About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Thursday, February 28, 2008

Juno Reaction

Tonight my friends Tic, Yin and I went to dinner and a movie: the quintessential girls' night out. We ate disgustingly unhealthy foods and then headed to the theater to watch Juno, which won the Oscar earlier this week for Best Original Screenplay. For the most part, I enjoyed the movie. I also felt some emotions that the average viewer might not experience. And I pondered some thoughts not typical for the average person on the street.

At this point, I really don't wish to share my reaction to Juno because I still haven't clearly formulated my opinion nor my basis for that opinion. However, I do wish to discuss the lines that caused such buzz amid the China adoption community. If you've seen the movie, you know exactly of which lines I speak. Juno, the pregnant teenager, tells the prospective adoptive parents, "You shoulda gone to China. You know, 'cause I hear they give away babies like free iPods. You know, they pretty much just put them in those T-shirt guns and shoot them out at sporting events."

In context, the dialog simply highlights this teenager's inability to comprehend situations well above her emotional maturity. I didn't personally take offense to these lines, although I understand others' distress. What upset me was the audience reaction. The entire theater burst into laughter, and someone from the back of the theater called out, "They're everywhere," which created even more laughter.

They. They are everywhere. Take a minute to absorb that statement. If you personally know our little Tongginator, how do think she might feel about this comment at age 10? age 15? age 20? Some of you may shake this off as a comment from the Peanut Gallery, but I don't. I label it.

And I label it as racist.

4 comments:

Aunt LoLo said...

Racist...I suppose it is. I would consider it more as sad. Sad that there IS some truth in it, sad that people could not want their beautiful little daughters...sad that people who laugh at it haven't done more to fix it.

Bless you for taking in a little girl that needed you.

a Tonggu Momma said...

What's so wonderful about adoption is that everyone is blessed. She is such a blessing to us as well. :)

Special K said...

Wow...
no words really.

Gerbil said...

hear hear. You'll love this one... when J was an infant, I'd taken him into the doctor for his check up and the nurse OBVIOUSLY didn't look at the name on the chart.

She began insisting he was jaundiced and I needed to have him checked out away.

I looked at her and said "You do know he's HALF KOREAN, RIGHT????" She turned red and left the room. Moron.