About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Monday, August 18, 2008

0lympic Highlights

I'm sure you are totally sick of me going on and on about the Beijing 0lympics. Just remind yourself that it only lasts for another week, so I'll probably stop blogging about it sometime in September.

Kidding, y'all. I'm kidding.

Still, I'd love to hear your Favorite 0lympic Moment so far. Was it when Michael Phelps (who is from Maryland, by the way) became The Greatest 0lympian Of All Time? Or when Nastia Liukin and Shawn Johnson went one-two in the womens' gymnastics all-round? Or perhaps when the Russian and Georgian womens' shooters won gold and silver, but more importantly won hearts around the world when they embraced on the medal stand? What about the thirty-five gold medals the Chinese earned this first week amid the hometown crowd?

Choices, choices.

My favorite moment?

Well, I have to say that I shed a slight tear when Michael Phelps won his eighth gold medal of the games and broke nearly Every Record In The Books. And did I mention that he's from Maryland, y'all? Because he totally is. (Great people come from Maryland, if you didn't already know that.)

Still, my favorite Olympic moment might possibly be watching the Not Extremely Interesting beach volleyball match between Brazil's Ana Paula and Larissa and the American team of Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh.

Why, you might ask? Well... I just couldn't stop giggling, y'all. Seriously Giggling. Now, I know that Brazil's country abbreviation wouldn't cause much giggling on most other 0lympic outfits, but I couldn't BELIEVE organizers didn't catch this, since the womens' beach volleyball uniform leaves little enough to the imagination anyways.

Am I the only one who noticed? Please tell me I'm not!


Other than the Brazilian Beach Bra, what did you find as the most exciting/ inspiring/ humorous moment of the games... so far?

Inquiring minds want to know.

14 comments:

Janet said...

I NOTICED TOO! NOw I KNOW why we get along so well! We're messed up!!!! LOL!

PS- Where exactly IS Maryland? In Russia? ;-)

Georgia Peach said...

heh, heh, heh...6th grade humor! My favorite.

prechrswife said...

Too funny!

For me, the most exciting (that I've actually been able to see, anyway) was when the US men's gymnastics team won the bronze with 2 alternates, and no one expected them to win anything. (It was not, however, exciting that my 1 year old was wide awake at 3 or 4 a.m., and that is why I was able to see it in real time.)

On the funny side, this afternoon, men's diving was on. Mary Joyce was sitting with me in the recliner. She said, "Mama, show you," and walked over to the TV. She pointed at the diver's Speedo and said, "Gook [Look], panties!" (Can you tell we have potty training on the brain around here?)

Bella's momma said...

You are too funny!!!

Thank you for your help~ I will try it out soon!

Have a great day,

Krista

Trooper Thorn said...

I wonder if the bottoms of the Brazilian volleyball suits say "PANTIES"?

My favorite moment was Canada's men's 8 crew who recovered from their disastrous final row in Athens to win gold in Beijing.

Second favorite: Bela Karoly lambasting the judges and officials over marks and turning a blind eye to the underage Chinese.

Special K said...

Are the Olympics on? Oh I must've missed that. *snort*

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

The BRA is funny!!!

Yes, Michael's golds have been very amazing and all those records.....what an athlete!!!!!

We are still talking about his caloric intake.....I can only dream of being able to eat like that....I heard one interview where they said he tries consume between 8-12,000 calories a day, then they went on to list all that eats. He must have one hefty grocery bill at the end of the week!

Lisa

Michelle said...

Hee! I had a little chuckle over that one too. I watched the women's rowing team win Gold yesterday and the race lasted 6 minutes and I kept saying to my husband "Do you know how HARD that is, what they're doing"? Of course I know this from my one experience racing in the Dragon Boat Festival a couple of weeks ago. That makes me an expert on rowing :)

Alyson & Ford said...

Phelps wins were our favorite - who couldn't love seeing him over and over and over again? I had to watch the replays of the replays!

Love the Olympics, just staying up to late at night!

Alyson
DOR 08/12/08

Michelle said...

I missed that one. Now that's funny! Did the other half of their bikini say Brazilian? :-)
Oh, that's bad. I can't believe I just went there.

I love that Nastia won the Gold. I tell Leila she and Nastia have something in common, since they both came to the US from Moscow, Russia when they were two-years old, but I just love that little Shawn Johnson, too.

Doug and Terrye said...

OMGoodness, my family thought I was nuts because I laughed so hard about "BRA!" Nice to have a compatriot!

Terrye in FL

Michelle said...

Oh, you are too funny! Hey, where do you live? LOL! MD is not too very far from us.
I guess I am one of the only people not watching the Olympics. I sadly do not have the time to watch any TV....I am anxious to buy the DVD to see the much-talked-about Opening Ceremony and to be able to share it with my girls when they are a bit older!

discombobulated said...

I guess I'm not the only one not watching. I catch pieces here and there when I am in my patients' rooms and they are watching. One of my patients the other day said he was related to Phelps.

Aunt LoLo said...

Hahaha...I TOTALLY saw that. :-) I think my favorite moment was more of a background story - it was KNOWING that the Brazilians kicked Kerry and Misty off of the #1 practice court the morning of the match...and then Kerry and Misty WHOMPED on them. The announcer said something to the effect of, "I wonder if it was a good idea for the Brazillian team to tick Kerry Walsh off the morning of their match?