About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Sunday, September 28, 2008

We Are THAT Family

I don't have a psychologist. I've only known my doctor for about five years and he talks more than I do, so it's not like I can even get a word in edgewise, much less confide in him about any problems or concerns. As for my minister and his wife? We just met them this summer. And my Mandarin-speaking pastor is still wrapping his brain around our family's attendance at Chinese church. My friends are all very kind. Or afraid of me.

I can't decide.

My family isn't much help about this topic either. I mean, my sister has four home-schooled children and a bulldog. She's too busy to think, much less talk. My daddy grew up in a family with six brothers and one sister, bless her heart. And my momma... well... we'll get to my momma.

It took my hairdresser to let slip the truth.

Dear Amy, the one to whom I confess all of my family's secrets, the one to whom I rattle on and on and on because I'm bored senseless in the salon... dear Amy, my stylist. Amy first told me that we - those residing in Tonggu House - the Husband, the Tongginator and I - we are THAT family.

Sniff. Sniff.

As naive as this sounds, I didn't realize it until that moment. There ARE only three of us. But, alas, the eye of the hurricane doesn't always realize that it's the center of a tempest. When you are in the midst of chaos, stripping your four-and-a-half year old out of a long-sleeved dress so that you can shove her into a short-sleeved dress because the day looked much colder through the window than it actually WAS... well... that doesn't seem so bad.

(Oh, did I mention that we were standing on the front porch?)

(Or that two neighbors walked past when I did that?)

(Or that I did that just four days ago, which means stuff like this happens around here all the time?)

I must have omitted forgotten that part.

I do find comfort in knowing that we are among good company. And I assure you that I come by this honestly. Craziness follows my momma around like a shadow. Remember the crickets?

I really don't think I need to explain further.

14 comments:

Stonefox (otherwise known as Heidi) said...

Congratulations on being THAT! I'm afraid to tell you I think you'll fit right in, haha! :)

Marivic_Little GrumpyAngel said...

Well, based on the few posts I've read on your blog so far (I'm a new fan) it sounds to me like it isn't so bad to be THAT family.

Michelle said...

I, for one, am so glad you are THAT family because it makes for pretty good blogging. And for the record, I laugh WITH you, not AT you. :-)

ps. I had never read the wedgie incident before. Hilarious!!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Yes, I could not imgaine your life or your blog if you were not THAT family!!!

And for the record, you are not alone!!

Happy Sunday!

Lisa

Kathryn said...

I knew there was a reason I liked you so much, we are "That" family too!!!! It all started when we moved on this block 6 years ago. There first clue was this man who resembles Elvis Presly wearing a tuxedo going in and out of the house at all hours of the day and night. It's much more interesting being "that" family, don't you think?

Sharie said...

Oh at least you were on the porch. I've been known to just let my child run naked (panties on of course) through the backyard. I figure get it out of her system now, before she goes to college:)

Yeah, we're THAT family.

planetnomad said...

I clicked over and read your interview there and then I just read the post about HRH on the plane, and I'm still chuckling. I have to say that Tongginator is kindred spirits with my oldest, Elliot, and that I have a couple of airplane stories myself!

Briana's Mom said...

Hey - if you weren't THAT family, I wouldn't be here enjoying your blog everyday!

I have a feeling we are becoming THAT family too.

Lisa and Tate said...

THAT family is what I aspire to..... Do you have an instruction book I can follow??

Lisa

Heather of the EO said...

Oh you mean THAT family as in fun and creative and busy and happy and inspiring? Oh okay. Yes, you are THAT family :)

McEwens said...

What!!!!!!! you had to the hairdresser to hear that you were THAT family! Girlfriend I could have told you THAT!

You are THAT family that makes us all laugh!

You are THAT family that talks about great science things and proper shoes!

You are THAT family we all want to be friends with!

PIPO said...

Nope...no explanation needed. After all, I am going to be 'that' mama ;0)

Aunt LoLo said...

Hehehehe...I see nothing wrong with a quick wardrobe change!

lisa said...

Hah-we were at a group camp all weekend, and we managed to snag the parking spot right next to the lodge steps. It was way too far to go back to the tent, as I realized it was getting too warm for the long sleeved dress I put on my daughter we were at 9000 feet, so the temp really does change ; ). Of course, as soon as I pulled the dress off, she took off running up the steps. By the time I caught up with her and pulled the other dress over her head, we were on the wraparound porch where everyone was eating breakfast. Sigh. ~lmc