About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Year of the Rat... Umm... Mouse

The Tongginator got a little more than she bargained for during yesterday's game of Hide and Seek with Cinnamon, Spice, Peaches and Cream. The girls loved taking turns counting to 20 and hiding in the far corners of our friend's house. The Tongginator snuck into closets, squeezed behind furniture, crawled underneath tables and generally ran around like a crazy person.

Then she got stuck.

Really, Truly Stuck.

The girls came upstairs from the basement to tell me that the Tongginator needed help: she had a bug stuck to her foot. I assumed the Tongginator, yet again, grew paranoid about a freckle that rests just below her ankle. This freckle takes her by surprise Quite Often. She tends to forget its existence, sometimes assigning it bug-like properties.

This, of course, causes Freak Outs of epic proportions.

Thinking this episode involved yet another Freckle Freak Out, I assumed I could send the girls back downstairs with a message, reminding the Tongginator about said freckle.

I assumed wrong.

Because the Tongginator's foot really, truly couldn't move. And said foot rested within inches of a plethora of dead and dying insects: a wasp, a beetle, several flies and even one poor, pathetic ladybug, all lying amid specks of dust, dirt and grime.

All of them -- the foot, the insects and the grime -- coexisted in harmony hysteria. The Tongginator couldn't unstick her foot and the dead and dying insects surely seemed beyond all hope.

Because underneath the Tongginator's foot sat a mousetrap... the adhesive, sticky kind.

(Mouse Activists everywhere, Friends of Mickey and Templeton... please be aware that this wasn't my house. Therefore, it wasn't my trap. Therefore, I really don't want to hear it.)

Now where was I?

Oh, yes... so the Tongginator's foot appeared Attached Forevermore to a cardboard cutout with a newly designed pattern I like to call Insect Guts.

I felt so scared.

And completely exasperated.

Trust the Tongginator to find the only off-limits corner in the whole of our friend's home. We told the girls to avoid that section of the basement, but, alas, the Tongginator is the Tongginator.

Plus, she's smart, y'all.

And she knew that an excellent hiding place during a game of Hide and Seek involved a forbidden corner of the house. She chose wisely... or so she thought.

But she caught herself in a web trap of her own making. Oh, how she cried. And I couldn't pull that trap off because, despite my tough exterior, I'm truly a marshmallow when my daughter's in pain. I deal heartlessly with skinned knees and bumped heads, but a foot practically glued to an insect graveyard is beyond my capabilities.

So I made Canuck K do it.

And she did a fabulous job, y'all. Of course the Tongginator's fully recovered now (thanks so much for asking), although she spent half the day yesterday hoping on one foot... not due to any injuries, of course. She hopped and stood like a flamingo all afternoon because it took Quite Some Time for the adhesive to fully disappear, even after several cleanings.

Just so you know, nail polish remover works Quite Well to remove the sticky adhesive from a mousetrap. I mean, in case you ever need to know that. Because you just might.

Like, if we come to visit y'all sometime.

And now I will always remember the Chinese Year of the Rat as the year the Tongginator got stuck in a rat mousetrap.

16 comments:

happygeek said...

Oh so funny.
I love that she was hopping around. Might as well milk it for all it's worth.

prechrswife said...

Ouch! Glad to know all is well now.

Laura L. said...

I love this story! I enjoy your writing. So fun. :)

Thanks for your comment on my blog. The fishing game - I don't totally love it either, but will occasionally play if asked. I was secretly glad she asked her dad that day. :)

Mamatini said...

Your stories are just too funny! I swear you could write a book. And can I say, "the freckle that takes her by surprise" (sic)? Brilliant turn of phrase!!

Muthering Heights said...

Poor little thing! :)

Janet said...

Note to self: Remove all mousetraps from my house when you visit. Oh, wait! I don't have any. I have cats. Note to self: Makes sure Tongginator doesn't get stuck to my cats.

Gotta GROW with it said...

poor thing, the dead bugs were tramatic enough!

Briana's Mom said...

Oh.my.gosh. I know this incident has probably scarred the Tongginator for life (LOL!), but I cannot stop laughing! It's pretty funny. I KNOW Briana would have done the same thing. She gets stuck all the time - in fact one of her favorite words is "stuck". Nice, huh?

BTW, we are still teething and a little cranky. One top molar is in - one to go...

Georgia Peach said...

Ewwwwuh! Makes my skin crawl just imagining those dying insects gasping for air and reaching out to Tonnginator's foot in a final heroic effort to pull themselves free from their sticky grave. (this is why I don't watch scary movies ...the imagination runs wild)

Note to Janet....bah hahahaha!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Oh I could barely get through this post....I thought for sure that there was going to be a dead mouse along with the bugs!

It sounded like a pretty sticky situation and I am glad that you both survived it....I am sure she won't be playing in any basements for a long time!!!

Another day in the life of The Tongginator...she never lets us down!

Lisa

Beachy Mimi said...

Oh the drama brings back so many memories! My ex walked into one of those hanging sticky flytraps once. You talk about drama. I'm sure the Tongginator handled it much better than he did. I love the standing on one foot. She is a trip.

Kia said...

I would have FAAAAAAHReaked if I were her! You want to see song and dance? I can give you song and dance. Especially if you stick my foot to a mousetrap and throw some dead, half-dead, and half-alive bugs into the mix. I think your little Tongginator is my new hero. She rocks!

Pssttt... I have to ask, though: Did you get photographic evidence? Just wondering, is all..... ;)

a Tonggu Momma said...

Kia -- No!!! I didn't bring my camera! And I was disappointed about that... although I also felt guilty that I felt disappointed.

I am excited that Canuck K finally entered the 21st century, though. She FINALLY left the world of dial-up, so here's hoping she starts reading and commenting on the blog (and backing up my stories). LOL.

Tismee2 said...

Hi, have hopped (just like Tongginator)over from Jujuboo'd blog to say hello.

I can imagine the scene - would a boy be more fascinated in the bugs do you think? I don't have girls and think my two would sit for hours pulling wings and legs off quite happily for scientific research.

I like your colour scheme - off to read more..

Cajunchic said...

You are so good at making me picture exactly what you are saying.

Shawnstribe said...

You have made my day!!!!
i have a smile from ear to ear!!!!
i love love love thispost, and i will always remember the year of the rat!!!!!
xxx
s