About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Monday, March 24, 2008

Hosting and Holding

How did I end up hosting family holidays? Well, actually, I know how it came to pass (my sister just had a baby and can't travel far due to a few medical issues resulting from that birth), but how the heck did I end up becoming the family holiday hostess? Don't get me wrong ... the Husband and I enjoy it, never bat an eye, and everything else you can think to say to reassure my blog's contingent of lurking family members.

We experienced a wonderful Easter celebration yesterday. Well, except for the fact that I never had the chance to hold my niece BabyRuth, who is now almost two weeks old. There is a definite pecking order to these things, you see. I'm fairly certain it is the same with all families.

The baby's momma always comes first; then any great-grandparents present, or others of a comparable age, as long as they are capable of not dropping the baby on her head; next come the grandparents, with of course the female grandparent receiving priority; then other female relatives of the same generation as the grandparents; next the aunts and female cousins; and last on the list include any and all of the assorted non-elderly male relatives who might actually express an interest in holding an eating and pooping machine. This includes the baby's father.

Yesterday our family never made it past the grandparent stage.

Harrumph.

Otherwise we thoroughly enjoyed our morning at church and the family celebration afterwards (complete with manic Egg Hunt). But still, how the heck did I become the family holiday hostess? It doesn't irritate me or even stress me out (possibly because the Husband does all of the work), nor does it cause any other negative emotions you contemplate.

It just makes me feel old.

I can remember, growing up, always going to the "old people houses" for holiday dinners and celebrations. We rarely went to my hip, young aunt's home to have Easter dinner. Actually, we never went there, at least, not until she reached her fifties. Goodness, I can remember even sitting at the kid's table during my college years, alongside my cousins who still attended junior high and elementary school.

When did the change occur? When did I go from eating at the kid's table to hosting the actual holiday dinner?

I am now officially old.

3 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

Thanks for the email. I hope you know you are not alone. Thats the big reason I post openly about Tinks problems. I want to help others.
Blessings.

Cajunchic said...

I can relate to your post. I also feel old every time I fill out something for a sample online and have to scroll down just to find my birth year.

Thanks for posting on my blog. it always makes me feel better to know there are others going through the same things as us.

Janet said...

You and me both, sister.