About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Friday, September 19, 2008

The Cricket Caper

Sigh.

I believe I introduced y'all to my momma, Tonggu Grammy, during her days of dumpster diving. Well, I have a new story to share with you about her continued, desperate search for all creatures buggy. And it's not much better.

I only wish I took pictures of her humiliation saw it happen.

Yesterday Tonggu Grammy celebrated Grandparents Day with the 27 students from her combined classes, plus their assorted grand-parental units. I'd like y'all to take a moment to close your eyes and picture... oh... I don't know... about 75 to 100 people crammed into my momma's little classroom and overflowing into the hallway. Now imagine a little four-year-old voice piping up to be heard above the commotion, saying, "Umm... Mrs. Tonggu Grammy... there's a cricket over here."

Now imagine Tonggu Grammy first freezing in fear, then slowly allowing the tension to ease out of her body as she remembered that the 50 (yes, I said 50) crickets newly purchased from the pet store resided snugly inside their Cricket Cage... at least, until such time as they became Cricket Food for her beloved praying mantis.

Now imagine said child following up her initial comment with, "Umm... I see another one over there." Then more voices joining in the roar, this time of the grandparent variety.

Yes, y'all, it appears that one of the children expressed much fascination with the newly arrived Cricket Cage... so much fascination, it seems, that the child decided to explore said Cricket Cage more thoroughly. This child, who speaks little English, sheepishly confessed to The Cricket Cage Crime by pointing to a corner behind my momma's desk, saying, "Mira! Mira!"

My momma rounded the corner. She stopped dead. And she stared.

The lid no longer rested on the Cricket Cage. Many of the crickets, sensing their imminent Death By Praying Mantis, chose to attempt an Escape of Epic Proportions. As the squeals from grandparents and children alike escalated amid her growing sense of doom, Tonggu Grammy barked, "Everyone freeze!!! Drop what you are doing and GET THEM!!!!"

Chaos ensued.

Tonggu Grammy managed to personally capture five of the Cricket Convicts. A grandfather caught several more. The children gleefully romped around the room, unable to achieve much success, but having the time of their lives. Tonggu Grammy believes that the class managed to round up all of the Escaped Cricket Convicts, but admits it is difficult to complete an accurate Roll Call amid such circumstances.

And so ends the Chaotic Cricket Caper.

Happy Grandparent's Day!

(Don't y'all wish you had been there?)

30 comments:

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

That is a riot!!! Maybe next year you should suggest the Tongginator goes for Grandparents Day so you don't miss out on all the fun!

Tonggu Grammy said...

OK, so it could have been worse. My little non-English speaker could have released the 2 different praying mantises, 1 wolf spider, 1 yellow garden spider, 2 bess bugs and the madagascar hissing cockroach that were all on the discovery table. If that giant cockroach had gotten out and started hissing at everyone, given my guest list, I would have been blessed to avoid heart attacks in the room! Thankfully, this is my last year of teaching and I will never have to face the humiliation of seeing these grandparents again as they return year after year to our Pre-K through 8th grade school.
I am quite certain they will remember this as The Year of the Crickets!

Briana's Mom said...

LOL!!!! That is so hilarious! Reminds me of the great frog release in the movie "ET".

Krista ~ Bits and pieces said...

That is brilliantly funny!!!! I think I would LOVE tonggu granny if we met!!!

Have a beautiful weekend,

Krista

Georgia Peach said...

Love the line:
CRICKETS ATTEMPT ESCAPE OF EPIC PROPORTIONS!

Tonggu Grammy, wow! Squealing preschoolers & fifty highly excitable insects being chased around a crowded room ...now that's a story!

McEwens said...

Thats funny!! I can just picture the packed room and the freed crickets! Glad they were able to capture most of them!!

Suzie said...

That is hilarious! Good for Tonguu Grammy for getting everyone involved in the search and rescue!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Now that is a Grandparents Day they will never forget!!!

And I agree with her.....it could have been much worse....if that cockroach got out....I couldn't imagine the hysteria!!

It is funny that you wrote this today...I just thought of TG yesterday...as I got home from work and stepped out of my car....what was staring at me....A praying mantis....whenever I see them, I can't help but remember her dumpster digging in effort to feed them....another story that will never escape my memory!!

