About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Friday, July 4, 2008

Freedom! Freedom!

Today, y'all, on the fourth of July, I'd like to write something worthy of remembering. I'd like to, but it would probably spiral downwards into some type of ramble. Our nation's belief in freedom and inalienable rights doesn't deserve that, so I won't even attempt it.

Instead, you can just read what some Great Minds have to say about freedom... people such as Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King, Jr. These were Great Men, y'all. You may also want to check out what Paul and Jesus said on the topic. It is my belief that the greatest freedom in life exists when we love God and love others before ourselves. Two simple commands that mean Everything.

Having said all of that...

I'm now gonna share with y'all what I, Tonggu Momma, think of when I hear the word "Freedom!"


That's a photo of my childhood cat, y'all.

I know.

But we met him the day the hostages came home from Iran, just hours after we waved to those brave individuals descending from the plane onto the tarmac at Andrews Air Force Base. It's a day -and event - forever etched in my memory.


We named our new cat Freedom, in honor of those brave individuals.

Unfortunately, we weren't really thinking ahead when we named him.

Freedom was an indoor/ outdoor cat. Now imagine walking down the streets at dusk, calling out "Freedom! Freedom!" as you peeked into neighbors' backyards.

It's a picture, ain't it?

Fortunately, we typically lived on military bases, so most people didn't even bat an eye.

Fortunately, my daddy and others like him embraced that principle I hold so dear: to love others before they love themselves.

Fortunately, I grew up in a country where that was possible.

Now go hug your children, your spouse, your friends, whomever. Eat some of that corn on the cob, potato salad and apple pie. Watch some fireworks. And say a quick prayer for the men and women of our Armed Services, who don't have a say in where they go, but still do their level best to protect others before they protect themselves.

Happy Fourth of July, y'all!

May it always be a free one.

5 comments:

Briana's Mom said...

Happy 4th of July to you and your family! I already had some corn on the cob - yum!

Mamatini said...

Of course, now I've got Mel Gibson in Braveheart yelling, "Freedom" in my head -- not a bad visual, really -- but he's yelling for a cat, and that isn't quite the thing I was going for... :/

Janet said...

LOVE the "Freedom" story! Too funny! I could just see you going down the street yelling "FREEEEDOM!" Tee hee. Nutso bananas, that's what you are....:-)

prechrswife said...

Happy 4th (on the 5th)! Love the story about Freedom the cat. :-)

discombobulated said...

Well said. Brings back childhood memories of the yellow ribbons tied around the trees and, of course your kitty, Freedom. The nostalgia is overwhelming sometimes and I get goosebumps. I worked on July 4th taking care of those who celebrated their freedom with a little too much ETOH.