About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Creamy Pasta Salad

This week Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer is hosting a Five Ingredients or Less Works For Me Wednesday. That means it's about cooking.

Cooking, y'all.

Now, everyone who knows me in Real Life knows that cooking is not necessarily my forte. I follow a recipe quite well. I even make a stellar pie crust -- if I do say so myself -- but the Husband is our home's True Chef. I'm just the Sous Chef in our household.

Still, even I can manage a dish with five ingredients or less.

I took lots of photographs because I don't think y'all would believe me otherwise when I say this dish is tasty. Neighbors and friends request its presence at the many picnics, BBQs and block parties we attend. They'd probably feel stunned if they learned where I found the recipe.

(It was from the cafeteria lady at the primary school where my momma teaches. And yes, to answer your question, she wore a hairnet... the cafeteria lady, not my momma.)

Now I've totally chased you away, haven't?

Well, I just don't want you to set your expectations too high. My hope, however, is that you enjoy this recipe so much, you feel ashamed of any negative thoughts that perhaps popped into your head about the cafeteria lady's hairnet. She's a truly nice lady, y'all. And her hairnet is nice, too... for a hairnet.

Creamy Pasta Salad


1 pound rotelle pasta: cooked, drained and cooled
1 cucumber: mostly peeled, chopped ("mostly" peeled gives it some color)








1 pint grape tomatoes, halved













1/2 to 1 cup pepperoni or turkey pepperoni, each slice cut into quarters













Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl.















I know -- it doesn't look too interesting yet, does it? Have a little faith, y'all. There's still one more step.













I just poured half a bottle of yummy Caesar salad dressing over that pasta salad. Then I stirred up that Goodness. What do you think?












It's Creamy Goodness, y'all.

Now, I realize Northerners might deem this a Special Treat, since that Caesar salad dressing contains 11 grams of fat per serving and the pepperoni eeks slightly ahead with 13 grams (although turkey pepperoni isn't as tasty fattening).

But Southerners definitely label this dish Healthy. Look - it's got Actual Vegetables That Haven't Been Boiled To Death.

As for Midwesterners, they might wonder, "where's the mayonnaise?" There isn't any, but don't allow the lack of vital ingredients mayo to prevent you from Trying Something New.

I promise it's Good, y'all. Enjoy!

11 comments:

prechrswife said...

That sounds good. We may just have to try that one. That's my kind of cooking. :-) (Hubby is the primary chef around here, too.)

The Momster said...

Oh the pictures make it seem even more delicious - now I want some!

Adding that to the grocery list as I type....

Lisa @ Stop and Smell the Chocolates said...

Looks yummy!

Nikki said...

I'm drooling already! I can't wait to try this. I always wondered about cucumber that wasn't all-the-way peeled. Now I get it! It does look nice that way.

happygeek said...

As a Canadian who lived two years in Texas I killed myself laughing at the "healthy/unhealthy" description.
SO TRUE.
Looks yummmy.

Jenn said...

sounds good! I will have to make this on a hot summer evening.

Jen said...

Mmmmm...my stomach just growled. I'm making my weekly menu now and this bad boy is going on there. :)

Cassandra Stafford said...

You are right on about the southern idea of healthy. Too funny.

Karen said...

Oh, look, a recipe I can probably handle.... I might try it. (By the way, my daughter is adopted from Korea.)

Christine said...

In the Summertime, all I make is Pasta salads, and anything that doesn't require actual cooking.
I've made something similar to this, but I LOVE ceasar dressing, and pepperoni.:)I'm going to have to try this one.

Thankyou for sharing.

~Christine
www.arewethereyetmom.com

Tami said...

This sounds great. I am going to try it for a 4th of July cookout we are going to.