About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Search

Loading...

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Parenting Blogs Add to Technorati Favorites
Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Under Water

It's been so long since I felt overwhelmed during one of the Tongginator's sensory episodes, I forgot how it feels. It's amazing how your own version of typical becomes... well... typical.

Sensory processing disorder remains very much a part of our lives, but we've spent three years developing a sensory diet for the Tongginator and building coping skills for me. It's rare that something shakes me up.

Yet I felt as shaken as a Bond martini this past weekend, y'all.

When we visited Tonggu Grammy's pool last Friday, the Tongginator fully submerged - on purpose - for the very first time.

Why?

Because I gently encouraged her to dunk her head under the water. I told her that if she willingly tried it this one time, Momma wouldn't even THINK to ask her about trying again for the "whole rest of the summer." The Tongginator knew how to close her eyes, plug her nose and blow bubbles. I'd taught her everything I could, as did her various swim instructors, but I couldn't teach her how it felt under water unless she actually tried it. So I encouraged her, y'all, because I love her.

And she tried it because she loves me, too.

She tried it for about five seconds.

And it didn't go well.

The Tongginator came up out of the water completely non-responsive with her eyes rolled back in her head and her head spasming to the left. I tried capturing her attention, but received no response. I called her name every couple of seconds, waiting for her to regain awareness and control. After a bit under a minute, my concern grew to panic when the behavior didn't stop. I felt silly for behaving like an over-reacting momma, but I truly thought I viewed a seizure.

That's when I called for Tonggu Grammy to come closer. Because isn't that what most of us do when we are in trouble? No matter our age, we tend to run to our mommies.

Tonggu Grammy quickly reacted, coming over to watch the Tongginator for a minute. The behaviors didn't cease. The Tongginator remained unresponsive, her eyes rolled back and her head jerking around. Tonggu Grammy called out the Tongginator's name a couple of times. The Tongginator finally responded on the fourth attempt.

Oh. My. Word.

Then - slowly - the Tongginator blinked the excess water away from her eyes, rubbed her face and said, "I didn't like that AT ALL. I don't wanna do that again."

No kidding.

So... does anyone want to place bets on what age the Tongginator will be before she submerges again? I'm thinking... never.

And - after Friday's experience - that's totally okay with me.

14 comments:

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

That must have been so scary....my heart was in my throat just reading about it. I am glad that she is Ok.

I would have called for my Mom too!

Sophie's Mom said...

That's soooo scary!!! I was on the edge of my seat just reading about it!!!

goodfountain said...

Oh my! I'd be so upset by that too! Yes, dunking her head is important, but it can wait till she's ready.

Here are some virtual hugs (()) for that scary time.

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Oh my... that would have been scary as anything... something is telling me she won't be doing that again... take care

Cheri H said...

How scary! I know first hand how scary seizures can be so even the thought of one makes me shake! Hugs to you both!

Mamatini said...

Whew, how scary that must have been for you. Isn't something how our moms always have our back? You for your Tongginator, your mom for you. I'm glad she was there for you.

prechrswife said...

Oh, my! I would have been scared to death. Is everything okay today?

Shawnstribe said...

no kidding!!!!!! big hugs all around.....ive seen this happen before, and i can help a little i think.
Give me an email as i havent got yours....i promise it will not involve full submersion for a while : )
Bless her sweet heart
xxxx
s

goodmum said...

First things first: are you sure it was YOUR kid you witnessed? Positive it wasn't MY kid? Wowzers. I thought WE were the only ones with the water issues as a result of SPD!

My son freaks out at every droplet of water that dares land on his face or any body parts surrounding his face. The thought of getting him to dunk himself under the water is ludicrous. And now, I'll admit, after reading about your experience and thinking the whole time how this could be MY experience one day, I'm not sure I'll EVER ask him to dunk his head.

And the seizure-like behaviour? Sounds like my Little Man's meltdowns. Wow.

It's nice to read about someone else's experiences that are so similar to my own.

I found you as a result of a link from Good Fountain. I'll be back!

Janet said...

Oh dear me. I would have fainted myself. I would be a basket case. Oh dear me. That makes me feel sick. I'm so glad she's okay.

Beachy Mimi said...

How scary for all of you! I am so glad she's okay.

Cajunchic said...

Ugh that sounds awful. I am so sorry you had to deal with that.

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

I am so sorry you all had to face this! I am grateful for you that all is okay.

Briana's Mom said...

Wow - that is scary stuff. I would have been hysterical. I am so glad to hear that she is ok.