About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Websites for Young Parents

I thought I'd share a few of my favorite website resources that might be helpful to parents of young children, especially those children who have special challenges.

Able Play: Developed by the National Lekotek Center, this site independently rates and reviews everyday toys for children with special needs, most especially those who face physical, sensory, communicative and/or cognitive challenges.

The ASL Browser: The American Sign Language Browser provides video of over 1000 signs ... very convenient if you need clarification about a specific sign, since you can watch a professional in action. (As an aside, I also love the Signing Time DVDs.) Learning sign language promotes language development and also can increase social interaction.

I tend to toy shop on-line now, checking out sites such as Lakeshore Learning, Super Duper and S&S Worldwide. I find it easier to scope out toys that better meet the Tongginator's needs.

I also find helpful the attachment-friendly activities listed at both A4EverFamily and Attach-China. These lists originally developed to benefit adoptive families, but they are universally helpful, especially for families that face challenges such as extended hospital stays, cognitive or sensory issues, just to name a few.

And, of course, there is also everyone's favorite Starfall, which helps teach reading comprehension and phonics!

4 comments:

{Karla} said...

these are great links!

Thank you!

Blessings,
Karla

Chrissy said...

Thanks for the links! I also wrote about parenting links this week. I'll be sure to pass these along to my pregnant friends!

Dawn said...

Those look like some great sites that you put the links to. I'll have to check some of them out.

The name of your blog really caught my attention because my daughter is from Tonggu, too.

Laane said...

Thanks for the links. They're handy.

You can find my tip at:

Laane on the World

Have a great week and an amazing spring!!!