About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Melissa Gilbert, Y'all

The Tongginator loves it when someone reads to her -- she truly does. At times in the not-so-distant past, especially when she first transitioned to the English language, I read to the Tongginator for hours every day.

Hours, y'all.

Now, I love to read. It's my most favorite activity. And I love reading to my daughter. But I just can't do it for hours every day, especially when it's the same book over and over.

And over and over and over.

It's exhausting, y'all.

Plus, I always seem to gain wait when I do it.

So I about keeled over with joy when I found this site. The Screen Actors Guild now sponsors Storytime OnLine where famous actors read books for children everywhere.

Famous actors, y'all.

Like Melissa Gilbert.

It takes a minute or two to load the story into your browser (as long as you don't have dial-up), but then your child can enjoy a wonderful ten minutes or so with a book. It's not a replacement for live reading and parent-child interaction, but it works in a pinch while you are trying to get dinner on the table. It totally works for me.

And it's Melissa Gilbert, y'all.

From Little House On the Prairie.

Sigh. I loved that show.

Am I the only one who pretended to be Laura Ingalls, wearing dress-up calicoes, wading through a "stream" that was actually a sewer and climbing up to a tree house that looked, to my eyes, like a log cabin?

Did anyone else do that?

Anyone at all?

Okay then.

Maybe it was just me.

13 comments:

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

You were not the only one....not sure if you remember the whole praire skirt look, but I think it was Jessica McClintock who took the Laura Ingalls look and ran with it in department stores.....totally wore it and loved it because it took me back to those books!

Great tip about the online reading!

Have a good night!

Lisa

The Apron Queen said...

Oh, you definitely weren't the only one! Maybe we were neighbors. :D Thanks, I'll have to check this out.

Come try out my finger-licking good, messy, sticky, but SUPER easy BBQ rib recipe: http://anapronaday.blogspot.com/2008/07/easy-bbq-ribs-recipe.html

The Momster said...

We have used this site in a pinch before when The Doodlebug had left her reading book at school - it was wonderful and quite entertaining. Thanks for the reminder for future reference. :)

Carol said...

What a cool site! Wish I'd had that around when mine were little.

Nichole said...

What a neat site! Thanks for sharing it.

Gina said...

That's awesome! Thanks for the link!

Cajunchic said...

We love Little House On the Prairie especially Monkette. I am going to have to check that site out. It would be good to play while the kids were going to sleep.

Mamatini said...

Oh, yeah. You aren't the only one. In the vein of humilating moments, I'll share that during the episodes when Almanzo was courtin' Laura I was so desperate that I forced my older brother to tape record (this was before VCR's) an episode that I was going to miss because I had to go to choir practice! Bless his heart, he did it, but oh, the teasing was merciless!

Janet said...

I never saw Little HOuse till I was a teenager. My mom didn't like us to watch tv. So I really WAS the kids climbing trees and wading through streams. No log cabin, though. :-) I did love the show when I got to watch it. Still do.

:: Suzanne :: said...

That was the ONLY show they let us watch, and yes, we lived it out too. I bought all the old shows for my kids.

Karen said...

I loved the Little House series, but mostly in book form. By the way, many public libraries also offer similar reading services for kids.

Alyson & Ford said...

I loved Little House on the Prairie!! I love the web site too. So cool... can't wait to use it.

Alyson LID 01/27/06

3XMom said...

wow! this is great! Thanks for letting us know!!!