About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Friday, February 1, 2008

Kai-Lan Has Mulan Hair

There is a preview episode On Demand for the new Nick, Jr. show Ni Hao Kai-Lan, which the network advertises as weaving together bilingualism and biculturalism. Basically, it's the Mandarin Chinese version of Dora, The Explorer, although it also focuses on culture in ways that Dora, The Explorer does not. The Tongginator and I watched the preview show early this morning before school. Taking my cues from Shelley, another Tonggu momma, I asked our Chunky Monkey to review it. Here is what she said:

TONGGU MOMMA: "Tell me about the new show we just watched."

TONGGINATOR: "You mean Ni Hao, Kai-Lan? It was about dragons. They were getting in the dragon boats and rowing. They met a new dragon. I liked Kai-Lan. She has a ye-ye. I have a ye-ye: his name is Grandfather."

TONGGU MOMMA: "Did you learn anything new?"

TONGGINATOR
: "I didn't learn anything. She didn't teach me anything. She was just playing with her friends. She has Mulan hair, too -- like me. I knew all the Chinese words. We all yelled "tiao!" when her friend had to jump up high to get the dragon boat. And we said yi, er, san ... but I know how to count really high in Chinese. They didn't say wu or jiu or si or anything. They just said one, two, three. That's all."

TONGGU MOMMA
: "So ... did you like it?"

TONGGINATOR
: "Yes. Kai-Lan has Mulan hair."

Well, there you have it. It's a great show because Kai-Lan has Mulan hair. I hope you enjoy it! Ni Hao, Kai-Lan premiers on Thursday, February 7 at 11 AM on Nick, Jr.

0 comments: