About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Sunday, March 30, 2008

Flying High

Can you guess where we traveled yesterday?


Not yet? Maybe this photo will help...


Still not sure? If you aren't positive after seeing this next photo, either I need more photography lessons, you've never visited the United States, or you might possibly require a lesson in famous American landmarks.


Well, aren't you the smart one! Yes, Tonggu Daddy and I took the Tongginator on her first-ever train ride: we made the trek to Washington, D.C. so that we could catch the action at the 42nd Annual Smithsonian Kite Festival as well as opening day of the National Cherry Blossom Festival. Yes, decision-makers in D.C. scheduled the two events on the same day (oh, and the National Marathon). Yes, Washington, D.C. felt as crowded as a sardine can. Yes, we had an absolute blast, although nothing particularly Blog Worthy occurred.

A short lesson on kites: Kites date back almost 3,000 years ago when the Chinese first began constructing them out of bamboo frames, silk bridles and silk threads. In the Spring and Autumn Period (770 - 476 BC), they created kites large enough to hold a small person (sometimes a child) so that the military could observe the position of enemy forces. By the prosperous Tang Dynasty (618 - 907 AD), the Chinese more often viewed flying kites as a spiritual, cultural and artistic experience. The Chinese especially love to fly kites during the upcoming 淸明节 (Qing Ming Jie), or the Clear Brightness Festival, which occurs this year on April 4.

2 comments:

Aunt LoLo said...

Oh, how cool is that?! I bet Miss Tongginator loved it!

Dale said...

I was there too!! I don't know how I missed you?? My photos were not nearly so good........I think I needed the flash. I thought it was neat though. Take care. -Dale