About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Thursday, August 28, 2008

Hawaii Honeymoon Horror

I promised weeks ago that I would fill y'all in on my Hawaii Honeymoon Horror Story. Yes. Well. Ahem. I've been putting it off, for obvious reasons. (Those reasons being that I don't typically enjoy humiliating myself to such a great extent.) But what better time than during Kristen's Sizzling Summer Vacation Spectacle?

I must first admit that this vacation did not occur in the summer, but rather in December about ten years ago. It was, however, on the glorious island of Kauai. And isn't it ALWAYS summertime on Kauai?

Actually, not really. I used to live in Hawaii and after a while your blood thins out and you become one of those people wearing hats and gloves in 50 degree weather... you know, the people you used to laugh at. But I delay digress. Where was I? Oh, yes, my honeymoon.

The Husband and I stayed at a fabulous resort. We did all of the once-in-a-lifetime activities one wishes to do on one's honeymoon. And then we took a helicopter ride around the island.

For those of you unfamiliar with Helicopter Procedures, the pilot typically weighs everyone and then assigns seating based on weight. There's nothing worse than an unbalanced helicopter.

Because... you know... they crash.

The Husband weighed exactly the same as the helicopter pilot, so he landed the choice seat up front, to the right of the pilot. I sat in the back seat, on the left. A honeymooning couple from Alaska sat in the back row with me.

Poor souls. They so, so thought they'd enjoy this $125 flight. Because who doesn't wish to see paradise from the air?


Again I ask you - who doesn't wish to see paradise from the air? Ummm... that would be me.

Because some of us?

We get air sick. Only we don't know that until we actually go on our first 45 minute helicopter ride. The Husband had absolutely NO IDEA I spent the entire trip throwing up. The darling couple from Alaska couldn't help but notice my dilemma, seeing as how I spent the entire trip brushing elbows with the new groom while I vomited.

The. Entire. Trip.

Except for those brief seconds that the Husband would turn around, asking me in an excited voice, "Isn't this amazing? Isn't this gorgeous? Aren't you glad we did this?" He never once saw me actually throw up in my nearly-too-little airsickness bag.

Because I, blushing bride, was motivated like that.

The Husband first became aware of my dilemna after we landed. He disembarked first, then whipped out the camera to capture for all eternity the absolute joy on my face.

Joy... hmmm...


What do y'all think? Is that joy on my face?

33 comments:

CC said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh! You poor thing! I can totally envision this and could see that same thing happening to us! Husband. No idea.

BTW: we also honeymooned on Kauai. And our 1st attempt at a boat ride got ruined when the engine stopped and we had to return to shore only a few minutes into the trip!

happygeek said...

So, been on a helicopter since?

Michelle said...

I am so laughing with you right now. With you, not at you, because that would be so me. I get horrible motion sickness, so I am feeling your pain. Poor you. And poor newlyweds behind you. And how on earth did your husband not realize what was going on only inches behind him? I guess the beauty of Kauai does that to a person.

p.s. I used to live in Hawaii, too. In Kaneohe, Oahu. See, pigs... Hawaii... I'm just full of surprises.

kia (good enough mama) said...

You would have had to PAY ME a lot more than $125 to ride in that helicopter. Don't they have videos of paradise that you can WATCH??!!!

We are THAT Family said...

Oh my gosh! I would have done the same thing.

What a sweet, new wife you were....

I was the same.

Now? Not so much!

Tammy said...

Yep, I would be your long lost sister who threw up on her honeymoon also! Yes, ma'am. We were on a cruise but took one of those shore excursions while at a stop. Found myself on a small boat in the choppy ocean....YAK, right over the side!

CanCan said...

Aww. What a good sport. This was before you had been married a while and felt comfortable enough to tell your husband where to go!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

You are a hoot!!

You poor thing...I don't get air sick, but I do get sea sick, so I know how you must have felt!

I bet you just wanted to get the heck off that helicopter.....at least you were able to keep in in the bag!!

This picture is pricelss!

Thanks for sharing your Honeymoon Horror!

Lisa

mommy24treasures said...

oh my! I got that sick on a boat once, ugh I hate to think about it.

Stonefox (otherwise known as Heidi) said...

I so feel your pain...but I'm laughing anyway! Great story!

Stonefox (otherwise known as Heidi) said...

P.S. We have a Guixi girl, also in Jiangxi.

