About Me

My little button

Our Little Tongginator

Blog Archive

Design by

Weaksauce Blogs
Friday, February 29, 2008

Flunking Hair

The Tongginator has what we affectionately call "the Asian swirl" on the back of her head. It's been three years, and I still don't quite know how to manage it. Everyday the little Piglet asks for pigtails and I try. Oh, how I try. But it never quite works out. I didn't realize how obvious it was until a woman at the supermarket, who flirted with the Tongginator, called attention to my total lack of skill.

WOMAN: (looking at the mismatched colors and patterns on my daughter's body) Did you dress yourself today?

TONGGINATOR: Yes! I love my pretty shirt. See, it has flowers on it. One, two, three flowers.

WOMAN: I see. Very pretty. And did Daddy do your hair today?

TONGGINATOR: No, Momma did.

WOMAN:
(crickets chirping) Oh.

Below is a picture of the Tongginator on -- believe it or not -- one of her better hair days. She especially loves the "Topsy Turvies" shown below, which an eleven-year-old taught me, step-by-step. It took longer than the eleven-year-old anticipated, but she finally helped me memorize the procedure. To be fair to the woman-at-the-grocery-store, the Tongginator's hair looked MUCH worse on the day in question. The pigtails sat lopsided and they weren't Topsy-Turvies.

5 comments:

Aunt LoLo said...

Oh, I feel you. OH, how I feel you! I married a wonderful man from Hong Kong and one of the things he brought to our marriage (I'm a white chick from Idaho!) is..not one, not two...but THREE "cowlicks" or swirlies. Two of them are in the back of BBJ's head, right next to each other. The only thing we have been able to figure out is to put her in "puppy dog tail" pigtails. Ponytails are nearly out of the question.

I'm so glad I found your site! I lived in Hong Kong for two years, but it doesn't seem like enough to raise a bi-lingual, bi-cultural BEAUTIFUL "eurasian" baby girl!

Janet said...

Don't worry about it! I think they look great!

I have to do AFRICAN hair soon! Somebody help me! :-)

Special K said...

Oh boy. This hair this is going to be interesting. :)

Spades said...

I don't know which is worse...the swirlies or dealing with Eliana's tangles (from black/white biracial hair) morning, noon, and night. One of these days I'm going to have to take a class. But I tell her she has beautiful hair every day!

a Tonggu Momma said...

Spades -- you used your blog nickname! :)