About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Case of the Missing Birdseed

The Husband and I so could not figure it out. We believe ourselves to be fairly bright not totally moronic individuals, but the answer alluded us for an embarrassing number of weeks. Every time the Husband and the Tongginator filled our bird feeders, the seed vanished within two days (or less!).

What in the world was happening?

This past weekend I couldn't handle it anymore. I am not the type to allow a mystery to remain unsolved. There weren't enough birds alive in our state to eat that amount of bird seed in such a short period of time. I knew, deep in my bones, that something was amiss.

So I staged a stake-out, y'all.

Seriously.

A capital S-T-A-K-E out.

I wore camouflage and everything. (Not really.) But I totally could have if I wanted to because we actually have some in the house. In reality, I wore my flannel, blue plaid PJ bottoms and a grey tank top. I don't understand why I wore those PJ bottoms, since it was about 100 degrees outside AND after 10:30 in the morning, but I digress...

Watch this quick one minute video for the results of my stake-out.

Oh, I should be a police officer. Or at least a private eye.

But I should definitely NOT be a cinematographer. Nor a movie editor. Just call me Spielberg, y'all. (Canuck K does... but then she usually laughs.)

Watch the video anyway.

14 comments:

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

That squirrel hit the jackpot!

I also wear winter pj bottoms in the summer.....and since there are days that I work from home....I could be found sitting at my desk with no makeup up on as late as noon...still wearing my good old pj's

Have a good one!

TAMI said...

We have the same problem. Since I haven't gone out and purchased a "squirrel proof" bird feeder (which they DO make) we've STOPPED feeling the "birds" for now.

Cajunchic said...

lol My mom has the same problem with her feeders. She even got one of the squirrel proof feeders and they still manage to get it.

Kia said...

Hahahaa! My dad had this problem. Know what he did? He Vaseline'd the entire post and upper area so that when the squirrels climbed or jumped onto his feeders, they slid right off. Two things he got out of this: 1. the seed lasted a lot longer and 2. it was fun to watch the squirrels slide down the pole! :)

Dawn said...

That is too funny. I love the video, especially with the music. I think you should use the above idea about putting Vaseline on the top of the post and then turn your camera on and watch the squirrel slide off.

discombobulated said...

you couldn't have picked better music. u are hilarious.

prechrswife said...

Somehow, I had an idea it was going to be a squirrel before I ever watched the video. :-) Love the editing job and the music--too funny!

Briana's Mom said...

Yep - I actually stopped feeding the birds for this very reason. I have a perfectly good bird feeder sitting in my garage right now...

Beachy Mimi said...

This is so funny! I loved the music. Squirrels are agile little creatures. I do love the vaseline idea. Just be sure to film it.

a Tonggu Momma said...

Kia is absolutely brilliant (and I have no way to contact her to let her know I think that). I totally agree with y'all. Maybe some would consider it animal cruelty, but I'm planning a Vaseline Video in the near future. Then we'll be running out to purchase one of those squirrel proof feeders... but only after I capture some GREAT video!

Debz said...

ROFLOBO too funny!!!!

My mom got one of the little rascals on video trying to take an apple up a tree....it was too heavy and blocked his view going up the tree forwards so he attempted to run up the tree backwards. Sly little tickets.
LOL

Georgia said...

darnit! couldn't see the video. But I'm guessing it was a SQUIRREL! We spotted one eating out of our bird feeder on the deck out back. To get to the feeder he had to scale a 15+ foot pole (not hard since the do climb trees and all) but then he had to hang off the pole by one scrawny toe in order to reeeeeeach the feeder.

He hung there as long as he could - completely unmiffed by the fact that he was hanging over an abyss by a toe! At the last moment he swung back to the railing and dashed back down the pole.

Probably heading off to tell his friends where we kept the birdseed.

OH MY #6 said...

that bugger!

Lea
xo

Gotta GROW with it said...

i found you thru rocks in my dryer. and i was wondering if you wanted to borrow my dogs!