Georgia Peach said...

I'm guessing from the forward tilt in your walk that your tummy was not joyous...at all. That's brutal.

I have OH SO much sympathy for this kind of predicament. In fact, I think stomachs should come with only one gear... full speed ahead. No need for reverse!

Briana's Mom said...

Ugh! That is awful - but kinda funny too! :)

My sister rode the helicopter on a trip to Kauai. She didn't throw up, but she is afraid of heights. I am sure the claw marks are still on the ceiling of the helicopter.

My sister has a friend though who threw up the whole time when she went on the 'copter.

I get motion sickness when I am in a car. I think I'll skip the helicopter ride!

The Source said...

Awww...how awful! I hope you've stayed on the ground since then!

Rochelle said...

OH Dear... poor thing... I get car sick terribly, and I hate that feeling!

Oh, and I was one of those people who wore gloves in 50 degree weather too. :)

Carolina Mama said...

Bless your heart! It is funny - now!

Kiy said...

I am so impressed that you blogged this, and with pictures! I hope future outings with dh have been a bit more comfortable!

Thanks for stopping by, yes, we do have a bit in common don't we? :)

Kiy

Tree Climbing Mom said...

Just taking that whole "in sickness and in health" bit out for a test drive?

Thanks for the laugh!

Michelle said...

Oh, no! Well, I am laughing here as you are so funny in your retelling of the story...but I know that it was SO not funny at the time! Nope, not seeing too much joy there. Poor think!

Mamatini said...

Poor thing! Did you hand him the bag to throw away? As tree climbing mom said, "in sickness and in health" right?

Growin' with it! said...

you actually have a picture!!! hilarious and pitiful at the same time. what a trooper.

Shannon said...

Oh you poor thing. I used to throw up on planes all the time. I have gotten better about planes, but still can't handle boats and am not even wiling to consider the helicopter. Hubs would be on his own for that on!

Shawnstribe said...

no!!!! i cant believeit!
on your honey moon! that just sucks!
i went to snowdonia in wales UK for ours, a tropical girl from Brasil, walking up a freezing mountain with snow and ice.....half way up, i burst into tears and refused to go any further...Chris?....welll carried on without me!!!!!
well for a while, then felt guilty and came back to rescue me ;)
any more funny stories out there?
xxx
s

discombobulated said...

I can so relate. Now I must blog my small aircraft experience, but it won't be that funny, cuz I don't have a pic.

I bet it took hours to get over the feeling. Remember though, lots of us barfed on our honeymoon. I too, was in Hawaii.

Shara said...

Bless your heart!!

prechrswife said...

Ouch--no fun at all... :-(

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Mike and I went on a helicopter ride around the Big Island... it was great fun... I loved it... I was in the back seat...

Elaine A. said...

Oh the things we do for our S.O.s! Sorry you didn't get to enjoy the trip. I can sympathize since I had a hard time with parasailing but HE wanted us to do it together... Never again! : )

Amie said...

OH SNAP that was some funny stuff. What a honeymoon. POOR YOU! Glad your man had a good time in the front seat pretending to be pilot, oblvious that you were turning your insides out. LOL. Hilarious. He probably would have been "worried sick" had he known. ;)

And poor you, but poor couple next to you! LOL. I smell a demand for a refund. Or maybe that was your breakfast.

God BLess YOU. YOu are so much braver than I. I would have not set foot anywhere near that "death bubble," as I like to call them. SO, YOU GO GIRL.

Thanks for sharing. And my apologies for how much I laughed!

;)
Amie

(p.s. I love how you are "sneaking" your air sickness bag off the copter. NOThing to see here peeps. ;)

Michelle said...

How sweet that you hid it from your husband. I have a hard time hiding anything from mine. Heck, I would probably have thrown up all over him!

And yes, you can link to me tomorrow That would be cool actually! Thanks!

Janet said...

I would be you FOR SURE. I get sooo sick in the car if I read, or on a plane, if there's turbulence. It's ridiculous. I wouldn't go in a helicopter unless I HAD to.....I'm all sympathy....

Debz said...

Oh My Gosh!
You poor thing! Your a better sport than I would have been!

Pondering here....exactly why are air sickness bags yellow? Encouraging little things aren't they...

Lisa @ Stop and Smell the Chocolates said...

Oh, how awful for you! Can't believe your hubby had no idea!