About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Search

Loading...

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Sunday, September 14, 2008

Bubble Tea

A relatively new custom during the Moon Festival is to drink bubble tea, probably because the tapioca pearls resemble a full moon. There exist many bubble tea recipes, but our family found the most success serving bubble tea fruit smoothies to our daughter, the Tongginator. Be sure to purchase extra-wide straws so that you can fully enjoy the "bubbles," which are actually the cooked tapioca pearls.

(Flickr photo by tiny muffins)




How to Cook Tapioca Pearls for Bubble Tea:


1 cup of tapioca pearls (typically only sold on-line or in Asian markets)
6 to 8 cups of water










Makes approximately 6-10 servings.


Boil the water in a large pot. Add the tapioca pearls to the boiling water. (The tapioca pearls should float in the water.) Boil, covered, for about 25 minutes. When the tapioca pearls appear translucent, remove the pot from heat and allow the tapioca to sit in the water for 25 minutes. Drain, then rinse the pearls using warm water. Cover with bubble tea sugar syrup and serve.

How to Cook Bubble Tea Sugar Syrup:


1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups water

Mix both sugars and the water in a large pot. Cook at medium to high heat, removing from the burner as soon as the mixture boils. Cool and serve. Refrigerate any excess, storing up to three days.

How to Make a Bubble Tea Fruit Smoothie
:

1 cup fresh fruit (strawberries, banana, watermelon, mango or papaya)
1/2 cup milk
1 to 1.5 tbsp of bubble tea sugar syrup
1 cup ice
2 fluid ounces of bubble tea tapioca pearls

Place all ingredients except for the tapioca pearls in a blender. Blend well. Pour 2 fluid ounces of the tapioca pearls into a cup, then pour the blended fruit smoothie over top. Pop in an extra-wide straw and enjoy!

6 comments:

LindaJ said...

I just had bubble teas last night...yummm i will totally try making it myself now...Thanks!

K and/or K said...

Crazy thing, a co-worker asked me to sample her bubble tea last week. I had never heard of it before and was intrigued. The bubbles are certainly a surpise!

Rebecca said...

OK... I guess I don't have to order it online... LOL! I can't believe you just told us how to make our own! Cool!!!

LaLa said...

Great recipe..thanks!!

happygeek said...

While I have had Authentic Chinese food many times (and not hte rubbery stuff in teh mall) bubble tea is just not one thing I can get into. I have tried but I'll just stick to Dim Sum. I am Kultured like that.
Happy Moon Festival.

CC said...

I love the "tea" part of bubble tea, but really don't like the tapioca at all. I think it's a sensory thing. Either that, or I don't want to chew my drink!! LOL!