About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Search

Loading...

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Case Of The Missing V

First, I just need to say thanks so, so much y'all for sharing your embarrassing moments with Canuck K. (She's a little technologically challenged, so commenting is a bit beyond her capabilities.) And yes, she feels better y'all.

Moving on to the other end of the tech spectrum...

I believe I've mentioned on more than one occasion that the Husband is a bit of a geek an engineer. As y'all have never met the Husband, I'd like to present to you just a small example of said mathematical genius nerdiness.

Behold the Tongginator's Letter Factory game.


We received it as a hand-me-down from the Tongginator's cousins Snickers and 100Grand. Unfortunately, it arrived at our house missing the letter V. This caused much wailing and gnashing of teeth by the Tongginator and her gaggle of friends, since anyone unfortunate enough to require the services of said letter in essence lost her turn, giving the other game participants Unfair Advantage.


Enter the Husband... Mr. Wonderful... Nerd Extraordinaire. The Husband took one look at the letter cards and resolved to fix the problem. Seeing as how a computer reads all of the cards, I could not fathom how the Husband planned to achieve this feat. Oh, ye me of little faith. Behold the newly created V card.


How did the Husband know how to create a readable V card? Y'all aren't ever going to believe me (unless you, too, venture into the realm of tech geekiness). Do you see the little rectangles below the letter V? No? Allow me to assist you by showing you The Bigger Picture:


Do y'all see those nonsensical rectangles now? The Husband informed me that he knew the number and sequencing of the missing V card because, and I quote, "the cards counted from one to 26 in binary."

Binary, y'all.

Well, alright then.


The Case of the Missing V closed amid much cheering and high five-ing. And all because of a little binary action. Binary... Do you think that's anything like coronary? Because that's what I was about to have if I experienced another episode of wailing and teeth gnashing.

Thanks, Husband.

25 comments:

happygeek said...

Geek or not, he will win daddy of the year for solving that problem I'm sure.
At the very least husband of the year for saving you from a coronary!
Geeks rock.

Aunt LoLo said...

Oh. My. Good. Geekiness.

Your hubs is a rock star. And a geek. Who knew the two things could go together!

Michelle said...

I am so impressed with The Husband right now. I mean, you've talked about what an amazing guy he is, but binary is off the charts!! What a wonderful daddy T has!

Third Mom said...

Ya gotta love a guy who can think in binary! Go Daddy!

Reminds of when we lost Massachusetts from a USA puzzle at Grandma's. M and Grandma searched all day, I think they finally found it, but there was much gnashing of teeth until they did.

Love this post.

McEwens said...

ROF!!! You know what is so funny, he sounds JUST LIKE MY HUSBAND!!!!
Glad he could fix it!

The Source said...

Ummm...I totally knew that! I speak Binary. Yeah.

Not. But I'm glad your hubby figured out what to do and fixed the game for Tongginator!

Beachy Mimi said...

Daddy saves the day. Great post.

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

And that is what dads do... they save the day!!!!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

We could use a little help in the "engineering" in this house!

So glad he knew how to count to 26 in Binary!

I was hysterical when you called him a Nerd Extraordinaire!

Briana's Mom said...

Daddy saves the day!

Michelle said...

Binary...I knew that! lol! NOT!

Way to go, Dad!

BTW...I saw you left a comment on Sheri's blog(in China now for Lauren). Her Lauren is from the same SWI as our Sophie.

redmaryjanes said...

Well, I am a geek and I'm married to one. Just took another class on binary and ip addressing..woo hoo tons of fun.
I LOVE that he was able to fix the V!

Rebecca said...

BINARY???

I am a nerd and I don't even know if I can pronounce that one. :)

My hubbs is a tech too. I love geeks! Aren't you glad you are married to one??? Else, how would you have spelled the word "VIVACIOUS!!!"

xoxo
Rebecca

Georgia Peach said...

I thought a binary was a bird with two heads. Crazy! All this time I had it wrong.

That Tonggu husband is wicked smart.

Carla said...

No...he's ENGINERD! ;) Way to go Dad.

Now...you need to hop over to this store:

http://www.thinkgeek.com

for these specific shirts (yes my Enginerd has this one)
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/generic/38db/

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/generic/6c49/

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/frustrations/5aa9/?cpg=ab

and YOU so need this one:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/generic/5eb7/

Daniella said...

I'm married to a bit of a geek too :) So impressed with binary.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

My husband is a geek/engineer too! He LOVES maps (and squirrels them away in all my closets) though he refuses to actually use them, preferring instead to find his way by looking at the direction of the sun.
You have no idea how crazy this makes me.
Or maybe you do.

discombobulated said...

Yes, of course, binary. The cards count from one to 26 in binary.
Ummm, I have to go do a Google search now.

Heather of the EO said...

I think binary means something about TWO.
But now that I've just started to think about numbers, my brain shut off. So I don't know anything at all right now.

Me + Math (or the like) = zero.

Tonggu Momma Husband said...

0 - 0
1 - 1
2 - 01
3 - 11
4 - 001
5 - 101
6 - 111
7 - 0001
8 - 1001
9 - 0101
10 - 1101
11 - 1111
12 - 00001

and so on and so on

truly ... how often is such trivial geekness able to bring a smile to a child's face?

Janet said...

My husband is also an engineer/geek. Their geekiness comes in handy sometimes....

discombobulated said...

To Tonggu Momma Husband-
You have made it clear as mud. Now I feel even worse.

prechrswife said...

That is classic! I have an education degree from an engineering school. The minds of engineers truly do work differently than everyone else's. And many times, as in this case, that comes in very handy. :-)

Sharie said...

I need to find me one of those Enginerds. I've got lots of stuff that could use fixin around here!

CC said...

Aack! Geek alert!!

Did I ever tell you I have shirt that says "I heart my geek." and We have a kids shirt that says "Geek in training" and My husband has a shirt that says "dad" in binary?!

I think our husbands would get along!