About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Thursday, March 20, 2008

Grapes of the Spirit

Those who stop by this blog frequently can probably read between the lines and guess that Tonggu Momma is a Bit Of A Control Freak. And also impatient, with a sassy mouth to match. She also likes to talk about herself in the third person, quite probably because she thinks of herself as Queen of the Tongginator Household. But then, don't we all think of ourselves as Queens?

Thank goodness our God is a Big God.

Yesterday God used the Tongginator to hammer into my pathetic self a lesson that He's been trying to teach me for years. I like to call this lesson Grapes of the Spirit. Here's why ...


Now, on a typical day, I would see that and blurt out, "WHAT do you think you are doing? Absolutely not! You don't put grapes on a sandwich like that." Yes. Well. Usually...

Yesterday, however, the Holy Spirit whispered in my ear, "Tonggu Momma, is it THAT big of a deal? Really? Are you sure? Take a deep breath, relax and let your daughter just BE." So, I obeyed. And I backed off. This may seem quite silly to some of you, but remember that I am a Bit Of a Control Freak. Hey, I don't appreciate raised eyebrows, people. Oh, alright ... perhaps I am a Huge Control Freak.

Still, I backed off.

Bit my tongue.

Counted to ten.

And grabbed my camera to document this momentous occasion. Here is what happened:


After her first bite, I asked the Tongginator, "so, how did that work for you?" She looked up at me with a sheepish expression and replied, "Not too good." Then she quietly pulled her sandwich apart and piled all of the grapes back on her plate. Within twenty minutes, she finished eating her lunch, grapes and all.

Hallelujah ... the angels are singing ... the earth stood still for a second ... and Miss Manners didn't jump out of the closet to reprimand me.

I walked away yesterday with a very valuable lesson. God rewards those who exhibit the fruits of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23). The fruits that come to mind in this instance include the ones I most need to work on ... well, drat ... could they possibly be patience? and gentleness? and ... ahem ... self-control?

I could have reacted. God asked me not to. And He allowed the Tongginator to simply BE. What a lesson for me.

God will lead my daughter down His path ... not my path. And goodness, learning that - even in this small way - takes a tremendous weight off of my shoulders.

3 comments:

Aunt LoLo said...

Love it. I remember my friends piling all sorts of weird things on their sandwhiches in elementary school...but once they piled it on, there was no WAY they were taking it off. That would be chicken. Glad your daughter is both creative AND humble! hahaha

I was really excited for a minute, though - jam with absolutely NO extra sugar or preservatives! ;-)

Gerbil said...

A grape sandwich is pretty darn cute.

Rachel Marie said...

That is so cute! My kids do these silly things too- like dipping their pb and j in ketchup!