About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Monday, June 23, 2008

Leapster Love

Before I became a mother, during my years teaching four- and five-year olds, I often imagined quietly sitting with my children at our kitchen table while I patiently taught them new skills such as cutting with scissors, writing letters and reading those early simple sentences such as "the cat sat on the mat."

Yeah.

I know.

That dream has since flown out the window.

The Tongginator hates - absolutely hates - for me to teach her new things. For a long time, I thought it was all me. I'm not the most patient person. I'm a bit of a control freak. Therefore, I pretty much chalked up the Tongginator's attitude to my failures as a mother.

Ouch.

But then...

Last week we purchased a Leapster to occupy the Tongginator on yet another airplane ride. That's when I learned that it wasn't just me. The Tongginator fell in love with her Leapster. She also fell in hate with it. It was a love-hate sort of thing.

Because the Leapster? It told her what to do.

And we all know the Tongginator doesn't like ANYONE telling her what to do... not even a recorded voice on a video game. We heard all sorts of comments from the Tongginator, as she huffed and puffed and lectured her Leapster:

"Just let me do it MY way!"
"I KNOW! I HEARD you!"
"Momma, it keeps saying NO to me."
"But I want to do it THIS way!"
"Stop SAYING that!"
"Momma, it won't let me do it MY WAY."
"I AM doing it right!"
"Why won't you listen to me?"

It took all I had not to giggle. And I must admit that I also sighed a huge sigh of relief. Because where I failed, the Leapster succeeded. It took only two days for the Leapster and the Tongginator to reach a truce. I'm guessing that is because the Leapster beats me - hands down - when it comes to patience.

And now comes my plea to Leapfrog Enterprises. Is there any possible way you can expand your software offerings to include coursework in Calculus, Mandarin, Physics and English Composition? Because, y'all, I don't expect this trend to go away anytime soon.

And - while you're at it - can you also quickly develop some new games to teach proper table manners and bathroom etiquette?

4 comments:

Alyson & Ford said...

So this vision of me sitting in the back of my daughter's first grade classroom peacefully helping her and her classmates cut out hearts to glue on their Valentine shoe boxes... You mean, it may not be so peaceful? :)
peace
fm

Nicole said...

OH MAN - we need that kind of Leapster too!!! Your Tongginator and our Princess Isabelle are soooooo much alike - it's kind of scary!!

Briana's Mom said...

Ok - now that is funny - and scary at the same time - LOL! Briana has a stubborn streak too. Yikes!

prechrswife said...

Okay, Nicole, now you're being scary again... I keep thinking that Mary Joyce is a junior version of Tongginator. :-) If Isabelle is, too, watch out, world!

By the way, TM, I just tagged you with a blog award (if you do that kind of thing, anyway...)