grieving process and that helped me to allow myself to grieve freely in whatever manner I needed and to give myself some grace. I'm still surprised by the grief at times, but less and less often.
Thinking of you.

Shawnstribe said...

TM, that was one brave day.
Parting with friends is sooo painful.
I'm not good with words on this subject,just ((hugs))
i loved to see how your day went, hank you for sharing
xxx
s

Michelle said...

What a fun idea....blogging your entire day! I will tell you that I very strongly dislike shopping, also!! I work for retail...so that may have something to do with it. It is the LAST thing I want to be doing on my days off. lol!

Have a wonderful Sunday!!!!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

I have always said, I would love to be a fly on the wall in your house, now I won't need to do that!

So glad you are making your laundry a priority!! Wouldn't want THAT to happen again!

I know this has been an extremely tough week for you....
You and the family have been on my mind for days!

Try to enjoy your Sunday!

Lisa

Michelle said...

I have thought about you and Rosie's family a lot this weekend. I am lifting all of you up in prayer, TM.

Thanks for sharing with us your day in the life. I enjoyed following along.

Heather of the EO said...

You're keeping your humor I see.

The pants and shoes look HOT. Even if you had to torture yourself to get them. I too HATE shopping. Are we weird?

Still praying peace your way, lady.

Briana's Mom said...

Perfect play by play of the day. Love all the pics.

planetnomad said...

What a great post, a perfect balance of your grief at losing your friend and yet the need to carry on and care for the living. And I really like your pants and shoes too--the bit I can see of them ;)

Suzy said...

You did a great job of capturing your day. I struggle with limiting myself to ONE picture of each event. Lydia and I had a mostly restful, easy day for Friday. The trip to my MIL's assisted living was because my DH was wigging out that she wasn't answering her phone. Sheesh, Honey, they check on her every single hour of the day. Still, it's good he loves her & looks out for her. I know he'd do the same for me.

McEwens said...

hey TM... even though we know where Rosie is, we still grieve their presence in our life. She was and is your dear friend...

2nd I hope you DO know how smart your daughter is. The puzzle has no borders, no cheats per say. My middle son was about her age when he would do that puzzle. Lets just say college scholarhip. and she prob wont need to go to all grades

discombobulated said...

What a long and exhausting weekend. It's so hard to grieve and be expected to continue on with daily activities as though nothing has happened.
Hope things get better.

Shannon said...

Thanks so much for playing along. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend Rosie. Sending you hugs.

happygeek said...

I no longer think we can be coffee friends. Don't be dissin the shopping:)
Sounds like a rather somber day, but I am glad you documented it anyway.
Those shoes are CUTE!

Chris and Deb said...

Hey TM....I was just reading along, scrolling down....and wait a minute....that looks like Sophie....OMG it is! I am so sorry to hear abut Rosie! So, so sad!

CC said...

Although it was a very sad day, I liked seeing what it was like. I'm a little shocked at the photo while driving pic though!

Beverly said...

What a busy/sad day!

Georgia Peach said...

Love the photo of the Tongginator with milk and doggie. Made me wish I was sitting at your kitchen table waiting for the coffee to finish percolating.

Aunt LoLo said...

A day in the life of...you! How exciting. :-)

Oh, and everyone knows...that breakfast is called a One Eyed Pirate!

prechrswife said...

I especially love the picture while driving on the interstate. :-)