Have a good weekend!

Lisa

Rebecca said...

What a story!! I could just picture it! Tonggu Granny sounds like a trip... handling such a horrifying situation with the ease of Jack Hanna!

happygeek said...

Sooo funny.
I can just see the great cricket round-up of 08.

Cheri H said...

Oh my word! I can't stop laughing and I can so totally see it. What a great story!

prechrswife said...

That is hilarious! Although, I have to admit, from a teacher's perspective, I would have been mortified, at least until the chaos was over.

Daniella said...

That had to be hysterical! We have on 2 occasions (you would think we would learn after the first) 6 dozen crickets running around our house. We feed crickets to our bearded dragon and gecko. If the top on the cricket cage is not tight well you know what happens when you go to pick it up... What a mess. Have a good weekend

kia (good enough mama) said...

"Everyone freeze!" I LOVE THIS!!! hahaha

Peanut said...

Yeah, I wish I could have seen that... in a video on my computer from my safe and cricket-free home! You probably missed all my posts about bugs... but I get pretty close to throwing up whenever I see one. And one that I know is there, but I can't see? That's even worse!

Lisa and Tate said...

Laughter of tears here! I could only imagine just how hilarious it was. Good for you Tonggu grammy, wrestler of crickets.

Tonggu Grammy said...

My day just got worse!!!! I entered my classroom this morning to find one of my praying mantises with an egg case. Do you know how many babies are in there? Hundreds!!!! And when they hatch the bigger ones eat the smaller ones and the mommy can eat them all. She is NOT maternal. I did the only thing I could do. I gave the whole insect cage and contents to the son of another teacher. God works in amazing ways. He was at home holding his dead praying mantis when his mom left this morning to attend our professional day. He is now overjoyed to be the beneficiary of my unwanted "blessing". Yes, she knows what is involved and feels that she and her 4 kids can handle it. Each of us has our own gifts and talents from God. Raising baby praying mantises is beyond my capabilities.

Janet said...

That scene belongs in a movie. If I had been there, I would have been laughing so hard I couldn't talk. TOO FUNNY!!!!!

Melissa said...

I just started reading your blog today as a link from We Are That Family. I really enjoyed your writting style and plan to come back again. I think I may have run from the room full of crickets!

Michelle said...

Talk about mass chaos!! I can just picture what her room must have looked like. Too bad there were not video cameras on that one. I love her comments, too. It sounds like it was quite the exciting day for your mom.

Heather of the EO said...

And I thought the scene we had with ONE big spider this morning was really something! It wasn't. NO, it wasn't :)

Kristin said...

oh that is hysterical! As a kindergarten teacher, I can only imagine my class doing the same thing. Whew. Poor Tonggu Grammy!

Beachy Mimi said...

That is just too funny. I personally dislike the sound of crickets chirping, since they usually do it at night when I am trying to sleep.

Stonefox (otherwise known as Heidi) said...

That is too funny! It WOULD have been great to have on video...but I could visualize it very well and found it hilarious!

planetnomad said...

ROFL! I'm having fun visualizing this.
And, ick? Don't like bugs myself. Not even praying mantises. We had them in Mauritania, some surprisingly beautiful, but I still didn't let them in the house.
I do have some cockroaches you could have though.

CC said...

Ha ha ha!! I would have run, FAST, away from that classroom. I hate bugs!

Sharie said...

Oh how I only hope Amelia gets a teacher as wonderful as Tnogo Grammy.
Although, I still have nightmares of crickets...when I lived with my sister in her brand new house (the first built in a former corn field) the builder didn't do a great job of sealing the basement and we had our own cricket infestation - NASTY!

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

The most important thing in this story... your daughter has the most fun Grandma and gathering the most wonderful memories of her for years to come and those other kids had the time of their lives trying to catch Crickets... what could be more fun then that... take care

Cajunchic said...

rofl. I am just picturing it all in my mind and I can not stop laughing.

PIPO said...

Lawdy, lawdy, lawdy and yikes. SO glad I wasn't there or I would have been high-tailing it out of that school asap. (I'm such a wuss when it comes to the buggage.)

It IS funny to visualize though ;0)