About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Search

Loading...

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Sunday, April 20, 2008

Watching Mary Through Martha Eyes

Amazing.

That is the word that enters my mind when I think of ItalianMama. She's the Idea Woman, the Big Giver, the Mary who made Thursday evening possible for the Ashes family. She's also a neighbor and now a friend. (ItalianMama is pictured on the left ... with her permission, of course. I especially love the crown!)


Last Saturday, on April 5th, the Husband and I felt so very sad when we discovered that the Ashes canceled their Disney World trip. They made that last-minute call the day before their departure due to Rosie's deteriorating health. I felt devastated on their behalf. It wasn't that they couldn't "go" to Disney; it was that the memories they hoped to create together wouldn't happen.

My heart just hurt.

And so I did what I always do: I jumped into action. I knew they didn't have meals scheduled, or childcare for the week - after all, they were supposed to be soaking in Orlando's rays of sunshine. So I told Ring how very sorry I felt. I prayed for Rosie's health and God's peace to settle over the family. I made a meal. I drove the children to preschool. And I watched twins Pocket and Posies on Thursday.

I mean, what else can you do?

Except privately cry.

Only there WAS something more that someone could do. It took a Mary, rather than a Martha like me, to see it. ItalianMama didn't jump into action like I did.

She sat.

She pondered.

She prayed and meditated.

Then what began as a quiet whisper in her soul grew to a loud roar ~ if they can't go to Disney, why not bring Disney to them?

So she did.

And she did it all in a few days time, mostly over her cell phone, since she attended an out-of-town bridal shower the weekend of the 12th. ItalianMama will be the first to admit that she received a lot of help. The entire neighborhood -- our block and ItalianMama's street -- worked HARD to create this event. They Gave Big.

With their Time.

With their Wallets.

With their Love.

Yet it all began with one woman's idea... an idea which sprang from a Mary soul rather than a Martha brain.

As Jesus and His disciples were on their way, He came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to Him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what He said. But Martha was distracted by all of the preparations that had to be made. She came to Him and asked, 'Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work myself? Tell her to help me!' 'Martha, Martha,' the Lord replied, 'you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken from her.'
~ Luke 10:38-42


I'll say it again.

Amazing.

4 comments:

Mamatini said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I've read a couple of your postings and it sounds like your Tonggu girl is as "fiesty" as mine!

Good luck with your wait for number two!

Cajunchic said...

This story is so uplifting. It is amazing that one woman did so much for so many.

discombobulated said...

Beautiful post. Just like you and Italianmama are beautiful.

Kim said...

I love reading your post, you are a very inspiring writer...and your daily adventures are very interesting. I love the cute names you give everyone! So sorry about your neighbor...she is blessed to have a neighbor like you, too many times in this world one would be going through this alone...the comfort of friends is a God send