About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Saturday, September 13, 2008

One: A Princess Number

The Tongginator and I both attended our Mandarin classes today after a long summer break. Many Chinese-Americans share Absolute Horror Stories about their childhood Chinese School experiences, but we love our low-key, laid-back, go at your own pace school. ShanghaiSweetie, the Tongginator's teacher, works very hard to make the class fun for everyone. She teaches them Chinese games and songs, cooks with them and shares visuals during their vocabulary-building sessions.

Of course this means that I love ShanghaiSweetie.

But I ABSOLUTELY ADORE her because she gets my daughter. And she gets that I get my daughter. When class let out this afternoon, all of the Tongginator's classmates filed out of the room in a mostly orderly manner. I waited... and I waited... and I waited before finally peeking my head in the door. The Tongginator stood in the center of the room, spinning in circles, chattering like a magpie to ShanghaiSweetie, one of her Absolute Favorite People.

ShanghaiSweetie smiled at me and asked the Tongginator to gather up the papers scattered in a far corner of the room. The Tongginator happily complied, eager to please her teacher. With the Tongginator successfully distracted, ShanghaiSweetie sidled up to me and whispered.

SHANGHAISWEETIE: She's trying to make friends with me again. I had to reprimand her earlier.

TONGGU MOMMA: What did she do?

SHANGHAISWEETIE: We were singing a few of our songs. The Tongginator became extremely upset with me when I wouldn't allow her to do something. She threw a bit of a temper tantrum, so I placed her in time-out.

TONGGU MOMMA: Thank you. I'm so glad you did that. What was it that she wanted to do?

SHANGHAISWEETIE: Well, we were all singing "zhâo hâo péng yôu" and she wanted to sing a solo.

My daughter, the Princess.

13 comments:

Briana's Mom said...

She is definitely not a chorus girl! She wants to be a star!!

Sharie said...

Love it! Amelia did a similar thing at gymnastics this morning. She's having a tough time adjusting to the large number of kids in her class now (from 4 to 15). She refused to stand next to the kids, so the teacher let her stand next to her...I can't wait until next week when Amelia thinks her spot is still in the front of the class.

LindaJ said...

Nothing wrong with wanting to be the star. I love it!!!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Can't blame a girl for trying......something tells me she will be the life of the party and will definitely stand out from the crowd.....no solo necessary...I love it!

Have a nice weekend!

Lisa

Michelle said...

When she tried to sing a solo, did she shake her little booty and slap the ground? (as in neighborhood booty call video?) Whether she did or she didn't, that is the cute little picture I have in my mind.

Glad you have a class and a teacher you enjoy so much.

Heather of the EO said...

Adorable. I love it. She's got spunk, confidence, and self-assurance. She'll change the world! :)

Misty said...

sooo cute! guess what? i know that song!! well, i did back in the day. and by back in the day i clearly mean when i was in collge. :) i was on a mission trip to china and that's one of the songs we learned while there. i bet she sings it much better than i do! i am *NOT* a solo girl!

kia (good enough mama) said...

Love it! Yours is the princess. I think I have her prince here at my house.

CC said...

Oh boy (or girl!). Definitely royalty.

I love your Chinese class already! My husband HATED Chinese school and vowed we would never make our children endure it as he did for ten long years.

To answer your unasked question. No, he doesn't remember any Chinese.

Mechelle said...

She has such confidence. I love that she believes in herself and acts upon this belief! m

Janet said...

LOL! That girl has DIVA written all over her! Tee hee. Have fun, Mom....:-)

alece said...

that's hilarious. she's a little diva, isn't she?!

happygeek said...

Too funny.