About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Search

Loading...

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Monday, September 15, 2008

Hadron Super Collider

After dinner one evening last week, while the Tongginator munched on an Oreo cookie and the Husband read the paper at the kitchen table...

TONGGINATOR: Daddy, will you read to me?

TONGGU DADDY: Sure, honey.

The Husband, Enginerd Extraordinaire, began reading aloud an article about the Hadron super collider, the world's largest particle accelerator. I'm positive the article flew right over our little Tongginator's head, if only because the bulk of the story flew over MY head. Now, I'm not saying that I have a higher IQ than the Tongginator, but I at least have three decades and a wealth of experience on her.

As the Husband droned in the background, the Tongginator stared at the large photo of the Hadron super collider, the world's largest particle accelerator.

(Isn't that a fun phrase to say? Even if you have No Idea What It Means. I'm going to say it at least one more time before I finish this post. Perhaps more. I'm just saying.)

TONGGINATOR: (interrupting the read aloud and sporting a wrinkled brow) Daddy, one day, when I'm bigger, can I build that with you?

TONGGU DADDY: Well, doodlebug, Daddy doesn't know how to build [a Hadron super collider, the world's largest particle accelerator]. But one day, when you are a lot older and if you work really hard in school, one day you can build one of these with other people.

TONGGINATOR: (visibly relieved and possibly even excited) Okay, Daddy.

Pleased that he answered her question so effectively, in a manner in which most feminists would highly approve, the Husband continued reading aloud the article [about the Hadron super collider, the world's largest particle accelerator].

TONGGINATOR: (interrupting her Daddy yet again, this time with a face completely wrinkled in worry) But Daddy?

TONGGU DADDY: Yes, Tongginator?

TONGGINATOR: Daddy, what type of shoes should I wear when I build that? Can I wear my pink flipflop Princess shoes? With bows on them?

Y'all... the Husband had no words. And I - I truly have no words either. No words at all. Actually, that's not correct. I do have one more thing to say: Hadron super collider, the world's largest particle accelerator.

28 comments:

Kiy said...

Oh, too darned cute. And I have a truly cute geek too. A science/chemistry one, but still. We have yet another think in common!

Cheers, Kiy

Kathryn said...

You are tooooo funny, I love your sense of humor!!! I think the world could use an engineer donning pink flipflop princess shoes working on a particle accelerator!!

The Source said...

A girl can be a super-collider-particle-scientist-physicist but she's still a girl! And that's just as it should be. I always think better when my feet are comfy and stylish! I can just imagine the look on your husband's face....priceless!

Scrappy Girl said...

Thinking like a little woman...shoes are VERY important when building a Super Thingy...

Briana's Mom said...

Why am I thinking that the Tongginator will be on "Fashion Runway" one day verses being an engineer? ;)

Aunt LoLo said...

And what, pray tell, do the feminists have to say about THAT? Maybe the feminists are all crazy, and girls just like pretty shoes sometimes...and they like, especially, to wear them while building Hadron thingamajiggies. ;-)

McEwens said...

That is JUST too cute!!! What shoes! There are inportant things in life now!!!

Peanut said...

So important to know what shoes will go with a particle accelerator... I mean, she wouldn't want to clash with it. Just like a little girl to think through the important details.
I can imagine a conversation like this happening at my house too... except it would be about synaptic integration and plasticity... and pink flip-flops. My man's a neuroscientist geek.

Michelle said...

Oh yes, Tongginator...it is ALL about the shoes!!!!! Especially the pink ones! : )

Krista ~ Bits and pieces said...

I believe that she has choosen the PERFECT pair of shoes for the job~ you go miss T.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Gotta love a girl who thinks about her shoes....it is all about fashion!

Lisa

Misty said...

LOL!

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

I swear you crack me up... that was funny... why... of course the Tongginator can build a Hadron super collider, the world's largest particle accelerator... she can wear Pink steal toed boots... with Princess pictures on the side and the huge flower on the toe of the boot... she is woman and hear her roar...
So great that she wants to do with her dad... clear to see she is a Daddy's girl... take care

Heather of the EO said...

She is SO well-rounded. All girly girl, guts and dreams. She rocks! I love it.
I love your input today on my blog. It was exactly what I was looking for - thank you! :)

Shawnstribe said...

hee hee i LOVE it!!!!!!
i cant even say that myself...but then i am foreign ; )
xxx
s

Suzie said...

If you can't wear pink flipflop Princess shoes with bows on them, it ain't worth it! Gotta love a girl whose first thought is her shoes :o)

Sharie said...

I think the Tongginator and Amelia are soul sisters. Amelia loves to build things, but what does she love even more? SHOES.

Tonggu Grammy said...

That's my girl! If she gets to the point where she can build a Hadron super collider, particle accelerator, then she should be able to wear whatever she wants. How exciting that she hasn't let her mother's shoe woes limit her own choices in shoe wear. And her pink princess shoes are really outstanding!

Michelle said...

Ha! So funny.

Janet said...

That is SO Tongginator! So much for feminism....LOL!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Hilarious! And I think she should! She should grow up and build one, all the while wearing her pink flipflop Princess shoes! The world needs more girly particle accelerator builders!

Beachy Mimi said...

A girl after my own heart. Pink Princess flipflop shoes with bows. I love it.

CC said...

hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!! This was already a great post BEFORE the shoes comment! That was just the icing on the cake! ;) And I think our hubbies would REALLY like hanging out.

Georgia Peach said...

Hadron super collider, the world's largest particle accelerator...aka the dooms day machine. It's theoretically capable of creating and sustaining micro black holes which can explode and spontaneously fold my laundry. I'm all for it!

gritandglory.com said...

hilarious!

did your hubs eventually say something in reply??

Laura L. said...

Oh my heavens, this is a funny post. Gotta love a girl who is concerned about what shoes to wear.

Boy, Tonggu Daddy would certainly have a lot to talk about with our Daddy. I actually heard him having a conversation with our SIL about the Hadron super collider, the world's largest particle accelerator. I'd never even heard of the thing!

The post on The Missing V and binary numbers - oh, our daddy would probably have done the same thing. Too funny!

Tonggu Momma Husband said...

I said in reply something to the effect of ... " ... doodle bug, if you're smart enough to build a next generation super colider, you can wear whatever shoes you want to wear!"

Georgia Peach said...

Interesting News!!! Wired Magazine is hosting a renaming contest for the Hadron Collider. Here's the link....

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/09/large-hadron-co.html